This is an installer for Myst III: Exile that works on Mac OS 10.4 through 10.7. The Mac-native PowerPC version of Myst III can't run on Lion, so this installer creates a hybrid application that runs the PowerPC version on Mac OS 10.6 and earlier, then switches to Cider for 10.7.
Myst III Installer (11.6 MB)
• Installs the latest version of the game as a single, self-contained application.
• Works with either the CD set or the 10th Anniversary DVD.
• For DVD you can choose which language to install.
• CHUD is included for the PowerPC version and is automatically installed and used to disable processor cores, preventing audio problems.
• Save files are the same for both PowerPC and Cider and can be found at:
Home > Library > Application Support > Myst III Exile > Saved Games
Note: To access the user Library folder on Mac OS 10.7 and later, hold the option key while clicking on the "Go" menu in Finder and choose "Library".
Cider is a technology from Transgaming that can run Windows executables seamlessly on the Mac such that you wouldn't even know anything was different. It's not perfect though - these are the currently known issues with Myst III:
• Subtitles do not work, leave these turned off. Note this issue also affects the tapestries in Narayan when your text language is not set to English. You will need to change your text language to English while looking at the tapestries.
• Lens and reflector plants in Edanna are virtually impossible to use. Edanna is currently unsolvable without a lot of blind luck and patience. The only work-around for this at the moment is to download this save which is in Edanna with the bird freed and all reflector plants positioned correctly (Amateria and Voltaic have not been completed).
Cider tip: You can switch to windowed mode while playing by pushing command+return.
Final note: ResidualVM is working on support for Myst III. There's no official release yet but it is fully playable and you can check it out by grabbing a Daily Build from the downloads page.