Thread: Thanks Ubisoft... Reinstalling windows... (starforce again) | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Well, I tried the beta, and it looks like the game has promise. Uninstalled it, and found that Windows will no longer access my dvd+-rw drive properly, using starforce removal tools did not fix this.

Why companies think it's good business to put operating-system corrupting software into their paying customer's machines is far beyond me. The pirates will still play the game without starforce, unrestricted, but I won't be able to because Windows will no longer read the install media, my drive doesn't work. Ubisoft, you sicken me.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Well, I tried the beta, and it looks like the game has promise. Uninstalled it, and found that Windows will no longer access my dvd+-rw drive properly, using starforce removal tools did not fix this.

Why companies think it's good business to put operating-system corrupting software into their paying customer's machines is far beyond me. The pirates will still play the game without starforce, unrestricted, but I won't be able to because Windows will no longer read the install media, my drive doesn't work. Ubisoft, you sicken me.

The starforce removal tool don't work properly. Sad to say, so you have to finish the clean up manually. You don't need reinstall your Windows for that purpose, once the all is removed your drive should work again.

If you have problems it would be wise to upgrade the frameware of your drive and/or drivers to access it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mandoris:

Why companies think it's good business to put operating-system corrupting software into their paying customer's machines is far beyond me. The pirates will still play the game without starforce, unrestricted, but I won't be able to because Windows will no longer read the install media, my drive doesn't work. Ubisoft, you sicken me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WizIce wrote:
    If you have problems it would be wise to upgrade the frameware of your drive and/or drivers to access it.

What he meant is for you to go back into your Mainboard's box in retrieve the drivers CD including all of your other peripheral hardware's drivers. That can be done only after you use Windows Update.

Windows Update will re-install a Microsoft version of a driver fully compatible with Windows for your Combination DVD-RW drive. Once that done your drive should function perfectly. Reinstall the proper driver from the manufacturer of the optical drive.

Once your proper driver for that optical drive is reinstalled, locate the name of the company that provides those optical drives. Go online via their web-site and, retrieve the most up-to-date version of that specific(S/N) optical drive and its unique specs.

The next time you want to uninstall HoMM5, please use the Add/Remove Programs function within the Control Panel of your copy of WinXP. Do not use the uninstall program included within the Beta package, it does not work properly(not even related to StarForce).

Good Luck at re-configuring your PC!!

Did you already reinstall Windows? If not you could find additional information this way:

Start &gt; click "Control Panel" &gt; click "Performance and Maintenance" &gt; click "Administrative Tools" &gt; double-click "Event viewer". There you should check the "system" logs to see if there are yellow (warning) or red (error) entries at the same time you had problems with the drive. If so, if you can provide the information in them it might help to find out exactly what went wrong.

Start &gt; Run... &gt; type "control panel" and enter &gt; System &gt; Hardware tab &gt; Device Manager &gt;Find your CD/DVD drive &gt; right-click and select properties &gt; the Device Status box could contain an error code if there's something wrong with the device.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daroth_343:
    Did you already reinstall Windows? If not you could find additional information this way:

Start &gt; click "Control Panel" &gt; click "Performance and Maintenance" &gt; click "Administrative Tools" &gt; double-click "Event viewer". There you should check the "system" logs to see if there are yellow (warning) or red (error) entries at the same time you had problems with the drive. If so, if you can provide the information in them it might help to find out exactly what went wrong.

Start &gt; Run... &gt; type "control panel" and enter &gt; System &gt; Hardware tab &gt; Device Manager &gt;Find your CD/DVD drive &gt; right-click and select properties &gt; the Device Status box could contain an error code if there's something wrong with the device. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent walkthrough.

So, when you are at the Device properties window, look at the middle of it, you should be able to see the name of the manufacturer and, the next line tells you the date of issuing of the current driver in use(as of now). Since we all are, now, in 2006, you should have a beginning of the year 2005 version of it. If not, you have to refer to my previous post for the steps needed to be accomplished in order to update that device driver.

Again, Good Luck!! and Enjoy a completely updated PC of yours!!