Thread: Frustrating time controls | Forums

Hi there,

Does anyone else find the tournament time controls ridiculous? I play a slow game and I hate blitz in all of its forms, the tournament games for the first bracket are ten minutes, this really annoys the hell out of me as I can play and win against 1200s easily in decent time controls but constantly lose in ten minute games!!
    Frankly I think these are unfair time controls for players who actually study the position which I cant seem to do in such a short time, it seems to me that it alienates casual players out of wanting to play the tournaments, in rated games if I have 30 mins I nearly always beat the 1200s and wanted to change the tournament time settings to a fairer level rather than have to play quick games all the time.
    This is half rant half asking if I can change them, I have not found a way but it really is putting me off playing the thing!

Anyone else feel the same?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi there,

Does anyone else find the tournament time controls ridiculous? I play a slow game and I hate blitz in all of its forms, the tournament games for the first bracket are ten minutes, this really annoys the hell out of me as I can play and win against 1200s easily in decent time controls but constantly lose in ten minute games!!
    Frankly I think these are unfair time controls for players who actually study the position which I cant seem to do in such a short time, it seems to me that it alienates casual players out of wanting to play the tournaments, in rated games if I have 30 mins I nearly always beat the 1200s and wanted to change the tournament time settings to a fairer level rather than have to play quick games all the time.
    This is half rant half asking if I can change them, I have not found a way but it really is putting me off playing the thing!

Anyone else feel the same?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigface1973:
    Hi there,

Anyone else feel the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it annoys me too. But why don't you just create your own tournaments? then you can play at any time control you want.

At the 1200 level no deep thinking is required. If you focus on three things you'll eventually win easily:

1. In the opening, develop your pieces
    2. Don't hang any material and pick up the material that your opponent hangs.
    3. Once you're ahead, trade pieces.

I just played Josh/1200, which must be the strongest of the bunch, and he hung 2 pieces and 2 pawns. He also cooperated in trading down to a winning endgame. Keep at it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by likesforests:
    At the 1200 level no deep thinking is required. If you focus on three things you'll eventually win easily:

1. In the opening, develop your pieces
    2. Don't hang any material and pick up the material that your opponent hangs.
    3. Once you're ahead, trade pieces.

I just played Josh/1200, which must be the strongest of the bunch, and he hung 2 pieces and 2 pawns. He also cooperated in trading down to a winning endgame. Keep at it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it seems too easy when you're above, doesn't it

the problem is, when you're a 1200 too, you too hang pieces. a lot. I think studying tactics is the key. actually it is the key until reaching 1800, I believe.

"the problem is, when you're a 1200 too, you too hang pieces. a lot. I think studying tactics is the key."

That is certainly good advice. Another idea is to ask yourself what your opponent will play before you make your move. I've seen players go from 950 to 1250 in the space of 2-3 games simply by doing that consistently.

Beyond that you definitely need to study basic tactics, which should bring you up to the average USCF rating of 1450.

I think it's possible to reach 1800 by mostly focusing on tactics, but most players above 1500 know at least some basic endings, strategy, and openings even if they're not particularly strong at them.

Thanks for your responses, I am at best a 1350 player, 1200,s normally are no problem but when it comes to quick games I dont seem to play as well, its not that I am weaker than the 1200s, its just that I am not used to such quick games.After trying a few times I did manage to beat them, but the next batch of tournaments I dont think I will ever win due to the time constraints.
    Creating my own tournament is the obvious solution so thanks for suggesting that, btw how many rated games do I need to play before my rating is no longer provisional? I would like to create a rated tournament but cannot while I am provisional.

Thanks again for advice/replies

Funny, I used to say I couldn't play a reasonable game in anything under 20 minutes. Then I started playing bullets (1 minute)on ICC. Played way too many, so many I have a permanent ache in my index finger (about 10,000 games).

Anyway, my game suffered a lot from that. My standard rating went downhill significantly since I was not able to wait more than a half a second to make my move, and I stopped studying completely. However, after studying for a while now, and not playing ANY bullets for years, I find I can easily play a two minute game with no gross blunders.

So I guess after all this blah blah blah, my point is, play a couple thousand bullets (that was about how long it took me to play a decent bullet), you will find any time control over 5 minutes reasonable.

It's up to you if a) that sounds reasonable b) it's something you even want to do.

ps - I stopped paying for ICC years ago, and just started playing on freechess.org again (EdwardsNH)