Thread: New (unofficial) enhanced AI for Heroes 5 ToE 3.1 | Forums

[edit 13-Oct-2011]
    3.1i brings you a ton of upgrades. It has the town portal spell, a finely tuned hero flee threshold and a slew of new reference maps.

Enjoy Markkur's incredible Power of Dragons and an array of substantial improvements. The Heroes V experience is different now.

3.1i public release (10.5 MB)

[edit 5-Jun-2011]
    We have now a stronger build: 3.1c public release (7.8 MB)

It gives you a ton of additional options to customize the game to your liking.

You find more details in the accompanying readme file (included in the .zip).

[edit 8-May-2011]
    The most recent build is available here: 3.1b public release (6.2 MB)

It adds a choice of AI type (aggressive vs. defensive) for each computer player plus tons of other improvements and fixes. It also includes the option to have the AI start with the same resources as the player for more interesting scenarios on hard and heroic difficulty. Turn processing on very large maps is substantially faster, and the animations run fluidly now during turn processing. No more sloppy animations, enjoy the beauty of the game!

[edit] Please don't post bugs in this thread. These go here: Bugs and known issues

-----------------

A new AI mod for Heroes 5 Tribes of the East is available. More than that I hope that this first (unofficial) patch can be the start of a community driven effort to expand Heroes 5 into a game that comes close to the vision its fans have. As such I believe we have here a unique opportunity that thankfully has been approved by Ubisoft and that allows the community to direct a mature game project. H5 can live on, even with its bigger brother H6 on the horizon.

This AI mod is a full rewrite of the AI inspired by the spirit of H3 and the chess computer program Fritz that has proven that a computer AI can be a match for world champions. It is meant to give the strategic gameplay of H5 a boost by playing against dedicated AI opponents who know the ropes. This AI does not cheat, on higher difficulty levels the only advantage it has is the lower starting resources for the player.

You can download the AI mod from www.bonddisc.com/ref/H5AI_31.zip. This zip archive contains a readme with installation instructions.

Included with the AI mod are three new maps (Icy Defense, Island Hoppers and My Home is My Castle) that are intended as a challenge for veteran players.

I hope you enjoy playing Heroes ToE with this AI mod. This is a fan created patch, but by no means a closed effort. I hope that this can be the foundation of a community effort to develop H5 into a direction its fans desire. You tell me what you would like to see improved -- the AI on the combat map, the AI on the adventure map but also other features you desire if it is feasible to implement them.

As such I hope on feedback from you.

I am certain there are bugs in this (unofficial) patch. I have already a short list of issues that need fixing but if you encounter a bug please let me know.

[edit 13-Oct-2011]
    3.1i brings you a ton of upgrades. It has the town portal spell, a finely tuned hero flee threshold and a slew of new reference maps.

Enjoy Markkur's incredible Power of Dragons and an array of substantial improvements. The Heroes V experience is different now.

3.1i public release (10.5 MB)

[edit 5-Jun-2011]
    We have now a stronger build: 3.1c public release (7.8 MB)

It gives you a ton of additional options to customize the game to your liking.

You find more details in the accompanying readme file (included in the .zip).

[edit 8-May-2011]
    The most recent build is available here: 3.1b public release (6.2 MB)

It adds a choice of AI type (aggressive vs. defensive) for each computer player plus tons of other improvements and fixes. It also includes the option to have the AI start with the same resources as the player for more interesting scenarios on hard and heroic difficulty. Turn processing on very large maps is substantially faster, and the animations run fluidly now during turn processing. No more sloppy animations, enjoy the beauty of the game!

[edit] Please don't post bugs in this thread. These go here: Bugs and known issues

-----------------

A new AI mod for Heroes 5 Tribes of the East is available. More than that I hope that this first (unofficial) patch can be the start of a community driven effort to expand Heroes 5 into a game that comes close to the vision its fans have. As such I believe we have here a unique opportunity that thankfully has been approved by Ubisoft and that allows the community to direct a mature game project. H5 can live on, even with its bigger brother H6 on the horizon.

This AI mod is a full rewrite of the AI inspired by the spirit of H3 and the chess computer program Fritz that has proven that a computer AI can be a match for world champions. It is meant to give the strategic gameplay of H5 a boost by playing against dedicated AI opponents who know the ropes. This AI does not cheat, on higher difficulty levels the only advantage it has is the lower starting resources for the player.

You can download the AI mod from www.bonddisc.com/ref/H5AI_31.zip. This zip archive contains a readme with installation instructions.

Included with the AI mod are three new maps (Icy Defense, Island Hoppers and My Home is My Castle) that are intended as a challenge for veteran players.

I hope you enjoy playing Heroes ToE with this AI mod. This is a fan created patch, but by no means a closed effort. I hope that this can be the foundation of a community effort to develop H5 into a direction its fans desire. You tell me what you would like to see improved -- the AI on the combat map, the AI on the adventure map but also other features you desire if it is feasible to implement them.

As such I hope on feedback from you.

I am certain there are bugs in this (unofficial) patch. I have already a short list of issues that need fixing but if you encounter a bug please let me know.

znork's Avatar Forum mascot
    Hey grate job ther!

Will this AI modification patch work on the Camapaign AI's too?

If so that would be awesome since I'm still going through Hammers of Fate!

Two questions:

1. How big is the file?
    2. Does this mod actually work?

Thanks znork.

The ai mod works definetly for the ToE campaign. I am not sure though how you will play the HoF campaign under ToE. Is this possible with the Gold Edition?

The filesize of the patch is about 5.4 megabytes.

Technically it is a binary patch that you can install in parallel to the original game. You only need to copy the file to your bin folder. It works under Windows XP, and I guess under Windows 7 if you set it to launch in Windows XP compatibility mode.

"The Program can't start because zlib.1.dll is missing from your computer. Try Reinstalling the program to fix this problem." ??? (((

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OmegaZoa:
    "The Program can't start because zlib.1.dll is missing from your computer. Try Reinstalling the program to fix this problem." ??? ((( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you manage to unpack the zip archive and copy the H5_AIadv_31.exe file to the bin folder as instructed?

The ai mod doesn't require any dlls that are not already installed with Heroes 5 ToE 3.1.

I just downloaded it and played a little on some custom map. I must say that it is the most AWESOME, FANTASTIC, GREAT, AMAZING thing I've seen since Heroes V was released. The worst thing about Heroes V - terribly slow AI have been fixed.
    Quantomas you are my god now!(and everyone involved in this) Thanks a lot. I am going now to play some huge(unplayable before) Heroes V maps
    Thanks again, regards!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wodahsa:
    I just downloaded it and played a little on some custom map. I must say that it is the most AWESOME, FANTASTIC, GREAT, AMAZING thing I've seen since Heroes V was released. The worst thing about Heroes V - terribly slow AI have been fixed.
    Quantomas you are my god now!(and everyone involved in this) Thanks a lot. I am going now to play some huge(unplayable before) Heroes V maps
    Thanks again, regards! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are welcome.

The people we have to thank foremost are Xhane for getting Ubisoft's approval and Fabrice, who made this endeavor possible when he had been at the helm of H5. I really think highly of H5 and if we had an AI of this level back then, it would have made it into the hall of fame of strategy games.

In a way I believe that the AI is the core of a strategy game, and once this works, we can delve into using it for many advanced and interesting gameplay features.

Buf if it doesn't, we mainly have to deal with workarounds.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last ►►