Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [Mac] Myst III Universal Installer | Forums

This is an installer for Myst III: Exile that works on Mac OS 10.4 through 10.7. The Mac-native PowerPC version of Myst III can't run on Lion, so this installer creates a hybrid application that runs the PowerPC version on Mac OS 10.6 and earlier, then switches to Cider for 10.7.

Myst III Installer (11.6 MB)

Enjoy :)

Features:
    • Installs the latest version of the game as a single, self-contained application.
    • Works with either the CD set or the 10th Anniversary DVD.
    • For DVD you can choose which language to install.
    • CHUD is included for the PowerPC version and is automatically installed and used to disable processor cores, preventing audio problems.
    • Save files are the same for both PowerPC and Cider and can be found at:
    Home > Library > Application Support > Myst III Exile > Saved Games
    Note: To access the user Library folder on Mac OS 10.7 and later, hold the option key while clicking on the "Go" menu in Finder and choose "Library".

Cider is a technology from Transgaming that can run Windows executables seamlessly on the Mac such that you wouldn't even know anything was different. It's not perfect though - these are the currently known issues with Myst III:
    • Subtitles do not work, leave these turned off. Note this issue also affects the tapestries in Narayan when your text language is not set to English. You will need to change your text language to English while looking at the tapestries.
    • Lens and reflector plants in Edanna are virtually impossible to use. Edanna is currently unsolvable without a lot of blind luck and patience. The only work-around for this at the moment is to download this save which is in Edanna with the bird freed and all reflector plants positioned correctly (Amateria and Voltaic have not been completed).

Cider tip: You can switch to windowed mode while playing by pushing command+return.

Final note: ResidualVM is working on support for Myst III. There's no official release yet but it is fully playable and you can check it out by grabbing a Daily Build from the downloads page.
    Last edited by Gannet7; 06-09-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Mac OS X installer programs for Myst games:
    Myst III | Myst IV | Myst V | See all...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Ambitious and impressive; also highly useful, no doubt, for the intended users. Congrats, Gannet7!
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

Thanks. It did take some time to put together but having already proved the concept with Myst IV it wasn't too difficult to do it again
    (Not that anyone around here has even mentioned Myst III on Lion, but hey, here it is)

This is fantastic - I especially created an account to say thank you. I have have a very soft spot for all the Myst games except the 5th and last one...), and have usually managed to get them running despite the passing of time. Exile has always been too problematic to play until your Universal installer. I have both Myst III and IV installed now!
    On a wee down note, the cut animations don't work - I hear the audio, but things like the Tusk link books coming down from the ceiling, or going up and down in the main Tusk lift etc again don't work. Small button-press type animations, just not the big ones. Shame, but I think the game is still do-able.

All in all great effort - and I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates if any.

For your information, my computer is a late 2009 macbook, running Lion 10.7.3 (11D16), with the 4-disc retail copy of Myst III, and the DVD retail Myst IV. I'll leave Riven on my iPhone...

Glad you like it, and thanks for the report! Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem myself. I don't actually have the 4-disc set so I haven't really tested that but as far as I know the only difference is which languages are available. In any case, without being able to reproduce it there's not a lot I can do here I'm afraid. But with Edanna currently being broken on 10.7 anyway, the animations may be the least of your worries. At this stage, I'm not particularly hopeful I'll ever be able to fix that :/

Thanx for the engine running Lion - however my speed - MBP 2.88 17"
    8gb Ram 1tb hdd 7200rpm. Temp getting too high?
    Any ideas!

Yeah, that's expected I'm afraid - the cider engine does suck up your resources. Shouldn't really be a problem though.

Wow! It was easy and it worked! Perfect for my little Snow Leopard MacPro. Fantastic! I never thought a solution would actually work!

Force Windowed Mode?

I have been unable to get command+return to change the game to windowed mode in 10.6.8, is there a way to force this setting in any of the preference files?

Hi pyrokld,
    The windowed mode is only available in the Cider version, which runs on 10.7. I don't think there's any way to make the normal version run in a window.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast