Thread: STOPPING PIRACY (IDEAS NEEDED) | Forums

It's a bad news that pc version of the ghost recon is cancelled. Like many others ,I was looking forward to this, however there's little we can do to get UBI to release it on pc. At this moment we continue making legit pc purchases and encourage our friends and family to do the same or gift others with a legit purchases. However there's also one other way we can help pc gaming industry. Instead of reacting , we can come up with ideas that can help or contribute to stopping piracy. Most of the users here are very creative and smart. So you guys can give your thoughts on how to stop piracy .In that way we'll be helping ourselves as well as business organizations like UBI. It's a win win situation. So guys let's put on our thinking caps and get the ideas flowing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

It's a bad news that pc version of the ghost recon is cancelled. Like many others ,I was looking forward to this, however there's little we can do to get UBI to release it on pc. At this moment we continue making legit pc purchases and encourage our friends and family to do the same or gift others with a legit purchases. However there's also one other way we can help pc gaming industry. Instead of reacting , we can come up with ideas that can help or contribute to stopping piracy. Most of the users here are very creative and smart. So you guys can give your thoughts on how to stop piracy .In that way we'll be helping ourselves as well as business organizations like UBI. It's a win win situation. So guys let's put on our thinking caps and get the ideas flowing.

The solution can be found at this post:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...151001569#2151001569

Stop with the crappy ports have dx11 support
    Prpper mouse and Keyboprd suppeort
    NO DRM & Bedigital on relise date & 1 pries for all Regons not 50 for 1 & 90 for the ather
    and relise it at the same time
    pesides DRM is more like Tunting hakers to crack youre games

Check this out. This is how Bohemia fights with piracy
    http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/11/9/news/84033/
    I think Ubi could do smth like this.

TBH it's not so hard.

You make a worthwhile online game.

Actually this is very hard and many try and fail, but stick with me here... you make a worthwhile online game and then require Steamworks to play.

Simples.

The SP... I dunno. People tend to pirate this because it's 5 hrs long.

I am tempted to pirate MW3 for this reason. Instead I'll just wait till it's in the 2 for £15 rack at GAME.

You can't "stop" piracy no one ever has on anything entertainment related be it movies music or games. You could shut the net down tomorrow and it would crawl back to markets or under store counters etc. You can't stop the black market in anything you can only fight against it in a never ending battle.

The best and only solution is to reduce piracy and increase sales as best you can. there are many varied and well known reasons for piracy ranging from the "stealing" pirates who just do not want to pay for anything to actual paying customers getting around silly DRMs that get in the way of playing their game

First you look to those and the things you can change to help reduce piracy.

1. DRMs - One reason constantly coming up in the priacy debate, we are constantly told they need to use them and they "have to do something" but I see no benefit to any of them other than some symbolic security blanket that actually harms sales and your relationship with the customers, increases the cracking and downloading. CDProjekt have shown little DRM (changed to no DRM after 2 weeks) can still earn you sales. If absoutely you must have a pointless security blanket for your product make sure the customer is not restricted by it like this awful internet chaining culture we see today. It's time many in the industry start waking up like the music industry did....eventually.

2. Demos - People want demos you don't give them that they go elsewhere to see if their money is worth spending and more importanlty they need to see if it works on their system, it's baffling that the platform in most need of a demo is ignored while they throw them at consoles and even go off to sell demos as pre-order "beta" testing bonues on consoles.

3. Sell you game - Fact is a lot of piracy comes from areas the industry does not sell in at all, how can they moan?

4. Quality - Not aimed at everyone but certainly at Ubi, they are now quite famous for sloppy work. Hardly encourages sales. PC gamers clearly don't mind having the same game as consoles owners as long as the benenfits of the platform are used as well.

5. Online features - Offer good but OPTIONAL online features gamers want. Ubis own cloud saving would be a good example of this, had they not chained us to the net their "benefits" might actually have been that.

6. Special one for Ubi - stop insulting an entire platform, you won't do anything but drive yourself of the platform like that.

That lot will starting building sales and a relationship with conumers but you have to have at least some real world logic with piracy these are luxury entertaiment products they'll always be a black market. Personally I think that was Ubis downfall, they took piracy personally and made the customer suffer for it like a guy who has a crap day at work and comes home and kicks the dog.