Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 - It can work | Forums

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    -- a. Install EoA to your C: drive, accepting the install defaults as much as possible.
    ----- 1. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    -- b. Start EoA from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications. (Open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts. Your User Name should show Administrators under Group.)
    ----- 2. Disable all tasks running in the background, especially anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs, task schedulers, remote system control programs (such as Microsoft NetMeeting) or other programs shown on the Windows task bar.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting EoA.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with the EoA disc in the drive, or with a disc in any drive.
    -- d. If the EoA disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Start the game using the EoA icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the disc.

What is the exact wording of the access violation error message you get?
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have it installed on my C and running with all admin privileges. I'll try to turn off my antivirus etc. A small remark though, I can't start the game without the disk in my drive. Do I need to reinstall with a full install so the disk is no longer needed? I'll notify on further results asap.

yannick,

As far as I know Myst V requires the presence of the DVD to run; have never heard of a "full install" that allows playing without it. You can do that with Myst, Riven, and Exile, but I think not Myst IV or V.
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

I know that it's psooible with Myst 4 (using 8 gig of your memory <.&lt but I didn't see it with the Myst 5 installer either. Ah well, I have plenty of other options to use first.

I have the Full Install of Myst IV on my Mac; the app occupies 6.98 GB, but the original DVD still needs to be in the drive.

My Myst V app occupies 3.99 GB, and also requires the DVD to be in the drive.
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

I have Windows 7 and my machine is having issues installing the CD ROM version. I have made sure that the .properties file is not there (from previous attempts to install, I don't recall them ever being successful but my first attempts were a long time ago...) and I have tried on a fresh reboot.

Here's what happens. I am prompted to run mystv.exe, I either run it or choose not to and run from the DVD RW drive in the Computer folder that shows all of the drives, or I can explore that drive and run the .exe directly. In any of these scenarios, a screen comes up with a book and some options, to install, see the readme, etc. so I choose install. A window comes up preparing the installation wizard, a blue bar fills up a couple times, then the window disappears and nothing happens. Nothing installs, that wizard is gone.

My machine exceeds all hardware requirements. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forums!

Apply the appropriate "in general" items while trying suggestions 2 and 3 in my post (on page 1 of this topic) of Tue December 22 2009 13:15.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

I have done everything listed there, except that I don't know how to make the virus scanner and something called "Action Center" that is part of the Control Panel not start up. I made the virus scanner inactive though.

In msconfig I turned all startup programs off. Is there anything I might be missing, or do I need to figure out how to have those two items above not come up at startup? (If it's possible...)

I'm pretty bummed thinking I won't be able to play this game =/ When I tried to install it last summer I didn't have a graphics card so I thought that might be what was causing this issue (somehow, though it seems like that woudln't matter until playing the game), now I have a pretty high end one so I am out of ideas of what might be going on here.

I may have figured it out by digging into a few leads from this forums, where an issue with DVD RW seems to be applicable. I have this:
    hp CDDVDW TS-H653R SCSI Cd Rom

One forum said that there are no drivers, but instead it uses drivers built into the OS which for some reason have no updates (ever? or maybe they just haven't dealt with this particular issue). If that is the case, then I suppose a different drive would be needed to install, on that is not DVDRW?

Note that a complete EoA install requires about 4 GB of disk space, but at least half that in addition is required temporarily during installation for file decompression, etc. Or about 8 GB free space available during installation. Do you have that much free space available?

Yes, a different disc drive may help, but try these suggestions first:

1. Go to Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media, and run the Microsoft Fix it Solution by clicking on the Run now button.

2. You may have a disc-read problem with at least EoA Disc 1. This can be due to:
    -- A disc that needs cleaning.
    -- Disc drive laser lenses that need cleaning.
    -- A disc that has scratches. If your EoA CD's have many and/or deep scratches, remove the scratches (especially those deep enough to catch a fingernail) using one of the repair kits available from a local computer store or from an Internet supplier. Or, some DVD rental stores will remove scratches for you, usually for free if you're a good customer.

Your EoA CD's could have developed a haze coating if you:
    -- Live in a dusty area.
    -- Have a smoker in the house or where you use the PC.
    -- Do not have a hood over your kitchen stove or cooktop that vents outside the house.
    -- Use burning-candle or plugin (oil-dispersing) room deodorizers anywhere in the house.
    -- Have subjected your CD's to temperatures above 85-90 degrees F.

This haze can be invisible to the naked eye, but it's not invisible to your disc drive and could be what's interfering with disc reads. (This is especially true if a drive is more than about 3 years old, since read lasers tend to weaken with time. That by itself can lead to disc read problems - even without a haze. The only fix for a weak read laser is a new drive.)

The first thing to do is try to get rid of any haze on the CD's. Clean the shiny sides of all three EoA discs using a soft, lint-free cloth moistened with either:
    -- Water-clear rubbing alcohol - additive-free, no witch hazel or whatever, no green or blue color.
    -- A warm mild dishwashing (*NOT* dishwasher) detergent solution.

Clean with either alcohol or detergent solution using a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc. Instead of allowing the disc to air-dry, manually dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Dry with a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc.

There've been posts saying that disc cleaning sometimes requires multiple applications of alcohol and/or dishwashing detergent solution, along with a good bit of "elbow grease" or "scrubbing" while applying the solution. You might also try that sort of thing, being careful to use clean, soft cloths for both application of cleaning solution and drying the discs between solution applications. (Don't let the discs air-dry!)

When you've cleaned the CD's, try installing EoA again:
    -- a. Click on Start > Run to run setupwin32.exe on Disc 1. Do NOT use the menu item on the disc to install EoA.
    -- b. If the disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.

3. Disc read problems can also be due to a disc drive's laser lenses developing a film/haze coating over time (with or without the contribution of weakening read lasers). Again, the haze can be from your living in a dusty area, having a smoker in the house or where you use the PC, etc.

The fix is using a laser lens cleaning disc. This is essentially a disc with tiny brushes on it that take the haze off of the lenses. The best ones (especially for smokers, non-hooders, and candle burners/oilers) come with a cleaning solution used to wet the brushes, but this isn't a strict requirement. The first time you use the disc, run the cleaning cycle at least 3 times in succession.

I use the 3M Scotch Laser Lens Cleaner, but several brands are available. Some are for both CD and DVD drives, some for CD only or DVD only. There are various suppliers, both online and local computer stores. From Amazon, for example:
    -- Scotch Laser Lens Cleaner for CD and DVD Players/CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives
    -- Memorex CD/DVD-Player Laser-Lens Cleaner
    -- Memorex Laser Lens Cleaner For DVD Only
    -- RCA Discwasher 6-Brush Dry CD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner

When you've cleaned your disc drive's laser lenses, try installing EoA again:
    -- a. Click on Start > Run to run setupwin32.exe on Disc 1. Do NOT use the menu item on the disc to install EoA.
    -- b. If the disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.

If these suggestions don't help, the next step is to update your TS-H653R's firmware (not drivers), so post back.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast