Thread: Cant' change the ammount of Flak Ammo or Shells or quantity on the U boat when in por | Forums

Also the XX1 U-Boat the guns seam only to be 20mm. I have an old Historical document stating that the guns used on XX1 were 25mm and were Armer piercing rounds were used. This would have had serious impacked on any Cargo ship. Aircraft would not stand a chance with that sort of Ammo. The only issue would be hitting it. If you fired that at the hull of a Cargo ship.you would have lots of holes and it would sink.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Also the XX1 U-Boat the guns seam only to be 20mm. I have an old Historical document stating that the guns used on XX1 were 25mm and were Armer piercing rounds were used. This would have had serious impacked on any Cargo ship. Aircraft would not stand a chance with that sort of Ammo. The only issue would be hitting it. If you fired that at the hull of a Cargo ship.you would have lots of holes and it would sink.

Really? Interesting indeed!

As for making holes, that can be questioned. Firing a round into water at a shallow trajectory will make it either bounce and hit the ship above its waterline, or shatter the bullet into tiny bits of metal.

I can imagine that an armor-piercing 20mm round would fare better, but I still don't know if this would be a valid tactic in '45, where any ship will chew and spit your boat out in a surface shootout.

And completely ahistorical, too.

What do you mean you can't change flak loadout? You get the default max ammo.

Do you mean you want to change ammo types (like most of us do, switching the 20 star shells for HE on the deck gun)? That involves editing a file. However, 20mm flak guns ONLY AP ammo.

To increase/decrease your loadout, go to data/cfg/Basic.cfg, find the following and change the 4000 to whatever.

[AMMO_TYPE9];2cm FK C/38 Flakzwiling XXI
    Idx=9
    Year=1944
    Month=4
    AP=4000
    Renown=0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emeraldcity:
    Also the XX1 U-Boat the guns seam only to be 20mm. I have an old Historical document stating that the guns used on XX1 were 25mm and were Armer piercing rounds were used. This would have had serious impacked on any Cargo ship. Aircraft would not stand a chance with that sort of Ammo. The only issue would be hitting it. If you fired that at the hull of a Cargo ship.you would have lots of holes and it would sink. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

25mm Guns where never used as AA Guns in the Kriegsmarine, must be a typo.
    The AA calibers the KM used on ships and uboats used where 20mm and 37 mm.
    It was planed to equip the 3cm-Maschinen Kanone MK303 aka 3cm Flak M44 Zwilling (30mm Canon MK303 aka 30mm AA gun M44 Double barrelled) to later versions of the type XXI but this never happened.

The Typ XXI was constructed to stay submerged the whole time on patrol, except entering and leaving Base.
    So the AA guns make not very much sense anway.
    In 1945 shooting a Cargo with AA Guns would be suicidal for two reasons, first the cargos where all armed in 1944/1945.
    Second the allied air cover was so intense that you would not fire very much shots before beeing forced to crash dive or this would happen to your Boat:

Would interest me which source states that 25mm Guns where used by the Kriegsmarine Uboats.
    -------
    War is only Glorious to those that never had to fight in one.

Maybe it was a derivation of the Japanese 25mm. The two remaining Axis partners were exchanging technology and raw materiels right up to the end of the war.

THIS is the gun I want on my U-Boat (don't think the hull coud take the strain though...)

Proper Artillery

Not a bad idea, but maybe you would have some minor trouble keeping your sub afloat: a tipus IX has a displacament of 1,032 tons on surface, while the Gustav weights more or less the same...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kielhauler2010:
    Maybe it was a derivation of the Japanese 25mm. The two remaining Axis partners were exchanging technology and raw materiels right up to the end of the war.

THIS is the gun I want on my U-Boat (don't think the hull coud take the strain though...)

Proper Artillery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no maybe, 25mm wasn't used in the Kriegsmarine. Period.
    The German Army used captured French 25mm AA Guns (Mitrailleuse de 25 mm contre-aéroplanes) in limited Numbers.

Oh really, which tecnology did we got from the Japanes Empire?
    The Japs got the tecnology and we got the raw materails, as simple as that!
    -------
    War is only Glorious to those that never had to fight in one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kongo Otto:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kielhauler2010:

Proper Artillery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no maybe, 25mm wasn't used in the Kriegsmarine. Period.
    The German Army used captured French 25mm AA Guns (Mitrailleuse de 25 mm contre-aéroplanes) in limited Numbers.

Oh really, which tecnology did we got from the Japanes Empire?
    The Japs got the tecnology and we got the raw materails, as simple as that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say which way the trade was going, just a statement of fact. Where do you think the nazis would have got their precious raw materials from to keep their advanced weapaons procurement going otherwise?