Thread: Dirt (er the car game, not the music or anything else) | Forums

Thought I`d give Colin McRae`s Dirt a run since it was going really cheap.

I tried a road rally game about ten years ago. boring, uneventful sceneless. I thought at the time what this game needed was immersion since driving through a country lane alone was kinda rubbish.

Well, 10 years later they`ve done it. I`m quite impressed with how immersive this driving game is. Rolling through a torturous country lane is no longer cr@ppy because everything looks so realistic. Trees and bushes are an obstacle and can bust you up. I actually hit a large boulder just below wheel height and nearly flipped. The bumper smashed, bonnet flies up, windscreen shatters, etc. The sounds are truly excellent and your car bounces up and down along the undulations of the road to the point that you really do feel like you`re there.

That`s not to mention some of the other excellent race types too that are an adrenaline rush. Trying to get through a pack of muddy vehicles in 1st-person view bouncing around is amazingly immersive.

Co-driver`s pretty damn good too. In replay he`s talking to you and looking at his pad and all that.

Easy was too easy, so now I`m bumped up to Amateur (medium) level and of course, manual gears.

It kinda reminds me of what BOBSOW might be like if it does justice to IL2.

Very nice racing game and a keeper I think.

But I cannot make a post like this without my sad thoughts and condolences to Colin Mcrae and family...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thought I`d give Colin McRae`s Dirt a run since it was going really cheap.

I tried a road rally game about ten years ago. boring, uneventful sceneless. I thought at the time what this game needed was immersion since driving through a country lane alone was kinda rubbish.

Well, 10 years later they`ve done it. I`m quite impressed with how immersive this driving game is. Rolling through a torturous country lane is no longer cr@ppy because everything looks so realistic. Trees and bushes are an obstacle and can bust you up. I actually hit a large boulder just below wheel height and nearly flipped. The bumper smashed, bonnet flies up, windscreen shatters, etc. The sounds are truly excellent and your car bounces up and down along the undulations of the road to the point that you really do feel like you`re there.

That`s not to mention some of the other excellent race types too that are an adrenaline rush. Trying to get through a pack of muddy vehicles in 1st-person view bouncing around is amazingly immersive.

Co-driver`s pretty damn good too. In replay he`s talking to you and looking at his pad and all that.

Easy was too easy, so now I`m bumped up to Amateur (medium) level and of course, manual gears.

It kinda reminds me of what BOBSOW might be like if it does justice to IL2.

Very nice racing game and a keeper I think.

But I cannot make a post like this without my sad thoughts and condolences to Colin Mcrae and family...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    But I cannot make a post like this without my sad thoughts and condolences to Colin Mcrae and family... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah man, ditto on that. The period when Colin and then Richard Burns ruled the roost was a great time for British rally fans. I still find it hard to believe they are both gone. Far too young for that.

The first rally game that actually felt like you were driving imo was Colin Mcrae Rally 2. What a buzz that was. I loved the "bumper cam" view. Richard Burns Rally, which came out a while after that, was also good.

Are you playing the game on PC SeaFire? Does it have a bumper cam view? Do you drive in RL? And, finally, do you feel as though the car is "sliding" as you go round bends, or does the car feel as though it's on rails?
    Blairgowrie
    is still
    da man!

foxyboy1964 a.k.a. PINKY!

I got it too and it´s real fun.Like the hill climbs.I wouldn´t say that the car ride on rails but it´s not like Richard burns rally in that matter,but you can slide in Dirt very well.Graphic wise it´s top notch.A good game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxyboy1964:

Are you playing the game on PC SeaFire? Does it have a bumper cam view? Do you drive in RL? And, finally, do you feel as though the car is "sliding" as you go round bends, or does the car feel as though it's on rails? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I used to drive, but don`t have a car any more, so driving is pretty rare for me these days. I don`t miss it to be honest in civvy land. Now if I could rally drive....

This is on the PC and in Head Cam view (basically looking through the pilot`s helmet eye position). Car certainly feels like it`s sliding if you drop gear, handbrake quick and power up, especially on the higher difficulty settings. It`s not entirely realistic (though not far off imho), but it`s pretty immersive.

Just had another great ride where I`m in cross country among other cars of similar skill to mine. I just managed to take the lead and accelerated when my co-driver says, "Left-1, caution".

I`m thinking, "Left 1, what`s 1 stand for?- U-TURN!"

I slammed the handbrake, drop gears, twisted the wheel - and flipped. BANG, BANG, BANG as the car toppled over and over. The ground flies up around me, the windscreen shatters, shards flying about. Windscreen wipers here and there. Left door flies away, earth and bits all over the place as we fly into the bushes and trees. the noise realistic and deafening.

and there`s me thinking, "I`ve lost the race then..."

Priceless.

Its a fun game, with a FFB wheel its intense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    I don`t miss it to be honest in civvy land. Now if I could rally drive....
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't drive any more either, the last time I did was in the mid 90's and it was a chore rather than fun.

Thanks for the game info guys, I think I might just check it out
    Blairgowrie
    is still
    da man!

foxyboy1964 a.k.a. PINKY!

The cars turn on a central pivot....its awfull...in fact its a travesty. The brakes are way to effective. They also feel weightless. Colin Mcrae One handled better.
    "We are only seeking Man. We have no need of other worlds. We need mirrors. We don't know what to do with other worlds. A single world, our own, suffices us; but we can't accept it for what it is. We are seaching for an ideal image of our own world" - Solaris

Sadly, the major networks don't cover F1 here in the US like they do NASCAR, but there's this dude Dan Wheldon who's doing well in Indy cars (the American version of open wheel racing). I believe he's a Brit. Then there's Hamilton in F1, so Brits are still out there holding down the fort in racing.