I was thinking of getting a new graphics card and i had my eye set on the GeForce 6800 GT, but i can't help wondering what's so good about the Ultra? It cost about double the GT and yet i don't really see a huge fps difference according to these charts. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...27gpu2_25.html So i was wondering is the Ultra worth the bang for the $$$. For those who has an Ultra i would like to hear a personal insight to it.

I was thinking of getting a new graphics card and i had my eye set on the GeForce 6800 GT, but i can't help wondering what's so good about the Ultra? It cost about double the GT and yet i don't really see a huge fps difference according to these charts. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...27gpu2_25.html So i was wondering is the Ultra worth the bang for the $$$. For those who has an Ultra i would like to hear a personal insight to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AznKamiKazeKid:
    I was thinking of getting a new graphics card and i had my eye set on the GeForce 6800 GT, but i can't help wondering what's so good about the Ultra? It cost about double the GT and yet i don't really see a huge fps difference according to these charts. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...27gpu2_25.html So i was wondering is the Ultra worth the bang for the $$$. For those who has an Ultra i would like to hear a personal insight to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want the most bangs for the money it is definitely best to buy not the product on top of the ranking list. Like X800 XT (not X850 XT) and 6800GT (not 6800 Ultra) or AMD64 4000 (not FX-55) but in the end all these little differences make a bigger difference.

Interesting Performance Analysis: NVidia 6800 Ultra is the best Lomac card in pure speed in all resolutions and the Radeons are definitely better with FSAA/AF on.

The 6800GT is definitely a smart buy, but 1 or 3 FPS more can save your life if you have to evade the last moment a power line or something close to the ground LOL.

In 1600x1200 you have 46% more pixels than in 1280x1024.
    and you have 144% more pixels than in 1024x768.
    As a result, in a higher resolution you don€t need all the FSAA/AF on maximum to make stuff nice-looking.

Personally I think that 1600x1200 with 2x FSAA gives a better result than 1280x1024 with 4xFSAA.

I don€t know, but have you double monitor support, Video in/out and cables, software etc. included in the 6800GT box?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AznKamiKazeKid:
    I was thinking of getting a new graphics card and i had my eye set on the GeForce 6800 GT, but i can't help wondering what's so good about the Ultra? It cost about double the GT and yet i don't really see a huge fps difference according to these charts. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...27gpu2_25.html So i was wondering is the Ultra worth the bang for the $$$. For those who has an Ultra i would like to hear a personal insight to it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow!
    After looking at those fps results it seams ati cards are well better than the nvidia.
    Look at the 1600x1200 set at FSAA=x4 Anistropic=16x also at 1280 x 1024 with 4x 16x they are as good.
    The so called new pci express are not much better than the AGP slot when useing FSAA\anis So id go look closer at the ati cards on any day before nvidia . I used to swear by the nvi brand when i was younger but now i am wiser i use ATI . i had the nvidia 440mx and a msi5600fx (what a load of **** feels like long time back ! then I seen the light.
    I got the ati connect x800 pro and never looked back ( would have got the 16 pipes but they were limited at time and i am impatient but wish now i got the tivo as with that i could have done the mod to an ati x800xt pe.) With the figures to go off if your monitor is a lcd with a max of 1280x1024 id go atix800 pro tivo then do the mod make sure it as the 420 chip just my opinion but if u love nvid then ?

An ATI fan boy!

Lets get him and stone him!

Don't let the blasphemfer get away!

Only joking lol.

Slammin_'s Avatar Senior Member
    I have a BFG 6800GT and though I'm very pleased with it, would have bought an ATI 800XT if the stores had it at the time I was looking. Ati cards have much better FSAA and they also don't take as much of a hit when going to higher FSAA levels than the nVidia cards.

Don't get me wrong, I bought the nVidia card already knowing this and I could have waited for an 800XT to become available, but it really is a toss-up either way between these two I think since the nVidia cards typically are faster with OpenGL, and I play quite a few titles that use that.

As for the original poster, the BFG 6800GT OC is already overclocked, and can usually be clocked even further, in fact to reach Ultra speeds with good case cooling and an NV5. Note that an air cooled Ultra can reach speeds that no air cooled GT can reach though. I think the $mart buy would definitely be the GT unless you are looking to smash some 3DMark records.

Exactly ^^^ if you gonna go nvidia.. go BFG GT OC &gt;&gt;&gt; then overclock it to ultra speeds! - dont forget the cooling though and save yourself a packet for more goodies

henrytrinh2016's Avatar Junior Member

GeForce 6800 GT vs Ultra

If you want the most bangs for the money it is definitely best to buy not the product on top of the ranking list. Like X800 XT (not X850 XT) and 6800GT (not 6800 Ultra) or AMD64 4000 (not FX-55) but in the end all these little differences make a bigger difference.

Interesting Performance Analysis: NVidia 6800 Ultra is the best Lomac card in pure speed in all resolutions and the Radeons are definitely better with FSAA/AF on.