Thread: For those you who might want to know | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Another game I was going to purchase has been issues with SF,so that is why I came across this.

If it helps great,if it doesnt apply then good.

This with the latest SF version

""OK I now know the cause but am waiting for starforce to come back with a solution.

I have an ASUS A7A266 mother board and a Hitchi 250GB ATA HD. The IDE controller will only run the HD in PIO mode unless I install an ALI Ultra ATA driver and this driver is causing a problem with starforce and stopping the disk being read. However the game will install fine.

I found this out by uninstalling the ALI driver and the game will run, but you cannot use a pc running the HD in PIO mode as everything is so slow!

I will come back if starforce have a solution.

Andy""
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Another game I was going to purchase has been issues with SF,so that is why I came across this.

If it helps great,if it doesnt apply then good.

This with the latest SF version

""OK I now know the cause but am waiting for starforce to come back with a solution.

I have an ASUS A7A266 mother board and a Hitchi 250GB ATA HD. The IDE controller will only run the HD in PIO mode unless I install an ALI Ultra ATA driver and this driver is causing a problem with starforce and stopping the disk being read. However the game will install fine.

I found this out by uninstalling the ALI driver and the game will run, but you cannot use a pc running the HD in PIO mode as everything is so slow!

I will come back if starforce have a solution.

Andy""

i can't understand a word of what you're saying..

well, is obvious that trangar is in a fierce battle in his computer by the new version of starforce, at least it seems, but , let me see if i can remember, trangar you chance te jumpers set in your motherboard to set to PIO and you gone to the bios setup??? and after deleted the I/O software controller??
    -----------------------------
    the pelengs are the most cool beings in the galaxy

no no its not me that has the problem... andy does/ did and chaosgorgon has the gist of it.

I wanted post this to give a heads up to those who might have this mb and I/O set up.

Also just let you know that the new version of SF still has a few kinks.

If I understund correctly Andy (or Thrangar) is having trouble running a game when the ide controller is running in ultra ata (100 i guess) mode.

To those who dont know what that means here's a quick explanation:

Each hard drive (except serial ata ones) and cd/dvd drive is connected to the pc via a IDE controller. There are various methodes on how this connection is handled which results in deferent modes that this connection can be accomplished(PIO, dma, ultra dma 33/66/100). The DMA 100 is the fastest one (and the one used by most new pc's) and the PIO is the slowest.

Anyway, these modes can be changed for each individual device from the device manager in win xp, so Andy can just put the cd drive in PIO mode (if thats the only way to read the cd) and leave the rest in Ultra DMA 100 (or controlled by the system).

If that doesnt work there are other solutions like downloading the latest bios for the motherboard or moving the cd drive to a separate ide channel.

If the problem is that the pressence of ALI Ultra ATA drivers on the system is conficting with starforce (assuming that ALI Ultra ATA drivers are essential for the hard drive to be able to run on Ultra DMA mode, and that nothing else works) then there is not much that can be done, although I really think that there is a way to make the hard drive work in Ultra DMA 100 without the ALI Ultra ATA drivers.

Finally I dont really get the purpose of the thread as it is more a super specific combination of hardware conflicting with starforce than starforce general incompatibility.

Starforce has it drawbacks, but that example is very far fetched.