Hi,
    This is slightly off topic, but you guys might be able to help...

I have recorded old 8mm home movies on a Premier Portable Media Player, which records the footage as an MP4 file. Plays on the portable media player and the MP4 can be transferred to my PC fine.

BUT... I cannot play it on my PC?
    I tried Quicktime, but itcomes up with "Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie."

Tried WMP11, won't plays as it "may be damaged or corrupted"

Won't open in Vegas either.

I will host a small sample clip here: 16MB
    http://www.rgbrowne.co.uk/storage/temp/TEST.MP4

Please help if you can, i need to transfer these to DVD.

Richy...

Hi,
    This is slightly off topic, but you guys might be able to help...

I have recorded old 8mm home movies on a Premier Portable Media Player, which records the footage as an MP4 file. Plays on the portable media player and the MP4 can be transferred to my PC fine.

BUT... I cannot play it on my PC?
    I tried Quicktime, but itcomes up with "Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie."

Tried WMP11, won't plays as it "may be damaged or corrupted"

Won't open in Vegas either.

I will host a small sample clip here: 16MB
    http://www.rgbrowne.co.uk/storage/temp/TEST.MP4

Please help if you can, i need to transfer these to DVD.

Richy...

Oh Bejeezus!! That clp scared the cr@p out of me...

I have no idea what the problem is, but, here's a workaround:

It plays fine in VLC media player (one of my favourite players for videos and dvds because it is just a simple no bells and no whistles player, and its FREE). Google it.

It also converts to avi in Xilisoft Video Converter 3, which I did to let you see what it looks like.

I pm'ed you the yousendit link. This clip is just too scary for the senstive audience we have in here

Played fine for me in Windows Media Player... it used the 3IVX codec to decode.

MrVH

LOL...

I just remembered what clip it was and i'm standing in an internet cafe in Portrush desperately trying to get rid of it before Joe finds it!!!

Too late then ROTFL

Oh well, thanks for all the help

Richy...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-90:
    It plays fine in VLC media player (one of my favourite players for videos and dvds because it is just a simple no bells and no whistles player, and its FREE). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

vlc is a good solution, if one doesn't want to bother with certain codec-installations.
    however, it doesn't (can't) make use of 'directshow' and 'windowsmedia'-overlays/rendering. the consequences are no big deal, however proper colourcorrection and aspect-ratios as well as hardware-supported rendering are not or only partial possible.
    so far i consider vlc as a software-player only recommendable for distributing as a package or 'drive-in' watching. one can't get optimal result with it.

Sorry guys, but this seems to be the only related thread about video playback issues. I have a question and would you mind my asking here and I really need an answer now? Recently I download a conversion tool as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com...-mp4-file.html" (I hope somebody can help me check it when it's at your convenience) to repair one of my damaged MP4 file. The file did not have audio output so I tried fixing it by converting it to another format. The conversion was successful and there was audio output again. But I could not figure why after the conversion, the video size was much bigger compared to the original MP4 file, did you ever meet such a kind of issue?