Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 - It can work | Forums

I managed to get Myst V working in the Windows 7 beta.

When installing, set the install path to C:\Program Files\ (The 64-bit version will want to put it in C:\Program Files (x86)\)

I also normally delete the default path, so that it's just C:\Program Files\Myst V End of Ages... but for the sake of keeping this functional, leave it at default this time I left it at default (C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Cyan Worlds\Myst V End Of Ages).

You also need to apply the patch found on the Myst Online: Uru Live forums and on the Ubisoft forums that fixes the "init" folder found in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Myst V End of Ages

After that, it ran perfectly for me.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi Jnathus.

Guess what ? I am a newbee and have a few questions.

Presently, I am using WindowsXP, Family Edition and would like to keep it as is.

Questions,

1- Can we install a Virtual drive and install Windows7 ? (Note that my WindowsXP was pre-installed and I am not certain if I could use my HP original 7 CDs installation re: HP stuff plus WindowsXP on a Virtual drive)

2- I suppose it come in as a download on the Net, so I wonder if we have first to burn it on a CD or DVD for installation ? Or does it come as a pack (virtual drive + Windows 7) ?

3- Does Microsoft charges a fee for using Windows 7 ?

4- Is Windows 7 worth the troubles ?

5- Is windows 7 less buggy than Vista ?

Thank you for at least, having a look at my post.

Originally posted by nanoukmetal:
    Questions,

1- Can we install a Virtual drive and install Windows7 ? (Note that my WindowsXP was pre-installed and I am not certain if I could use my HP original 7 CDs installation re: HP stuff plus WindowsXP on a Virtual drive)
    Virtual Drive setup is up to you. It is possible, but it would be very limiting with what you could do / enjoy. If you don't really know what you're doing and you JUST want tplay with Win7, a virtual drive is the way to go. If you really want to bang on it, run games and benchmark it, you'll need to have a fully native install, but if you don't what you're doing with a dual-booting scenario, I wouldn't mess with it.

2- I suppose it come in as a download on the Net, so I wonder if we have first to burn it on a CD or DVD for installation ? Or does it come as a pack (virtual drive + Windows 7) ?
    It's download-able for a while, but the keys are only being distributed for a little while longer. A good place to find way to do it are engadget.com, gizmodo.com and / or winsupersite.com

3- Does Microsoft charges a fee for using Windows 7 ?
    Windows 7 is currently in beta, so it's free to try. The beta installer is only good until August.

4- Is Windows 7 worth the troubles ?
    I can't answer that. I like it, and I find it perfectly usable. When my work's work order system is updated for IE8 I'll be using Windows 7 full-time. It's a decent step up from Vista in many ways, but it is sort of Vista SE or Vista Version 2, so if you hate Vista, you will hate Win 7.

5- Is windows 7 less buggy than Vista ?
    Vista isn't terribly buggy anymore aside from what it does and not support in the way of legacy hardware (mainly peripherals . . . printers). It has bugs that Vista does not, but that is the nature of a beta.

Thank you for at least, having a look at my post.
    NO problem at all. If you want more specific links, let me know.

Thank you very much Jnathus.

Not being a computer "geek", I better stick to my WindowsXP. (at leat for now)

I did learn a good lesson when I tried IE7. (it never worked properly and I am back with IE6...after a new Win.XP reinstall)

Jnathus or HeimdallG, The ubisoft site does not list Myst V-End Of Ages as presently being compatable with W7, yet it appears from this older post that it can be made compatable. I am not sure I understand this post in its entirety other then changing paths on installation. Could this be clarified further and perhaps in "layman terms" if still valid. Thank You.

In general,
    -- a. Start Myst V: End of Ages (EoA) from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.
    ----- 2. Disable all tasks running in the background, especially anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs, task schedulers, remote system control programs (such as Microsoft NetMeeting) or other programs shown on the Windows task bar.
    ----- 3. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it!
    ----- 4. Do NOT run any other programs before starting EoA.
    -- b. Do NOT boot up with the EoA disc in the drive, or with a disc in any drive.
    -- c. If the EoA disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- d. Start the game using the EoA icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the disc.

First-pass suggestions:

1. Do a normal install of EoA using the option on the disc.

2. If a normal install isn't successful, run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter and use it to install End of Ages. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows for details. In particular, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ...."

3. If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise, install End of Ages while running in Windows XP Mode. See Windows Virtual PC and Download Windows XP Mode for details.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Heimdall G, Myst V installed with no problems noted.Clicked on desk icon to run it and came up with error message(attached). Running W7 Home Premium edition. Used Helping an older program to run properly and picked WXP service pack 3. Myst V runs on my other machine with Wxp 3 with no problems.
    Exception type: Access violation
    Call stack (14 levels):
    0x761F3677
    0x0066B9D9
    0x0044A9A8
    0x011243F1
    0x0044121D
    0x0051C6D3
    0x0051BE4E
    0x74377A31
    0x743792AB
    0x74374A38
    0x7437C0F4
    0x73E1D9C4
    0x73E1D8B9
    0x7437B750
    <end>
    Ideas?
    Thank you

If, after successfully installng EoA, you get access violation/stack errors when starting the game, apply this patch.

When you unzip Myst5InitFiles.zip, you'll have the following folders and files:
    -- \Myst V End of Ages
    -- \Myst V End of Ages\init
    -- README.txt
    -- progress.db (in \Myst V End of Ages folder)
    -- audio.ini (in \Myst V End of Ages\init subfolder)
    -- graphics.ini (in \Myst V End of Ages\init subfolder)

You must:
    -- a. Install Myst V to your C: drive, using the install defaults.
    -- b. Download and unzip Myst5InitFiles.zip.
    -- c. Copy the \Myst V End of Ages folder (which also automatically copies the \init subfolder) unzipped from Myst5InitFiles.zip to your "C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local" folder.
    ----- 1. If you can't find "C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local", set your Windows Explorer options to allow viewing hidden files. (Click on Tools > Folder Options > View, click on radio button for "Show hidden files and folders", then click on Apply > OK)
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Heimdall G, Downloaded the patch, myst5init files.zip. Extracted the files and they are as listed in your above post. Made a copy of the extracted myst 5 folder and replaced the previously installed myst 5 folder with the new one. The progress.db along with the init subfolder was replaced. Went back to run the game and came up with the same error message,violation/stack as noted in my previous post. Perhaps this patch works only on Vista and not W7 home premium?

Thoughts, Thanks, Jim
    Happy Holidays

Heimdall G, my mistake here. It appears that I copied over the existing file when I should have used W Explorer. After changing the folder options,following the path, and then copying the Myst V end of ages folder downloaded from myst5init files.zip everything worked fine. The key here was to follow the path outlined in your post. I need to pay attention more.Please disregard my previous post.

Again, Thank You and Happy Holidays

Jim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast