Thread: Error Cannot initialize 3D engine | Forums

Has anyone experienced this error when attempting to state chessmaster 10th aniversery.

System was working great and suddenly upon startup I get this error and cannot start the program.

Need help on this
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Has anyone experienced this error when attempting to state chessmaster 10th aniversery.

System was working great and suddenly upon startup I get this error and cannot start the program.

Need help on this

The only time I have seen this error with any UbiSoft product was with SH3. The solution there was to lower desktop resolution to 1024x768 before launching the sim. It may be your desktop resoution is not supported by Chessmaster, as in SH3, but that is only a guess.

Well, I have the same trouble, only for some reason, right after installation, Chessmaster DID run. now it doesnt. not even in openGL. I ran dxtools, and tested, and everything was ok.
    please help!

yes, that is obvious.. but unfortunately, the only difference was restarting.. it goes like this:
    0. install
    1. works
    2. restart <- seems to be the problem
    3. does not work

this is a tough one to crack, but as a chessmaster... :-)

hehehe... yes, as windows users we pretty much have to reboot here and there.. mostly there though..
    Iam ahead of you, already tried reinstalling , but the darn thing wont operate.. well.. ill let you all know if I come up with some intelligent solution to this rather annoying error..

p.s
    We should all join forces, and make ubisoft put this game out on linux. that would be the solution for many problems, and the beginning of a whole other set of problems..

ohh man.. this is one hell of an error.. check this out:
    1. followed your link. removed both monitor drivers
    2. tried to run : failed
    3. rebooted
    4. tried to run : success
    5. closed cm, opened up internet + Firefox to reply to you
    6. tried to run : failed
    7. closed Firefox
    8. tried to run : success
    9. opened up Firefox
    10. tried to run : failed
    11. closed again
    12. tried to run : failed
    13. from now on, its all failed.. reboot, with or without Firefox.. internet.. ahh...

13 steps of hell.

what does it want?
    does Firefox has anything to do with dx9?
    this is quite annoying..

It may also be a hardware problem on your video card. Depending on the temperature of the circuits on the card it works or not.
    Don't you have this kind of problem with other heavy 3D applications, GoogleEarth, etc...

Hello All...

I updated the monitors on my computer and got the error message ( cannot initialize 3D engine ). This was rather annoying since Chessmaster 10 was working perfectly fine on my old monitor.

After poking around, I noticed that the video card hardware acceleration was turned off. Turning this back on fixed the problem.

Then I had the problem of DirectX mode not working. However, this was fixed when I applyed the Chessmaster patch.

Hope this helps anyone who has these problems.