Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clear the video card memory? | Forums

Kyrat Edition Trailer | Far Cry 4 [UK]

Survive Kyrat | Far Cry 4 [PSN] [UK]

KYRAT SERIES 1 - The lowlands | Far Cry 4 [UK]

Hurk is back! | Far Cry 4 [UK]

When I play for about 1 hour, some objects start to flash black and white for 1 or 2 seconds. Then the game crashes to the desktop about 1 minute after that.

The problem might be the video card memory gets full and causes the game to crash. Is there a command to type into the console that will clear the memory? I have seen it in 1 or 2 other games.

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 3870 with 512 MB GDDR4.
    Drivers: Catalyst 8.10 with Hotfix.

I see the 8.11 drivers are out, I will install them and try it again. But I would still like to know how to clear the memory.
    Athlon X2 5600+; MSI K9A2 Platinum; Corsair XMS2 4GB; Diamond HD 3870; Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Plantinum PCIe;
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit; Antec P182 case; Antec TP3 550 watt PSU.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

When I play for about 1 hour, some objects start to flash black and white for 1 or 2 seconds. Then the game crashes to the desktop about 1 minute after that.

The problem might be the video card memory gets full and causes the game to crash. Is there a command to type into the console that will clear the memory? I have seen it in 1 or 2 other games.

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 3870 with 512 MB GDDR4.
    Drivers: Catalyst 8.10 with Hotfix.

I see the 8.11 drivers are out, I will install them and try it again. But I would still like to know how to clear the memory.
    Athlon X2 5600+; MSI K9A2 Platinum; Corsair XMS2 4GB; Diamond HD 3870; Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Plantinum PCIe;

This is an ongoing issue that a lot of people have been having since launch.

It's more prominent on ATi hardware, but it's been happening for some folks on nVidia hardware as well.

Since launch, I haven't seen any working solutions. I think the only answer is to wait for a patch. Although, I have yet to personally try the new Catalyst drivers.

Installed the 8.11 drivers and I still have the same problem.

It's memory. Shouldn't it clear itself?

I'm desperatly trying to figure out why i can't get the game running properly. I can't seem to get my video card working properly, the video card is a ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition with the 8.11 driver. Iv'e installed the new Catalyst drivers, butI't just won't work, the game runs but I have no picture whatsoever. Anybody got a solution? Do I have to change videocard?

I looked up the console commands for Far Cry 1. You could use the command \R_Flush to clear the video memory. It did not work in Far Cry 2. I know the 2 games use different engines, but it was worth a shot.

I think the problem might be the video card is over heating. I'll try playing it in windowed mode to monitor the temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arken1968:
    Anybody got a solution? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know the game is running if you have no picture? Do you see the splash screen when it loads or the intro videos? If you open up the Windows Task Manager, is the game listed in the applications? Do you have WinXP or Vista?

The X850 XT is an old card. You should think about buying an HD 4670, 4830, or 4850. Shop at mWave.com, ZipZoomFly, or NewEgg. I hope you have a PCI Express slot instead of AGP.

If you have an AGP slot, mWave has an HD 3850 card here:
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec_...iteria=AA72826

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arken1968:
    the video card is a ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition with the 8.11 driver. ... Do I have to change videocard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Checking the GPU requirements for FC2, it seems the X850 isnt supported - youll need a better VGA.

Temperatures:

I took off the side cover of my case to let some more air in. I opened the Catalyst Control Center and clicked the ATI Overdrive utility. I watched the temps there while I was playing. Most of the time the temps were about 82 degrees Celcius. I noticed that it got up to 88 and even 90 degrees one time. When the game crashed, the temp immediately went down to 73 and after about 10 minutes it went down to 45 degrees.

I don't know what the temp threashold is but I never had a crash-to-desktop problem with Crysis (just low fps).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast