Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B-29's shot down | Forums

As I recently started playing Juri_js's Home defence campaign, flying J2M3's against Amercian bombing raids against mainland Japan I began to wonder how many B-29's were shot down over Japan.

It's quite hard to bring it down even in the game (except with successful head-on attack), so it must have been a real treat to bring it down IRL.

Are there any exact numbers on B-29's lost due to IJA/IJN fighters and antiaircraft fire?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

As I recently started playing Juri_js's Home defence campaign, flying J2M3's against Amercian bombing raids against mainland Japan I began to wonder how many B-29's were shot down over Japan.

It's quite hard to bring it down even in the game (except with successful head-on attack), so it must have been a real treat to bring it down IRL.

Are there any exact numbers on B-29's lost due to IJA/IJN fighters and antiaircraft fire?

Banned
    A number of them didn't make the 7 hour trip back to Tinian. So "shot down over Japan" isn't the same as "lost". I have that from a man who flew B-29's from Tinian. There were enough that didn't make it that a lot of crew would deliberately play poker right up to leaving and stop the last hand before finishing because then you just HAVE to make it back to finish.

On one mission, Joe as bombardier took shrapnel to the head and spent the entire trip home lying on the very cold deck. And he went back again because he couldn't leave the others short and look in a mirror again. On one mission they dropped at the leading edge of a firestorm and the thermal picked the plane up, flipped it and by the time they pulled out of the dive the thing was bent and heat buckled. They ditched at Iwo that time and all got medals, Joe got an extra for flying the plane right into danger just to precision bomb and incidentally signal the rest of the formation to drop theirs, boombedy-boomb, right where they should hit as per the mission.
    They almost bought it from no cause of AA or fighters. That was their Teddy Roosevelt mission, a rough riding SOB, the worst he recalled to me.

He also did say that he saw Japanese fighter pilots did shoot USAAF crew in parachutes and he shot theirs when he could.

Get yourself this book and you have most of the information you are looking for very detailed!
    B-29 Hunters
    It has lots of pictures and eye witness accounts, of various B-29s that where brought down. And it seems to be a fair amount, that either where shot down through flak, fighters, or where rammed.

This B-29 of the 770th BS/462nd BG was rammed over Mukden on the 7th of Dec. 1944 only two survivors, which ended up as POWs

Schlägt der Arsch auch Falten, so bleiben wir doch die Alten!

It seems that the bomb crews of B29's had a leanient leader and a good sense of humour.

Some of the names are hilarious. One in a film I saw today was called 'Purple Shaft'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb27Dj4YCVM&t=5m12s
    -------------------------------------------------------------

"Over Dieppe, the wing was immediately bounced by a hundred FW 190s and a few Me 109s. I heard Johnson effing and bli

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jure_502:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even bother shooting anywhere except at the cockpit if you don't have anything bigger than 20mm. A few 20mm in the cockpit area will bring them down more often than not though. Wings and fuselage are a waste of time (edit: not sure about wingtips though, may have to try that), often even with with 30mm let alone 20, you're more likely to get killed by a gunner before you do enough damage this way.

Speaking of B29's, I cannot for the life of me understand how the remote controlled turrets worked. How....how? In 1945? Who would operate them? How would they operate more than only one of them at a time? And how the hell did they even see the turret's gunsight and where they were shooting?

Yes several had rather interesting names!

Martin-Omaha B-29-10-MO Superfortress (s/n 42-65212) named "Mrs. Tittymouse" from the 875th BS, 498th BG, 20th AF. Lost to flak on the April 7,1945...

This one was viewed with a lot of interest by Japanese fellows but with disgust by the Japanese women.
    The bomber guys had at least humor!

Although not only B-29s had funny names here a small collection of WWII bombers
    [img]http://forum.ioh.pl/graficzki/b-24.****yduck.446thbg.jpg[/img]

I shot down a bunch of 29s in a J2M3 and J2M5 and I never shot at the cockpit area. Always the wings and engines and I would get them on fire in a lot of cases. And even if they didn't go down right away they would end up down much later. The typical slow death you see in the game, usually from slowly dying engines that are smoking. Still counts though. I also rarely get shot down by gunners. I might get some damage typically.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ROXunreal:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jure_502:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even bother shooting anywhere except at the cockpit if you don't have anything bigger than 20mm. A few 20mm in the cockpit area will bring them down more often than not though. Wings and fuselage are a waste of time (edit: not sure about wingtips though, may have to try that), often even with with 30mm let alone 20, you're more likely to get killed by a gunner before you do enough damage this way.

Speaking of B29's, I cannot for the life of me understand how the remote controlled turrets worked. How....how? In 1945? Who would operate them? How would they operate more than only one of them at a time? And how the hell did they even see the turret's gunsight and where they were shooting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

B-29 gunnery system explained:

http://www.twinbeech.com/CFCsystem.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast