Thread: ChMster Coll. Edit. Error 1603 - MSI.CHM or MSDN?? | Forums

Yo Gents... I picked up a NEW Sealed ChessM Collectors Edit. Using Win 7 HP Lapper - Auto Load no go.. so click'd on F: Drive with disc in. Install process timer stopped within 2 sec. "Fatal Error 1603, Consult W Installer Help MSI.CHM or MSDN" !? Tried to GoogSearch that.. No luck. No Discussion found. Tried thru Admin., still no go. Please advise what's up & quickest remedy. Thanks much. Viking11
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Yo Gents... I picked up a NEW Sealed ChessM Collectors Edit. Using Win 7 HP Lapper - Auto Load no go.. so click'd on F: Drive with disc in. Install process timer stopped within 2 sec. "Fatal Error 1603, Consult W Installer Help MSI.CHM or MSDN" !? Tried to GoogSearch that.. No luck. No Discussion found. Tried thru Admin., still no go. Please advise what's up & quickest remedy. Thanks much. Viking11

Hi, please contact support, the link is in my signature.
    Ubisoft UK Forum Manager

Technical Support
    Twitter Support
    Facebook Support

Hello,

I know you're using Windows 7; do you have the latest service packs/updates installed? Since the error you're receiving relates to the Windows Installer service, that would be a good place to start.

Other things to keep in mind:

<LI> Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and audio devices.
    <LI> Close all running programs before installation.
    <LI> Temporarily disable any anti-virus/firewall software you may be running.
    <LI> On Windows Vista/Windows 7, run as the Administrator.
    <LI> Don't skip installing DirectX! Chessmaster needs the specific version (9.0c) that is on the installation CD.

For more suggestions, please see the Chessmaster 10th Edition FAQ.

Once installation is successful, don't forget to install the appropriate patches. You can get them from the Chessmaster 10th Edition Downloads.

Hope this helps,

KHollister

I just recently ran into the same problem when re-installing my Chessmaster 10th Edition. It seems Windows has upgraded their program to automatically have DirectX. When you choose to install DirectX again - it fails. So try installing without DirectX next time to see if that would work?