Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Windows 7 - It can work | Forums

Hello! I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (Home Premium) and I have the Myst5init extracted into my AppData/Local. When I start EoA error message "Access violation" does not appear, I can configure the game (video etc.) but when I try to start a new game, I see a brief loading bar on black screen. After that the screen simply stays black and the regular windows cursor appears. I can move cursor around the screen, but nothing happens (only melodic sound when clicked). If I press Esc, I leave the game on the Windows desktop without any message. It's a pity! Is there any solution?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Windows 7 64-bit Problem

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Professional and have a similar problem. I purchased the game on Steam earlier today. When I try to launch it, the Ubisoft intro shows, then a loading bar. After that I just get a black window with an error dialog that says "abnormal program termination" and my mouse makes those same "melodic" sounds whenever I click. Pressing Esc returns to the desktop. I've also applied the patch with no luck. I've looked all over the web but haven't been able to find a fix for this yet either.
    Last edited by cashcraft1983; 03-18-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cashcraft1983 View Post
    I am running Windows 7 64-bit Professional and have a similar problem. I purchased the game on Steam earlier today. When I try to launch it, the Ubisoft intro shows, then a loading bar. After that I just get a black window with an error dialog that says "abnormal program termination" and my mouse makes those same "melodic" sounds whenever I click. Pressing Esc returns to the desktop. I've also applied the patch with no luck. I've looked all over the web but haven't been able to find a fix for this yet either.
    @ cashcraft
    It is not quite a similar problem since you are trying to install a different game version,

Suggestions:

1- Contact Steam support...Click here

2- Or start a new thread on their forums. Steam Users' Forums/Steam Game Discussions/Myst Series...Click here

Right nanoukmetal, my first thought was to contact Steam, but on Steam's support site it directs you to Ubisoft support for help with Ubisoft games. It says "Experiencing an in-game issue with a non-Valve game? Please contact the game's support team." So I posted something here and I contacted Ubisoft through their support site...

My Support Request to UbiSoft...
    I just purchased Myst V on Steam. When I try to launch the game it crashes immediately with "abnormal program termination". I've tried installing the Myst V patch, but it didn't help. I have the latest video drivers and windows updates installed. Not sure what else to try. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Their Reply...
    Unfortunately, this game is not supported for use on Windows 7. First, please make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your video and sound card. Most problems with Windows 7 are related to using outdated hardware drivers. You may be able to run the game in compatability mode, but the only other recommendation that we could make for you would be to install and play the game on a computer that meets the requirements listed on the bottom of the game's box. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

So I guess now I'll try contacting Steam support or the Steam forums and we'll see where that goes...

A few things that are not clear:

1- Have you been able to install the game ?
    2- Do you have a Myst.exe icon on your destop ?
    3- Have checked the Myst.exe icon properties ? (right click on the icon)
    4- Did you check the box "Run as Administrator" ? (necessary)
    5- Have you tried any compatibility mode ? (like Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3)
    6- Have you read this post by Heimdall_G ? ... Click here

Do try Steam support and see if they can solve your problem.

Btw, on Steam its says that the publisher is Cyan. So I suspect that Ubisoft is not involved anymore.
    If it is so, the next step would be to submit a ticket to Cyan's support...Click here

You can always try on Steam forums but this is a new game for them and new players might be hard to find.
    Last edited by nanoukmetal; 03-20-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: new info

Quote Originally Posted by nanoukmetal View Post
    A few things that are not clear:

1- Have you been able to install the game ?
    2- Do you have a Myst.exe icon on your destop ?
    3- Have checked the Myst.exe icon properties ? (right click on the icon)
    4- Did you check the box "Run as Administrator" ? (necessary)
    5- Have you tried any compatibility mode ? (like Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3)
    6- Have you read this post by Heimdall_G ? ... Click here

Do try Steam support and see if they can solve your problem.

Btw, on Steam its says that the publisher is Cyan. So I suspect that Ubisoft is not involved anymore.
    If it is so, the next step would be to submit a ticket to Cyan's support...Click here

You can always try on Steam forums but this is a new game for them and new players might be hard to find.
    1. All these questions - answer "YES"
    I'v tried all compatibility modes (XP SP3, XP SP2, Win98/Me).
    And I'v read the post by Heimdall_G and did everything according to instructions.

2. On Cyan's support I found a links to "Myst for the iPhone/iPod" only.

My main question is - could someone run the game under Win 7 64-bit, and how he did it?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Serge_B; 03-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Last edited by nanoukmetal; 03-22-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: More info

Hi. Just wanting to know whether it's hopeless trying to run the CD version on Windows 7.

Welcome to the Forums!

No, trying to install and run the CD version of End of Ages (EoA) on Windows 7 is not hopeless. But be aware that it involves **lots** of effort, especially if you're running a 64-bit version of Win 7. And, at the end of the day, even after all that effort, you may well end up SOL....

What's the effort involve? At minimum -- but definitely not limited to -- updating Win 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), updating ALL of your Win 7 drivers, etc., etc. Then, and only then, can you can try installing EoA from CD.

You up for it?

If so, we can give it the old college try!
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345