Thread: Levels, Monsters and AI...Questions and Thoughts.... | Forums

Just started playing Saturday.

Do they [Levels] get harder as you go along?

Treetops and, especially, The Bunker, seem to be a bit more difficult than the levels before.

Actually, not so much *more* difficult, as the Difficulty (AI) is more *developed*.

Tridents pose an extra problem, but also there appears to be an increased number of Mercenaries to deal with upon each encounter. JMO.

Also, I started on Medium difficulty. What's to be expected from the other difficulty levels?

Do the Mercenaries act more intelligently? Like NOT moving directly toward your HIDDEN position, and line of fire, after sniping or firing from the bushes, hilltop, etc.?

I find the Tridents, simultaneously, irritating AND scary. In general, a bit GIMICKY!!! the way they can Leap 20 feet, or whatever, at you. I hate this sort of gimmickry to add difficulty. Its NOT challenging, its just IRRITATING!!

Rather than create interesting and challenging AI routines and behaviour, too many developers resort to adding *Monsters* of some sort, and giving them *Super Human* qualities.

That's not a direct knock at Crytek or anything, more a general comment on developers. Though, despite Crytek's forward more in terms of AI routines and behaviours, the still resorted to the *Monster* gimmick----Why????

BTW, how many levels are there?

I'm also wondering, if I should start over again with a higher difficulty level. Normally, its been my habit to start a new game at its highest difficulty and, if necessary, backing down from there to a confortable, but challenging level.

The reason I did so, was because of the "Save Points". Look most people, I loathe Save Points. I have no desire to *Repeat* a level 10 or 20 times.

So far as *repeating* is concerned Medium seems to be a good difficulty, for me, as I've only had to repeat the Bunker level more than once or twice to complete it.

The only thing that'd make worth it to move up, is a better challenge. That is, better AI behaviours and routines. NOT more Tridents that leap 100 feet, rather than the perceived 20 feet, and need lightning bolts from G_d to kill them!!

So, are the AI routines and behaviour better as you move up in difficulty?

---
    Abit KR7A 133r
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro
    512 MB Corsair XMS DDR (266)
    Addtronics 7890A (modified by www.coolcases.com)
    Cornerstone p1700
    Win2000pro SP4
    1600x1200 32bit 100mhz

Just started playing Saturday.

Do they [Levels] get harder as you go along?

Treetops and, especially, The Bunker, seem to be a bit more difficult than the levels before.

Actually, not so much *more* difficult, as the Difficulty (AI) is more *developed*.

Tridents pose an extra problem, but also there appears to be an increased number of Mercenaries to deal with upon each encounter. JMO.

Also, I started on Medium difficulty. What's to be expected from the other difficulty levels?

Do the Mercenaries act more intelligently? Like NOT moving directly toward your HIDDEN position, and line of fire, after sniping or firing from the bushes, hilltop, etc.?

I find the Tridents, simultaneously, irritating AND scary. In general, a bit GIMICKY!!! the way they can Leap 20 feet, or whatever, at you. I hate this sort of gimmickry to add difficulty. Its NOT challenging, its just IRRITATING!!

Rather than create interesting and challenging AI routines and behaviour, too many developers resort to adding *Monsters* of some sort, and giving them *Super Human* qualities.

That's not a direct knock at Crytek or anything, more a general comment on developers. Though, despite Crytek's forward more in terms of AI routines and behaviours, the still resorted to the *Monster* gimmick----Why????

BTW, how many levels are there?

I'm also wondering, if I should start over again with a higher difficulty level. Normally, its been my habit to start a new game at its highest difficulty and, if necessary, backing down from there to a confortable, but challenging level.

The reason I did so, was because of the "Save Points". Look most people, I loathe Save Points. I have no desire to *Repeat* a level 10 or 20 times.

So far as *repeating* is concerned Medium seems to be a good difficulty, for me, as I've only had to repeat the Bunker level more than once or twice to complete it.

The only thing that'd make worth it to move up, is a better challenge. That is, better AI behaviours and routines. NOT more Tridents that leap 100 feet, rather than the perceived 20 feet, and need lightning bolts from G_d to kill them!!

So, are the AI routines and behaviour better as you move up in difficulty?

---
    Abit KR7A 133r
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro
    512 MB Corsair XMS DDR (266)
    Addtronics 7890A (modified by www.coolcases.com)
    Cornerstone p1700
    Win2000pro SP4
    1600x1200 32bit 100mhz

I played it on medium to start with and the mercs were quite smart right from the beginning .They circled around using boats and jeeps ,sometimes taking long detours to come up behind you . In general the mercs will always go to the last place they thought you were ,unless they can directly see you ,i dont think they will second guess what you are gonna do ,thats what MP is good for as us humans think alike . Maybe farcry 2 will improve on the AI but i think it will be years before we have "Deepblue v Kasparov" style battles

I think everyone hated the leaping monkeyboys ,they scared the c*** out of me and annoyed me to . I didn't mind the other trigens but the leaping scythe handed goons were a pain ,took far to many bullets to kill and i couldnt control the recoil enough to get them and when they got to close i was just rubbish with the shotgun . Oh well its still a great game

IIRC the difference between the difficulties are:
    on higher difficulty your weapons are weaker, the enemy's stronger, the enemy aims better, the enemy is quicker on the trigger when you've been discovered.
    The AI behaviour etc is all the same.

OFP Missions Depot