Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: American Pilots in the Battle Of Britain ...? | Forums

Hi all,

There is international confusion on this forum as to what the 'Battle of Britain' means.

The 'Battle of Britain' relates to a period from July 1940 until October 1940.

It was a period when the German Luftwaffe tried to impose aerial dominance over the RAF as a prelude to invasion.

I hope this helps

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.
    Where is Europe? Can it be seen from England? I hope not.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

PO Hugh William Reilley

Quote Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
    Hi all,

The Battle of Britain occured between July and October 1940.

I always thought that Fiske was the only American fighter pilot to serve with the RAF in this period;and he was killed.

But there were other American fighter pilots who fought during this period.

The seven 'official' Americans in Fighter Command in the summer of 1940 were:

Pilot Officer Arthur Donahue, 64 Squadron.
    Pilot Officer J.K. Haviland, 153 Squadron. Pilot Officer W.M.L. Fiske, 601 Squadron.
    Pilot Officer Vernon Keough, 609 Squadron. Pilot Officer Phil Leckrone, 616 Squadron. Pilot Officer Andrew Mamedoff, 609 Squadron Pilot Officer Eugene Tobin, 609 Squadron

Their names can be found here on the Battle of Britain Roll of Honour:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/roll.html

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could have sworn there were as many as 11 Americans in the Battle, but perhaps some where there as RCAF pilots? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My list gave ....

Pilot Officer William M.L. Fiske of No. 601 Squadron. KIA

Flying Officer Carl R. Davis. No. 601 Squadron

Pilot Officers Vernon C. Keough,
    Andrew Mamedoff
    and Eugene Q. Tobin
    all No. 609 Squadron.

Pilot Officer Phillip H. Leckrone of No. 616 squadron.

Pilot Officers Arthur G. Donahue,
    John K. Haviland,
    Hugh W. Reilley (64 and 66 Sqds)

De Peyster Brown No. 1 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force

I make that 10. But some names on the list originally posted are not on this one.

I am the Son of PO Hugh William Reilley who is detailed in the list of American Pilots which appear on this Forum and who fought and died in the Battle of Britain.

My father was a CANADIAN (as listed in the RAF roster). The information relating to his Nationality is given in a Memoriam which I wrote and can be seen at:- http://hughwreilley.blogspot.co.uk.

Alex Kershaw and I have corresponded regarding the details of my father in his book “The Few” and he agrees that it was published with the wrong information and that this will be changed in later editions.

With regard to Kenneth G. Wynn's book “ Men of the Battle of Britain” I have the “Supplementary Volume” published in 1992 and on page 162 the correct information is given.

I hope this will clear up the confusion surrounding my father's nationality.

C.H.A.Reilley.
    Last edited by Tully__; 04-01-2012 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Fixed URL

Thanks for clarifying this. And of course, thanks to the memory of your late father. A brave and honourable man.

(the link you post seems not to work, but I fixed it here http://hughwreilley.blogspot.co.uk/)

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence. William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
    Thanks for clarifying this. And of course, thanks to the memory of your late father. A brave and honourable man.

(the link you post seems not to work, but I fixed it here http://hughwreilley.blogspot.co.uk/)
    Fixed in the original post.

As a matter of interest Wikipedia give the dates of the Battle of Britain as "between 10 July and 31 October 1940"

I hope this helps.

C.H.A.Reilley

Hi all,

I started this thread four years ago. And its amazing how its found new life. Maybe thanks to Cliffs of Dover? And thanks also for your latest contributions.

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.
    Where is Europe? Can it be seen from England? I hope not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234