Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash Video - Lt. Kara Hultgreen | Forums

Im sure some of you have heard of Kara Hultgreen. If not, she was the first female F-14 Tomcat pilot, she stalled her plane and crashed it into the Pacific, and was killed in ejection.
    I wanted to know if there is any video of her crash off the stern of the USS Abe Lincolin. Im pretty sure there is, and I would love to see the video if someone knows were I can find it.

Thanks.
    "When you're out of Tomcats, you're out of fighters!"

ABIT KV8 64 Guru Motherboard
    AMD 64-bit 3000+
    Western Digital 80gb HD Serial ATA
    1GB Corsair 3200 DDR
    Prolink nVIDIA GF6800GT 256
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by helk61:
    Im sure some of you have heard of Kara Hultgreen. If not, she was the first female F-14 Tomcat pilot, she stalled her plane and crashed it into the Pacific, and was killed in ejection.
    I wanted to know if there is any video of her crash off the stern of the USS Abe Lincolin. Im pretty sure there is, and I would love to see the video if someone knows were I can find it.

Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen that video (where a tomcat stalls and rolls to the right, while the crew ejects)

Too bad I forgot where I found it, but it is out there, somewhere...

hmmm..sounds very interesting, would be great if someoen could find it!
    <CENTER>

| AMD 3500 | 6800GT 256MB | 2 GIGs RAM | 232 GB HD |</CENTER>

I have seen it while back and read the full
    report (I can`t remember where the heck I found
    it) I`ll ask around - some of my friends might
    still have it.

I would really appreciate a link or download.

Someone was saying that the crash wasnt pilot error. Blade temperature analysis and the RIO both confirmed that it was Hultgreen's fault that the plane crashed after she came in too slow and stalled the PW TF-30 engine. She attempted to correct it by throwing the Tomcat into afterburner which catipulted it into the Pacific.

This video might help me prove this person wrong.

AMD 64-bit 3000+
    1GB Corsair 3200 DDR

http://www.panix.com/~baldwin/hultgreen_mir.txt

Not a video, but its the MIR for this crash. I haven't read through it yet.

BTW...Did the F-14A she flew in 1994 still have TF30s?
    "To be afraid of living is to be afraid of dying. How can you get past this, and cherish the fear of flying?"-Juliana Hatfield

CHINPOKOMON!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by helk61:

Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i do believe that LT Hultgreen did not even eject from the stricken Tomcat. if memory serves me correct they found her still in the ejection seat when they retrieved the tomcat...

No, she did leave the fuselage, but due to the roll and the angle of ejection, the seat didn't have enough time to deploy the chute at all, so it was like: bang, whoosh, whoosh, splash Those GRU-7 seats were good, but the parachute system deploys way too slow (it uses a drag chute to pull out the main chute instead of a mortar)

Thats right Force Feedback.

She was found in her seat oly yards from the Tomcat 19 days after the crash. Her RIO heard the distinctive "popcorn" stall on the left engine, and knew what was happening. When he saw her throw the Tomcat into afterburner to get speed, one engine was stalled, and the other was still working on full blast. This torqued the Tomcat into a roll. The RIO was the one who initiated the ejection. He landed in the water with no serious injuries, Hultgreen was punched out directly into the water. So yes, she did "eject" but was killed instantly when she hit the pacific at 200 mph.

- And yes, all F-14A models use the TF-30. In the 1990's during the A to D program, the Pratt and Whitney's were removed and replaced by General Electric GE-F-110's. The GE was a much better engine and really brought the Tomcat to were it is today.

AMD 64-bit 3000+
    1GB Corsair 3200 DDR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast