Thread: Chess Notation | Forums

Since when has ++ mean't checkmate?
    All the books i've read have # or mate as the notation.........
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Since when has ++ mean't checkmate?
    All the books i've read have # or mate as the notation.........

I've been playing Chess in a local club twice a week for the past 5 years. Everybody I know denotes check with + and mate with ++.

hmmm all the books i've read use #, even the CMX Game Status window uses #, the only time i've seen it is in the CMX tutorials......
    According to Burgess in the Mamoth Book of chess ++ is used to indicate Double check. Also The notation tutorial in CMX says pawn promotion is noted as h8Q, again the books say it should be h8=Q...again even the CMX Game Status window use h8=Q.

I think both are valid, but # is much more common than ++. I'm not exactly sure why that is, especially since ++ has a direct connection to the check symbol...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> According to Burgess in the Mamoth Book of chess ++ is used to indicate Double check. Also The notation tutorial in CMX says pawn promotion is noted as h8Q, again the books say it should be h8=Q...again even the CMX Game Status window use h8=Q. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never heard that ++ is used to indicate double check before, although it seems logical other than the confliction with using it for mate, but pawn promotion notated as h8Q is fairly common in my experience.