<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Walk me through your entire production chain. How do you have grain production set up? Are the pig farms set to common food? -6 wheat, -3 common food, +6 fancy food? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a saved game after victory, try it out. Set up one pig farm (all 3 work yards dedicated to pigs). One pig needs 2 grains, so setup 2 grain farms (6 work areas). All of them connected to same storage. Set 4-5 wells around storage. Right now leave pig farm to no food (we will change it later)

Now setup two noble houses as butchers (6 work areas) also connected to same storage (leave them on simple food for now). Let it run for a while and watch the storage. If any worker runs out of water or grain, you will see them complaining. Once you have some accumulation of ff, then move the pig farm and butchers to ff. I can see all of them reaching 100% efficiency once things settle down. You will see fancy food number going up. Now you can move other houses, mines to fancy food. If mines are too far away, then I don't bother trying to deliver food there.

If you see total number of ff still going up, that means you have surplus. If you see it dropping, then watch storage to see where is bottleneck. If you have grain surplus, you can use it to make beer (just need water) and sell at tavern (make money)

And exactly how viable does it seem to connect 3 farms with 6 grain barn and 3 pig farm, 2 Noble houses with 6 butchers and 4-5 wells to *one* storage?

Sure, there's obviously a map that allows this but, it seems like a *very* specific scenario to use this..

Let's see, 3 farm, in itself, take *LOTS* of space (In total the space of what should be 2 storages, then add the space of the grain itself, which is about the same size, now making up space worthy of 4 storages, on TOP of that you add 4-5 wells, which must all be connected to a road, and then 2 noble houses...
    I'd like to see screens of this setup in a working situation where it isn't at the end of a game on atleast 4 different maps...

I had tried this on a huge skirmish map where you play against 3 other AI. The sector to the left is castle area is green, I had set it up there. Obviously you won't have enough space on smaller maps, so just scale everything down (one pig work area, two grain area in one farm).

As for storage houses, I had only one upgraded storage house in center so that all of them were using it. If you set up more storage houses, just use upgraded road so that movement between them is fast. Upgraded roads between producers and consumers are also must.

Logistics of food production and distribution can get quite complicated and depends on the map, distance between producers/consumer, etc. I had tried above scenario just to get a feel of fancy food effect. If it does not work on some map, I won't use it (or use some variation) .

Actually I think you'll find that hunters can be of better use here as they take far less space, don't need farm support and still generate unlimited meat.
    The drawback will obviously be that you'll have them spread out a bit,
    but it's, in my opinion, a better solution for general purpose.
    Less effective but more useful.
    Mainly because the current maps provided at release are crap, tiny and Blue Byte apparently have something against grass. :P

Whats to like ... its green ... doesn't match the logo

Btw Great post icydude !

Good guide thanks! I keep forgetting that hunters need Butchers now, so used to settlers IV.

The question is:Pigs or hunters?
    I always have problem with my hunter looking for a deer in a full of trees forest

Depends on the map -

Hunters
    Pro:
    Takes little space,
    Self-sufficient Tier1 gatherer
    Doesn't rely on transport routes to gather

Cons:
    Must be near Game nodes,
    Game replenish slowly
    Usually spread out
    Relies in potentially long transport routes to supply butcher

Pig farmer:
    Pro:
    Constant producer
    Not Node dependant
    Can be placed freely

Cons:
    Requires two resources to function
    Takes ALOT of space
    Potential to bog down other transports passing through.

So just scan the map and pick what fits the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snigam:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icedude94:
    To get all that working, you'd need 14 fancy food. That's 7 pig farms. 14 butchers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just set one farm (3 work yards) dedicated to pig farming. Two noble houses (6 work yards) are set to butcher. It produces enough food to feed army of 25 and run rest of economy on fancy food. As for water, I just put 4-5 wells close to storage and it works fine.

Hunting animals is risky because you run out of animals. Pig farms give predictable, steady supply. Just need proper setup. Watching that cute animation of pig being taken to slaughter house is added bonus . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's currently a bug where storehouses will sometimes stop running to get water if there is a large number of them nearby, and even if they are in a spot that the storehouse can't recognize. This makes the piggery efficiency drop to 0%.
    This creates a difficult situation for people wanting to have the piggeries all in the same sector.

I always make a farm with 3x piggery attached to it while i play campaign maps.

My towns are a mess, covered in grain farms etc, but it works. The use fancy food is pretty much always outnumbering the production, but this is due to distances between work places and such.

I place piggery/grain farm/well/butcher as close to each other as i can, then just send fancy food to important buildings such as tool maker/guy who makes iron ingots & the mint.

I do it this way because i can never rely on hunters as i am not sure how long the supply of food lasts (can't bloomin' see the amount of deer left in dense forest due to all the trees!).

In short, i never bother matching up the usage of foods with the production numbers.