Thread: Bf-109 engine starting system | Forums

I have seen in some videos that the 109 was started by manually hand cranking the engine, instead of a Kaufman starter or electric motor and battery system.
    On antique automobiles, the hand crank would directly roll the crankshaft, but the 109 propeller did not turn at all until after several crank revolutions by hand.
    Also I heard a siren-like whine during the cranking. I presume the crank either turned an electric starter generator or some kind of inertia wheel, but I just don't know and I'm lousy at research.
    Can someone describe or diagram the Bf-109 engine staring system?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have seen in some videos that the 109 was started by manually hand cranking the engine, instead of a Kaufman starter or electric motor and battery system.
    On antique automobiles, the hand crank would directly roll the crankshaft, but the 109 propeller did not turn at all until after several crank revolutions by hand.
    Also I heard a siren-like whine during the cranking. I presume the crank either turned an electric starter generator or some kind of inertia wheel, but I just don't know and I'm lousy at research.
    Can someone describe or diagram the Bf-109 engine staring system?

There are several manuals, documents and link at this site:
    http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/other-mechanical-syste...09-manuals-9168.html

The 109 Lair looks like a good site to look over also.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IL-2/FB/AEP/PF FAQs * [URL=http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2163129&page=1# Post

Thanks Skycat

Not sure on the electric starter, but the hand-crank turned an inertia flywheel that was engaged by pulling a clutch lever to start the engine. That is what the whine is. Took about 30-45 seconds of a big stout fellow yarding on that crank to get it up to speed. Hope that this helps you out.

Thanks Opie-won

Kurfurst could easly tell ya!