Thread: Some answers to some of your questions | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Player Experience Manager
    Hi !

How are you ? I have gathered a few of your questions and I have been able to find some answers to them. It will hopefully explain a bit more our strategy and reassure you about the future.

- Is Clash of Heroes a « real » M&M game and just a way to make money on the brand?

Clash producers:
    <span class="ev_code_BLUE">As for Dark Messiah, the first intention has never been to sell off the brand by adapting it to all gender and platforms, but really to add another branch to the Might&Magic tree in order to broaden its public, always keeping in mind its values and quality standards.
    Clash of Heroes is the result of a really nice encounter between Ubisoft and Capybara, a young Canadian studio. We haven’t heard the last of it!

Apart from the continuous “universe” which is obvious (Clash of Heroes is situated in Asha world, 40 years before Heroes V), this game is faithful to what we consider the pillars of the M&M brand: among other stuff, the faerie and epic alliance, the Manichaeism disinclination, a simple first hand but rich in strategic choices game play, a game rhythm that adapts to every player and the central existence of 1 or more heroes that are carrying out the action.</span>

- Why this choice of anime/manga graphics for Clash of Heroes? Aren’t you scared to grieve a part of the regular M&M public?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">It is indeed a risk. We are carefully following forums on different community websites dedicated to M&M and we know that part of our public is reluctant to the Final Fantasy or Zelda visual style.
    We think though that it is particularly adapted to the DS and other Clash of Heroes components (game play, history).
    The artistic orientation gives a really readable and attractive game, according to us, despite the platform technical constrains. Within Ubi and Capybara (Clash of Heroes Developers), everybody is fan of this visual style.
    This enthusiasm has also been seen when the game was presented to the press, which let us think we have made the good decision</span>

- Heroes Kingdoms, Clash of Heroes… Ubi seems to capitalize on the “Heroes” name. What are the chances to see one day a real Might&Magic X desperately wanted by the fans?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">For Ubi, M&M is now an umbrella brand, which will be therefore more associated to a identifiable and indentified universe, to “commandments” or “values”, more than to a specific game line-up.
    About that, we have decided with the strategic marketing team of Ubi to unify all titles on a world wild level and to name them M&M blabla instead of blabla of M&M.
    The M&M tag becomes therefore for our fans and players the guaranty of a heroic fantasy universe, incredibly rich and profound for all the games series.
    But, to answer the question, it does not mean that there’ll never be a RPG Might&Magic. Only that it won’t be called M&M X.
    Then, what will make it different from the 3DO M&M, only future will tell…</span>

- Are there other projects linked to the M&M license that you can already talk about?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">We cannot say anything but some hints have leaked: on some video where some nice producers are showing a new cloth collection dedicated to the brand!</span>
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Player Experience Manager
    Hi !

How are you ? I have gathered a few of your questions and I have been able to find some answers to them. It will hopefully explain a bit more our strategy and reassure you about the future.

- Is Clash of Heroes a « real » M&M game and just a way to make money on the brand?

Clash producers:
    <span class="ev_code_BLUE">As for Dark Messiah, the first intention has never been to sell off the brand by adapting it to all gender and platforms, but really to add another branch to the Might&Magic tree in order to broaden its public, always keeping in mind its values and quality standards.
    Clash of Heroes is the result of a really nice encounter between Ubisoft and Capybara, a young Canadian studio. We haven’t heard the last of it!

Apart from the continuous “universe” which is obvious (Clash of Heroes is situated in Asha world, 40 years before Heroes V), this game is faithful to what we consider the pillars of the M&M brand: among other stuff, the faerie and epic alliance, the Manichaeism disinclination, a simple first hand but rich in strategic choices game play, a game rhythm that adapts to every player and the central existence of 1 or more heroes that are carrying out the action.</span>

- Why this choice of anime/manga graphics for Clash of Heroes? Aren’t you scared to grieve a part of the regular M&M public?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">It is indeed a risk. We are carefully following forums on different community websites dedicated to M&M and we know that part of our public is reluctant to the Final Fantasy or Zelda visual style.
    We think though that it is particularly adapted to the DS and other Clash of Heroes components (game play, history).
    The artistic orientation gives a really readable and attractive game, according to us, despite the platform technical constrains. Within Ubi and Capybara (Clash of Heroes Developers), everybody is fan of this visual style.
    This enthusiasm has also been seen when the game was presented to the press, which let us think we have made the good decision</span>

- Heroes Kingdoms, Clash of Heroes… Ubi seems to capitalize on the “Heroes” name. What are the chances to see one day a real Might&Magic X desperately wanted by the fans?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">For Ubi, M&M is now an umbrella brand, which will be therefore more associated to a identifiable and indentified universe, to “commandments” or “values”, more than to a specific game line-up.
    About that, we have decided with the strategic marketing team of Ubi to unify all titles on a world wild level and to name them M&M blabla instead of blabla of M&M.
    The M&M tag becomes therefore for our fans and players the guaranty of a heroic fantasy universe, incredibly rich and profound for all the games series.
    But, to answer the question, it does not mean that there’ll never be a RPG Might&Magic. Only that it won’t be called M&M X.
    Then, what will make it different from the 3DO M&M, only future will tell…</span>

- Are there other projects linked to the M&M license that you can already talk about?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">We cannot say anything but some hints have leaked: on some video where some nice producers are showing a new cloth collection dedicated to the brand!</span>

Thanks for a quick update on some of the questions asked in the other thread.

Official Whisky taster and Herald to the Mighty Alderbranch.
    "The clues are out there.....S.N.A.F.U."
    Anno Fans | Settlers Maps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For Ubi, M&M is now an umbrella brand, which will be therefore more associated to a identifiable and indentified universe, to “commandments” or “values”, more than to a specific game line-up.
    About that, we have decided with the strategic marketing team of Ubi to unify all titles on a world wild level and to name them M&M blabla instead of blabla of M&M. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed a very bad and unnecessary idea. Might and Magic has always been a brand when the "off" titles came.
    Also this kills MMX, a very sad day for us indeed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> For Ubi, M&M is now an umbrella brand, which will be therefore more associated to a identifiable and indentified universe, to “commandments” or “values”, more than to a specific game line-up.
    About that, we have decided with the strategic marketing team of Ubi to unify all titles on a world wild level and to name them M&M blabla instead of blabla of M&M. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. MM doesn't "become" a guarantee, it has always been a guarantee.

P.S: And if Ubi isn't willing to make MMX, could you please sell the rights to someone who is.
    The great nations have always acted like gangsters, and the small nations like prostitutes - Stanley Kubrick

So just to clarify:

If I'm reading this correctly, the (horrible) anime style is only for the DS game and will NOT be used for Heroes VI?

I'm okay with the ("has-nothing-to-do-with-heroes-whatsoever") design for the DS, but I can not express just how devastating it would be to the series if this design was used for Heroes VI!

Dear Xhane, can you please reassure us that a "potential" Heroes VI will stay true to its legacy, and be anime free?

First off, thankyou Xhane for taking the time to gather the answers and indeed actually ask these questions in the first place. Good proof that you're serious about getting involved with this community. I'm still adding my comments on the producer's remarks, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The M&M tag becomes therefore for our fans and players the guaranty of a heroic fantasy universe, incredibly rich and profound for all the games series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, few people seem to consider the Ashan universe incredibly rich or profound at all, it's more of a laughable mockery than anything else -- I'd anticipate either a sharp improvement in storyline and world quality, or otherwise youd be better off considering another reboot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About that, we have decided with the strategic marketing team of Ubi to unify all titles on a world wild level and to name them M&M blabla instead of blabla of M&M. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what substances the "strategic marketing team of Ubi" are on, but I urge them one last time as a fan with the good of the series in mind to reconsider. The change is not clever, it creates a chaotic, gaping naming inconsistency with twelve previous games including expansions, it messes up the identity of the series and is completely awkward. I can think of no reason in favor of the change, and almost everybody who expressed an opinion in the poll I made disapproves of it.

Also, does this mean Ubisoft will never, or at least, not foreseeably be redistributing any of the series games preceding HoMM V (MM 1-9, HoMM 1-4) ? It doesn't take a doctorate in buisness studies to know that that's a poor marketing decision.

It's as though youre trying to sever all ties with the previous games and make your own mark, but if that was the intention from the beginning then why not start a brand new "MM-inspired" series instead of spending money on this license...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But, to answer the question, it does not mean that there’ll never be a RPG Might&Magic. Only that it won’t be called M&M X. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just depressing. Solid proof above: the true Might and Magic series, 1986-2001, is officially dead for good. Make way for its mangled corpse, it's about to be FrankenSteined into a brand...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's as though youre trying to sever all ties with the previous games and make your own mark, but if that was the intention from the beginning then why not start a brand new "MM-inspired" series instead of spending money on this license... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hear, hear.
    The great nations have always acted like gangsters, and the small nations like prostitutes - Stanley Kubrick

Well, of course they bought it to get money. What do you expect? It is a capitalist company. Ubisoft had been looking for something like the MM brand in order to catapult into the Turn Based Strategy and RPG universe for some time and even offered to buy MM for a good price when 3DO still was in business. Had 3DO not declined Might and Magic IX would have been a good deal better instead of lessening the value of something like Might and Magic X considerably and so Ubisoft probably would have made a profit on MMX right away.

Regarding the name change, while I disagree with the name change due to nostalgic reasons, your statement unfortunately is wrong. The old farts are old farts, well versed in PC games and we aren't too likely to be confused when we see a huge Might and Magic sign, and the old games will be sold at places like Good Old Games rather than in stores - stores will die in the foreseeable future anyway. The main target of Ubisoft when it comes to MM therefore consists of new players whom they can draw into a consistent brand with a strong identity without losing too many of the old players - in which MM Kingdoms and Clash of Heroes are strikes of brilliance. It is a lot easier to see and recognise "Might and Magic" than "of Might and Magic".

The money lies in new games, not re-selling the old ones and even then if you are wondering what comes before Heroes V it won't be difficult to find Heroes of Might and Magic. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those who bought HoMM V never played the old games and that proportion will increase with each game. If Ubisoft then plays its cards right, the new fanbase will increasingly be a part of the Might and Magic brand, rather than Heroes or Might and Magic games. There was competition among the old communities, mostly good natured, and many players were utterly ignorant of the other games especially when it came to HoMM players knowledge on MM. With a clear and consistent brand the same degree of ignorance won't be possible and it will be easier to start afresh in that regard as Might and Magic.

So in short changing to Might and Magic will make the games more visible for new players and not diminish them much for the old ones (we aren't that stupid), make it easier for Ubisoft to shape their own world and make it easier for them to unite the fanbase.

Of course all that depends on how they treat the brand. If they emphasise that the story is the same, that the universe is the same and that the players will enjoy all the games they very well might make them buy more of the Might and Magic games than otherwise. However, that stands and falls with their ability to realise that the story of Ashan so far is horrible and even close to rubbish, that the games must be polished in order to not annoy the players and that stuff like the Map Editor and AI need to be considerably better the next time around right from the original game rather than the last expansion - not to mention the way too rushed Dark Messiah. But the extra time spent on Kingdoms and the time they seemingly use on Heroes VI gives me some hope there although I am far from as optimistic as when I joined 1 day after the announcement of HoMM V.

In order to really make it work they also need to do more for the community than so far, keep fans interested and let us all feel that we make a difference. One of the big blunders there was the leak of a secret forum for some chosen players which were allowed to work closer with the Devs in order to advise on behalf of the entire community - allegedly it closed down or went inactive shortly afterwards, and it is a long time ago, but still. Stuff like that is not the best for community building even though it is good for the Devs. What they should have done is:

1. Asked the community to elect some of the chosen players - not all, but some representatives.
    2. At least made the community believe and feel that they and their contributions still were important
    2.b. a great way would be to make said representatives make a bit of work on gathering opinions and leaking discussions which the Devs allowed them to leak - you can see the success of something like that with TsuChi and mtkyebra in Kingdoms.
    3. Given us someone like Xhane immediately.

That said, I reserve bragging rights for predicting the response on MMX Guess that was the best we realistically could expect.
    I see you - when I turn away
    I hold you -when my hands are full
    I kiss you - when you aren't here
    - Freedom -
    Never shall you be more than a name to me

Nice to see some activity from UBI.. So when's the Big announcement coming ?
    ----------------------------
    Originally posted by C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s:
    *shakes his fist at the heavens*

Damn you Dane! Damn you!