Thread: quick question | Forums

I have core2 duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz and I wondering how to find out if i can upgrade this chip to a better one (either higher spec or quad core?) I'm not sure about the motherboard as its an acer pre built system, as you may tell from this that a PC expert I aint

I have core2 duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz and I wondering how to find out if i can upgrade this chip to a better one (either higher spec or quad core?) I'm not sure about the motherboard as its an acer pre built system, as you may tell from this that a PC expert I aint

You will need to know what socket for the CPU your MoBo takes. Mine is a 775.
    There is more research to be done however. There are many folks here who will be able to help.

Download a free program called cpu-z and that should tell you what kind of motherboard you have. The motherboards chipset (and to a lesser extent BIOS) will determine what upgrades are available to you.

P.S. I'm going to move this to community help.

core speed 1600.4mhz? what does that mean?
    I cant seem to overclock the processor either as its on an acer MRS600M motherboard and I cant find anywhere in the bios to change things.

Ok, there is a bios setting that lowers the CPU speed and voltage when the CPU not being used in order to save power, that's why it shows that way, it's not a problem. I need to see the tab that says Mainboard.

Ok, I did some research and Acer has really crappy support, lol. I wasn't able to find anything official but I did see several instances of people running that Acer motherboard with a Q6600. That would lead me to believe any of the 65nm core2 CPUs with a 1033fsb would run just fine. I doubt any 45nm or any 1333fsb CPUs would run.

Thanks Shin

My pleasure m8!