Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rise of Flight blog update | Forums

What was taken as my masterpiece by my proud grandmother was the big Revell Rickenbakker Spad. 1/32 or 1/24? A bit cloudy on that one. Can't remember for the life of me. I've seen it recently in my local model shop, too, and thought about a trip down memory lane with it. Unusually, I actually painted it and was very pleased with the result. I always did like that cammo scheme. Anyway, Gran was so proud of it she put it pride of place on her ornament shelf and pointed it out to anyone who came round. Mind you, that sort of thing runs in the family (most families, I'd imagine), my mother still gets out the Christmas candles I made at infant's school - toilet roll tubes and coloured foil, little paper flame on the top. Bloody awful. She loves showing them to my lady friends.

O.k - you asked for it. Carts, look away.

A bit of a mystery with this one - perhaps someone can figure out what happened at the end of my latest airborne adventure. I've made some narrative embellishments, but the events recorded are set down to the best of my recollection...

Seemed like Jerry was coming to pay us a visit - bloody lunatics. Had they noticed the weather? I wouldn't send a dog up in that! In the mad rush to get up, I found myself leading the flight. I peered through the murk and couldn't make out any aircraft ahead, just lots of huge, rain-sodden low cloud. To be honest I had my doubts about there being anything up there today - I know he has poor taste in paint-jobs for his aeroplanes, but Jerry's a sensible flyer as a rule. Only a madman would come over in this...

The heck with it! I rolled the old girl forward and up we went...

As soon as we were off the ground, a pair of black Pfalz's came down at their customary fair old clip and shot past me...

I reckoned I was at safe enough speed to rudder the old girl around and gave chase, expecting to merely scare a Pfalz off from the lads below us. Maybe it was my height advantage, but I managed to stay with him and loosed off a couple of short bursts at opportune moments...

He finally started to pull away from me, I was surprised that it took him so long. As he faded into the grey distance, his chum shot past me dead ahead at about 90 degrees and I turned to get in a hopeful burst on this latest interloper...

The Pfalz zoomed away and I began a spiral climb in an attempt to get high enough to mix it with the black specks I could see swarming around above me. The odd tracer round told me that some of the lads had already made it up there. A flamer left a trail some way ahead of me. Couldn't tell if it was friend or foe...

A Pfalz drifted by just below me, his engine had obviously stopped and for a brief moment I thought about administering the ol' coup de grace, but, as ever, I was wary of his playmates and decided to conserve my ammo. Some other bugger could claim him, I thought...

Well, that was the opening bout over with. It was going to take a while to get up to the main event...

To be continued.

"You need to get out and **** more, L_F m8."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I continued my arduous climb, coming ever closer to the specks that I could now make out as aircraft. I marked out a two-seater - wary of being swooped upon by an all-seeing Pfalz at any moment. Thankfully, a couple the lads were up there ahead of me, keeping Jerry busy...

As I neared my chosen two-seater, he made a run for the clouds...

and almost immediately he seemed to think better of it. He banked right and I siezed my chance...

Aiming for the gunner is difficult enough at the best of times, up there in such conditions I was glad enough to fire at close range in the aircraft's general direction. I decided not to hang around and circled right for another pass. Jerry pulled off a neat move and headed back towards the cloud...

Again, he thought better of entering the cloud and entered a shallow dive right in front of me. I gave chase and fired at close range...

As I was lining up for another go from above and behind, Smudger returned to his old ways and came in from above and ahead - guns blazing. The two-seater broke up in maid-air...

Things were warming up. I cursed my aim and looked around for another target...

Stay tuned for the final instalment.

A speck of dirt on your windscreen could turn into an enemy fighter in the time it took to look round and back again. A little smear on your goggles might hide the plane that was coming in to kill you.
    Derek Robinson
    From the book Piece of Cake.

Couldn't help myself! My current WWI flying skills and those two reminded me of the Armstrong & Miller sketch.

A speck of dirt on your windscreen could turn into an enemy fighter in the time it took to look round and back again. A little smear on your goggles might hide the plane that was coming in to kill you.
    Derek Robinson

You should get a note for that. You know what I mean? I don't want to like totally ache your balls blud, but its like a disability and sh*t. Improper Flight Training and this, that and everything else. It's like your instructor were some gypsy in the high street wot wears your mums slippers. You can do them for that. Upside down in a field in your best trousers? Thats well hardcore man...

"Nineteen years of age, eight years public education, three years military service. Intelligent, normally observant and answered all questions freely.
    He was arrogant and proud to be a pilot. Fellow prisoners in hospital consider him mentally unstable."

Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
    You should get a note for that. You know what I mean? I don't want to like totally ache your balls blud, but its like a disability and sh*t. Improper Flight Training and this, that and everything else. It's like your instructor were some gypsy in the high street wot wears your mums slippers. You can do them for that. Upside down in a field in your best trousers? Thats well hardcore man...

Isn't it! My balls were really welling after that one! I was away when we did flight training,my nan died. I had to take the short course and sh*t. So now I've crashed my plane in field and mashed up some cows and sh*t. Harsh!

I'll try to keep this up with my next mission.

Derek Robinson

This thread is the one reason I actually check in here any more.
    Loved the Armstrong and Miller gag.

Must.....buy.....more......planes......credit..... card.....burning.....hole......in.....wallet....

Proudly Flying on Hyperlobby as _AH_Prop http://aceshigh.ws/forum/index.php

Word, FlatSpin.

Yo, JG2! You want to put some banging tunes on the in flight gramophone player. Isn't it? Cruise with your massive to some old school hardcore. The ladies love it and sh*t. Suggestive lyrics turn them on and stuff. Rad, bro' !

Cucumber

Cigar

Coconut

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast