Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1945 The Broken Era | Forums

Recently I've notice a lot of complaints from the community on many balance issues of the game
    and I believe it's attributed to 1945. I can see alarm bells going off right now with a bunch of you saying "no 1945 is fine" and I agree to some extent. Here are some reasons I believe this era is broken.

Admin buildings:It's been debated over and over and I see both sides of the argument. and I truly believe this single building throws the game off completely. Here's why

First the For arguments.
    -admins are very expensive
    -you gain money slower than supply depots
    -they are very fragile.

all of these makes sense and works very well and is fine when it comes to 1v1 and 2v2. This is because building one of these buildings is suicidal and extremely risky. However in larger games 3v3, and 4v4 the risks gets cut in half and eventually it becomes a spam fest.

Admin buildings also promote turtling, Why go out when you can sit back rake in the cash until you have enough to overrun your opponent. it no longer becomes an issue of how weak these buildings are if you can't get close to them. Again this is an issue in 3v3 and 4v4. I suggest a limit on how many admins can be built per sector. This promotes less turtling as players would want to go grab more sectors as well as make supply depots mroe valuable

Unit Balance: there is a lot of us on here that believe US is a bit overpowered and UK a bit underpowered. I agree; The main problem with US is that they can field pershings and super pershings which puts them on par with the germans as well as maintain their overall versatility in other fields. This is a huge problem. In 1942 however it eliminates the pershings all together leaving usa with shermans which makes sense as most of the war was fought with shermans. This in turns retains germany's tiger tanks making them all the more threatening. This single change is enough that US becomes more balance yet retain strength by relying on what they were originally meant to be, an all around versatile nation utilizing it's other units.

There's an entire thread about UK being underpowered, I do think that a nation should not solely be air. In any case I still believe even in 1945 UK still fronts a very strong air army due to their very cheap spit-fighters,hurricanes and air base. If people would start playing in 1942, UK gains a major buff as the spit-fighter's closest competitor the ME262 jet fighter are no longer a direct competitor to spit-fighter leaving UK sole domination of air. UK is a strong nation, and by no means weak, just a very different. Watch the RUSEHD videos between wolfy and lex for yourself and see how well they fair in 1v1 among top players. (note that even in that video it was 1945 with m19s) so in 1942 with only m16's it could have been a different story.

Time I hate the people who call for no time limit. Sometimes I humor them and destroy them within 5 minutes. In a typical game with or without admin buildings the game enters a phase in which one team (with admin buildings) goes all out heavy bombers and does a massive air raid. Or (without admins) both teams run out of money and snipes off whatever units each has at the given time. I do believe the point/time system should be utilized by players more often. This time is not really a problem with 1945 but more of how players like to play the game

all in all I wish people would play 1942 more on larger games and leave the time on.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Recently I've notice a lot of complaints from the community on many balance issues of the game
    and I believe it's attributed to 1945. I can see alarm bells going off right now with a bunch of you saying "no 1945 is fine" and I agree to some extent. Here are some reasons I believe this era is broken.

Admin buildings:It's been debated over and over and I see both sides of the argument. and I truly believe this single building throws the game off completely. Here's why

First the For arguments.
    -admins are very expensive
    -you gain money slower than supply depots
    -they are very fragile.

all of these makes sense and works very well and is fine when it comes to 1v1 and 2v2. This is because building one of these buildings is suicidal and extremely risky. However in larger games 3v3, and 4v4 the risks gets cut in half and eventually it becomes a spam fest.

Admin buildings also promote turtling, Why go out when you can sit back rake in the cash until you have enough to overrun your opponent. it no longer becomes an issue of how weak these buildings are if you can't get close to them. Again this is an issue in 3v3 and 4v4. I suggest a limit on how many admins can be built per sector. This promotes less turtling as players would want to go grab more sectors as well as make supply depots mroe valuable

Unit Balance: there is a lot of us on here that believe US is a bit overpowered and UK a bit underpowered. I agree; The main problem with US is that they can field pershings and super pershings which puts them on par with the germans as well as maintain their overall versatility in other fields. This is a huge problem. In 1942 however it eliminates the pershings all together leaving usa with shermans which makes sense as most of the war was fought with shermans. This in turns retains germany's tiger tanks making them all the more threatening. This single change is enough that US becomes more balance yet retain strength by relying on what they were originally meant to be, an all around versatile nation utilizing it's other units.

There's an entire thread about UK being underpowered, I do think that a nation should not solely be air. In any case I still believe even in 1945 UK still fronts a very strong air army due to their very cheap spit-fighters,hurricanes and air base. If people would start playing in 1942, UK gains a major buff as the spit-fighter's closest competitor the ME262 jet fighter are no longer a direct competitor to spit-fighter leaving UK sole domination of air. UK is a strong nation, and by no means weak, just a very different. Watch the RUSEHD videos between wolfy and lex for yourself and see how well they fair in 1v1 among top players. (note that even in that video it was 1945 with m19s) so in 1942 with only m16's it could have been a different story.

Time I hate the people who call for no time limit. Sometimes I humor them and destroy them within 5 minutes. In a typical game with or without admin buildings the game enters a phase in which one team (with admin buildings) goes all out heavy bombers and does a massive air raid. Or (without admins) both teams run out of money and snipes off whatever units each has at the given time. I do believe the point/time system should be utilized by players more often. This time is not really a problem with 1945 but more of how players like to play the game

all in all I wish people would play 1942 more on larger games and leave the time on.

I agree with you on the Unit Balance comments. But as for the Admin Buildings and Time settings I disagree.

Yes, it's true the Admin Buildings debate will forever Haunt the RUSE forums as it has been going on even throughout the Beta where there was 30+ Forum pages specifically on the Admin Buildings debate.

For me it comes down to are you an inexperienced, aka noob, team or are you a veteran team. If you're a veteran team, you know that Admins just don't make sense as depots are $60 cheaper and generate money faster. So you know that your team will need to get out and capture territory thereby providing for the easy capture and defending of depots. On the other hand the "inexperienced" team will camp at base and build up Admins all the while the veteran team is taking depots. Guess who wins? Well, every time I've played in a 4v4 with a team that gets out and take all depots as they press the front line closer to the opponents, it's been an easy win. Because eventually your bombers or arty gets within range of one of the noobs bases and poof! there goes 3 or 4 Admins in one attack. Now you've just hurt the opponents income and forced them into a decision to either try to continue on the newly restricted income or to try and spend the $300 or $400 to replace lost Admins. While they are deciding your teammate bombs another opponents base on opposite side of map, poof 3 or 4 more Admins GONE! At this point is where usually 1 or 2 opponents will quit, realizing that building more Admins is useless and they are now stuck with limited income and a HORRIBLY small army of units left to defend.

It just doesn't make sense to Admin spam if you are indeed up against a good opponent. I have, just for fun, turtled and Admin spammed just to see what it's like and for me it's is a very uncomfortable game style as you're locked into waiting and hoping the opponent doesn't rush you while you spend money on additional Admins and defensive bunkers/units instead of the appropriate unit upgrades and fielding the appropriate units. On the other hand when I'm out taking ground and depots, it's a natural game progression for me, as I have the flexibility to upgrade units and continue moving forward without the wait for that $100 for the next Admin. I guess a better way to put it is that it gives me the ability to determine the game pace, as in most cases I have either more units than the Admin Spammer or I have stronger units, due to upgrades and so I can decide to attack when I am ready to attack instead of waiting for the inevitable attack to come at me.

All the above applies to the Time setting as well. Most games when I'm on a team that doesn't turtle will end well before the time limit anyway. So to me the Time setting, like Admin Spamming, is of no consequence. If I want a faster game then I will just simply host a game with the Time settings I choose and players can take it or leave it. But it is nice, once in awhile, to just have a slower paced game and give the new players a chance, before you storm in and crush them and all their pretty Admins all lined up like the little ducky targets at a carnival. The Time is... for this game to be over.

Admins were never a problem in 1v1
    In ffa/3v3(which is a mode for fun not serious gaming, thus if someone base his opinion on ff1/3v3 it doesnt really prove anything) they cause a problem cause yes you cant really attack them, no a rush wont work against a good player(mostly playing ffa with other top players) so whats left is just stay behind and admin spam which leads to the total destruction of Ruse, people just spam 9999 production buildings and spam 999999999 units, woo now ruse became starcraft 2 clickfest game....
    A 5 admin buildings should be the limit when the game runs out of depots in ffa etc

Unit balance: yes these are the actually main broken parts, usa being ridiculous and uk needing a buff and some other nation small details, but i am not going to go into detail in the official game forums...(btw about the m19, no they were quite balanced, expect the fact that comes from aa base, the m16 would still have anihilated air because of spam and huge firepower for cheap cost, only arty would stop it(m16 spam= ridiculous firepower for cheap cost, m19=quite balanced)

1942, hmm, actually i never though of that, the first age isnt rly deep since it misses 100 units and important counters.
    I dont know if 1942 misses any really important counters in each nation,i will have to test that

Oh but how can i test that if the ladder is completely dead and none of the top players are rly playing...
    Woof!
    Best song evah
    HEIL SATAN
    [sigpic]http://forums.furaffinity.net/signaturepics/sigpic44625_1.gif[/sigpic]

IMO, 1942 is pretty good, no admin spam, on big maps evryone has to go for middle to get the depots there. and you cant spam or waste units cause you gonna need them.

I agree. While 1939 tends to be quite one-sided because of the very restricted units 1942 is actually a lot of fun. Even the factions seem more balanced. Many units people tend to complain about aren't available: M19, Jackson, Super Pershing, Me 262 and all the Prototype units.

And it makes people think strategically how to best obtain, protect and use those limited resources.

That and time limits give me hope for enjoyable games in the future.

May be right, but especially in 1942 some factions are even more underpowered. Take UK: no typhoons, no covert recon, no avres, no churchills or cromwells, no firefly - what is left what could stand a tiger ?

Actually I think Italy would have a major problem against heavy tanks since the flak 90 is so weak only basic AT also terrable TD then we get the FB to bad it sucks.
    No Breda, no P26 Still though, Tigers arnt very mobile, just need to be fast and think tacticly exactly what RUSE is about, also Germany only gets flak 20mm rather then anything like a wirbelwind so the tigers would be going very very slow to the british base I dont play British ever, but could always get some wellingtons and go to town on the base.
    Don't pray for an easy life. Pray to be a strong person

There are other forces that can stop Tigers. Without Wirbelwind and Me 262 Germany can't do much about U.K. air dominance. Wooded 17 PDRs will make quick work of them too, in '45 games nobody uses them anyway because of the Firefly.

Italy is actually the only nation that gets an Adv. TD in 1042: the Semovente. While totally outclassed in 1945 it can be a valuable asset in '42. If you keep radio silence on your 90mm it will be a terrible force, outranging any tank by 100m. And why does everyone keep crying about the Sparviero? Yes, it's not cheap but it's fast and can kill tanks like a Hurricane.

I guess you make a great point about the Semovente since it is 42 settings, I am very used to 1945 and have not worked out units new working ways and uses in these settings.

Also your right about the flak 90mm, it just requires alot of ruses and maintence but this can bring great rewards by killing many many tanks, I have used it many times however its just fragile thats all.

The italy FB in my view however isn't good since it regulary misses. I find myself (if I ever use it) To take even 2 Fb to take out 1 armoured recon, and even 3-4 to take out a armour 4 tank. Maybe its just because I don't use them enough *been making tactics for it to be built more often* but I just find the research time and cost of the actual plane to be high for small damage it does commonly.
    Don't pray for an easy life. Pray to be a strong person

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast