Thread: Any Windows XP ok for Dell? | Forums

I have a Dell Dimensio 4600 living inside an Antec case. It is my gaming computer believe it or not, but will soon become my wife's websurfer/wordprocessor. My wife speaks French and would like to install a French version of WindowsXP (which she already has).

My question: Do Dell computers only accept versions of Windows licensed for Dell? I know the copy of Windows sold with a Dell will only work with a Dell, but is it the other way around?

Thanks for the help.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have a Dell Dimensio 4600 living inside an Antec case. It is my gaming computer believe it or not, but will soon become my wife's websurfer/wordprocessor. My wife speaks French and would like to install a French version of WindowsXP (which she already has).

My question: Do Dell computers only accept versions of Windows licensed for Dell? I know the copy of Windows sold with a Dell will only work with a Dell, but is it the other way around?

Thanks for the help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james_ander:
    My wife speaks French and would like to install a French version of WindowsXP (which she already has). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You should be able to use the Dell registered version. In the first interactive portion of GUI Setup, you can choose to customize the regional and language settings that will be used by XP, as well as the text input language you'd like.

Thanks Steve_V. I have seen French versions of windows and abo****ely evrything is in French. My wife had it on her dead PII and it drove me crazy.

Do you mean to say that you can select this with any copy of Windows using this menu?

Thanks.

That is my understanding, but I am unable to confirm it. Any licensed version of XP should install on the Dell. I have OS upgraded friends proprietary boxes using licensed copies without problems.

selecting french in that menu wont make your windows be in french language, just make your input language french by default

(so stuff like wordprocessors do the spellcheck based on french dictionaries, and you can type in french characters with the keyboard)

windows will still be in whatever language it came as.
    there's some multilanguage windows dvd's out there i think in which you can actually select what language the program itself installs with.

you shuld be able to install any retail windows on a dell (i've done it before on dell laptops)

Ive got 1 Dell sitting next to me running XP while I type this post on another Dell running Win2k

I just looked at the rescue disk and threw it away. Then pulled my own clean versions and installed the operating systems without all those little things The factory install wants you to have that you'll never need.
    Like Sign up for AOL
    Yea we all want that eating up harddrive space

Murphy's Law. Not just a theory, but a way of life.

Thanks, French XP it is.