Thread: quick question | Forums

I have core2 duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz and I wondering how to find out if i can upgrade this chip to a better one (either higher spec or quad core?) I'm not sure about the motherboard as its an acer pre built system, as you may tell from this that a PC expert I aint
    Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, t
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have core2 duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz and I wondering how to find out if i can upgrade this chip to a better one (either higher spec or quad core?) I'm not sure about the motherboard as its an acer pre built system, as you may tell from this that a PC expert I aint
    To strive, to seek, t

You will need to know what socket for the CPU your MoBo takes. Mine is a 775.
    There is more research to be done however. There are many folks here who will be able to help.

This we'll defend

Download a free program called cpu-z and that should tell you what kind of motherboard you have. The motherboards chipset (and to a lesser extent BIOS) will determine what upgrades are available to you.

P.S. I'm going to move this to community help.
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson

core speed 1600.4mhz? what does that mean?
    I cant seem to overclock the processor either as its on an acer MRS600M motherboard and I cant find anywhere in the bios to change things.
    To strive, to seek, t

Ok, there is a bios setting that lowers the CPU speed and voltage when the CPU not being used in order to save power, that's why it shows that way, it's not a problem. I need to see the tab that says Mainboard.
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson

To strive, to seek, t

Ok, I did some research and Acer has really crappy support, lol. I wasn't able to find anything official but I did see several instances of people running that Acer motherboard with a Q6600. That would lead me to believe any of the 65nm core2 CPUs with a 1033fsb would run just fine. I doubt any 45nm or any 1333fsb CPUs would run.

Thanks Shin
    To strive, to seek, t

My pleasure m8!