Thread: How to control camera during replays- the less obvious stuff? | Forums

Hello all!

Movie-noobie hoping for some help

I always use F1 for cockpit view, F2 for external, F3 for fly-by. +SHIFT for other planes on my side, +CTRL for the other side's planes. F6 shows the the targeted plane in the same frame as your plane.
    I use mouse or TrackIR to look around and use gunsight/normal/wide buttons to zoom in and out.

I would like to be able to move the subject plane off screen centre, quickly zoom in/out much further than my gunsight/normal/wide buttons allow. More varied fly-by angles would be nice, camera shake, ground targets.

I have used search here, saw Darts tutorial and a few others- they all concentrate on recording and editing video files, but not on the actual use of il2 cameras.

Pat smoke MOD does not work with my Ultra Pck 2.01 - I've tried.

But, even without Pat smoke mod, I still could not find nswers to two of my original questions: How to zoom quickly in external view? FOV + and - only have the range of gunsight to wide, i saw people using faaar greater zoom range and very quickly too- like they were using mouse wheel or something.

What did this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=feedwll&list=WL press to get the basic angles at 2:36 to 2:45?

And here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...9r9o&feature=related (from 7:30 to 7:45)?

Any advice or direction onto a site that has such info would be great!

------------------------------
    AiraCobra attacks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Many thanks for your detailed answer, very much appreciated!

Yes, it was just a matter of using F2 view and using left mouse button+ mouse movement to zoom. I flew for about a year but never discovered such a simple thing!.. (I ahve also just very recently learnt that ingame map can be moved by holding RMB+LMB haha)

Static cameras I believe are assigned by mission builder? And then its just a matter of shifting through all units by ctrl+F2 ar shift+F2 until you get to them...

Invisible plane for camera shake is a great idea actually, will try that as well, thank you!

Just one question, how to move the subject plane/unit off screen centre (left/right/up/down)? Lets say I view my plane with F2, but want to position it at the bottom of the screen rather than perfectly in the middle?

------------------------------
    AiraCobra attacks!

Originally posted by U8ijz4:
    Many thanks for your detailed answer, very much appreciated!

Yes, it was just a matter of using F2 view and using left mouse button+ mouse movement to zoom. I flew for about a year but never discovered such a simple thing!.. (I ahve also just very recently learnt that ingame map can be moved by holding RMB+LMB haha)

Static cameras I believe are assigned by mission builder? And then its just a matter of shifting through all units by ctrl+F2 ar shift+F2 until you get to them...

Invisible plane for camera shake is a great idea actually, will try that as well, thank you!

Just one question, how to move the subject plane/unit off screen centre (left/right/up/down)? Lets say I view my plane with F2, but want to position it at the bottom of the screen rather than perfectly in the middle?
    Yeah, the static cams can be found in FMB in the objects list. You CTRL-left click them onto the map.

Not sure how to get that plane off center. Maybe using Vertual Dub, you can crop it and do it that way. V Dub has tutorials on youtube.
    Good luck, glad to help. This game is a never-ending learning experience.

M2morris has very good advice there on the camera tricks with stock camera use.

One thing though, there is a difference between zoom and dolly. Zoom is the changing of your field of view from wide to narrow (telephoto). Dolly is the physical movement of the camera closer of farther away from your subject.

In IL2, Zoom is the field of view and for UP2.01 and pre 4.10 Stock IL-2, there is no way to do so smoothly, is is all in 5% steps/increments.

To Dolly in IL2, one presses the LMB and moves the mouse backwards and forwards to move the camera. But to do a steady, smooth shot is nearly impossible. However there is a program call Joy to mouse that lets you make mouse movements with a Joystick. I assign a button to the mouse movement and the trigger as the LMB. Pull trigger and press button and the camera moves at a steady rate to my subject.

I would give a link of my IL2 movie that shows this off very well, but it has been blocked due to copyright infringement of the music

As to:
    Originally posted by U8ijz4:Pat smoke MOD does not work with my Ultra Pck 2.01 - I've tried.
    You have a PM.

For a variety of fly by views you can change these settings in conf.ini (it does mean you have to restart game though)
    [HookViewFly Config]
    timeFirstStep=10.2
    deltaZ=90.3

-----------------------------------
    or

[HookViewFly Config]
    timeFirstStep=10.2
    deltaZ=30.3

------------------------------------
    or

[HookViewFly Config]
    timeFirstStep=6.6
    deltaZ=-40.7
    deltaY=3.0
    deltaX=80.0

---------------------------------------

[HookViewFly Config]
    timeFirstStep=2.6
    deltaZ=180.3
    deltaY=3.0
    deltaX=80.0
    To track with mouse (pref high DPI for smoothness)use a piece of hardboard around 18" x10" (none of that new fangled metric stuff here)rather than a mouse mat with limited area.
    Personally I prefer using TrackIR for panning with the sensor mounted on a small tripod or dolly (a toy car could be adapted ).

Selecting , say the farthest aircraft from your pov and focusing on the nearest can give interesting results and may be a solution to your wanting to move Ac to left or right of shot.