Thread: Online Play & CM9K | Forums

I want to play online with my father. He uses a mac and CM10 is PC only. Can he play on the online section with me if he has CM9K?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I want to play online with my father. He uses a mac and CM10 is PC only. Can he play on the online section with me if he has CM9K?

That's just one of the many things wrong with the online feature: CMX and CM9K online features are completely separate - one can't access the other.

Other things wrong:

- Unpatched CMX allows you to use the chess coach during rated online games! Because of this, those that would rather cheat won't patch their games, and screw up everyone else's game experience too, because the bugs are not eliminated. According to support, the lack of patching is a major reason of the other troubles, yet they will not do anything to force people to patch up, nor will they tell us why they aren't doing anything. All suggestions as to this are met with silence.

- Frequent timeouts when connecting to games.

- Frequent database errors causing results not to be saved, and your rating not affected at the end of a rated game.

- Technical problems with the main chat window

- Technical problems with clan leaders adding members.

- Tournaments don't work in practice. No, this time it's not a technical problem, but rather an implementation problem - anyone (with the right rating) is allowed to join a tournament, but actual participation isn't monitored in any way. People aren't reminded that they have to appear online at certain times, nor are there any consequences for not showing up. As a result, if a single game of chess gets played during a tournment, it's half a miracle. So the tournaments work only on paper, not in practice.

-Finally, there are occasional connection losses during games.

Are you really sure you want to play online with your father using Chessmaster?

-Swordfishtrombone

I would recommend an Internet Chess server like the Free Internet Chess Server, Internet Chess Club, or US Chess Live.

Ubisoft has displayed a lack of commitment to the online component of Chessmaster that I cannot recommend someone buy Chessmaster to play online.