Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions: Myst Challenge | Forums

Id like to make a suggestion to the creators of the game: Can you include optional (secret) sidequests? I always like sidequests in the final-fantasy games.
    You can make the puzzles really hard for the diehard myst-fans. The story line - puzzles can stay easy to fit the mainstream.

To the players i propose the following challenge: No-Notition game:
    You are not allowed to make *any* notes. this will make the puzzles more challenging ;-)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Id like to make a suggestion to the creators of the game: Can you include optional (secret) sidequests? I always like sidequests in the final-fantasy games.
    You can make the puzzles really hard for the diehard myst-fans. The story line - puzzles can stay easy to fit the mainstream.

To the players i propose the following challenge: No-Notition game:
    You are not allowed to make *any* notes. this will make the puzzles more challenging ;-)

Hi,
    I've never seen a sidequest in an adventure game - they seem to be more prevelant in RPGs. I do think it's a great idea!
    -----------------------------
    Regards,
    mszv
    - playing Paradise
    - play Until Uru as amarez

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

I have a request.....more than just one Easter egg?

I don't have a problem with in-game notes.. I mean... they're quite handy.

I think it'd be neat if there were pointless Ages that you could wander around in for no reason... like... one with these huge celery stalks. Man... I'd call that Age... "Celedahn".

I don't have a problem with more challenging puzzles... I'd just prefer that they didn't involve math or... *cough* ... standing in one spot for 15 minutes... *cough-cough*

Other than that, challenge away.

~Dunkin Zoonutsii

I just hope they don't make the mistake they made with Kadesh Tolesa in Uru. You know, the age where you had to link back to the d'ni gallery every two minutes to look up a clue.

This was fine in the days of pre-rendered scenery, but did anyone stop to consider that in realtime 3d we have LOADING TIMES? I spent more time on that age than any other, just waiting for the load each time I switched ages.

There's one in Path of the Shell that's possibly even worse.
    Typos Can Change The World, Or Possibly The Word

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You know, the age where you had to link back to the d'ni gallery every two minutes to look up a clue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My approach to that one was to do a screen capture at each of the Gallery exhibits, then print each image and keep the paper copies handy while exploring the rest of the age.

While I'd also greatly enjoy side missions and sightseeing ages, the unfortunate fact is that such features also take lots of time and money to develop, and Cyan's probably really watching their expenses right now. Besides, one of the hallmarks of the earlier games was a spare simplicity that wrapped the environment tightly around the gameplay, so any additional "chrome" would be a bit out of character. Just opinion, of course!

Be sure to catch The Cavern Today podcast -- the voice of the Uru community! www.thecaverntoday.com

Prologue KI #946599
    D'mala KI #60628

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've never seen a sidequest in an adventure game - they seem to be more prevelant in RPGs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Myst IV had a couple of them. I dont really want to spoil, but in Haven the whole getting into the shipwreck was optional, just so you could read Achenar's journal.

Exploring Gahreesen was fairly side-questy too, since all u had to do was hit the journey in the second tower. The rest was optional.

I think the "side-questy" stuff in Myst so far has been mostly journals and story elements and countless interactive "things" throughout all the games. I think it may be frustrating for people to do puzzles then later find out they were not necessary. Thats what I felt in Haven.

Sidequests make sense only if they're plot driven, that is, neccessary. Unneccessary sidequests stink. They're just busy work. ("Just go do something! Make yourself look busy!") So basically, I don't like sidequests, if that's what you want to call them. I do like puzzles with a lot of different elements to them if they're neccessary to complete the puzzle.

Just another thought... I'd enjoy side quests, but only if it was made obvious that they were only side quests, and not essential to the game. It would be frustrating to complete a major hunk of deductive work only to find out that it was irrelevant to the game solution.

Be sure to catch The Cavern Today podcast -- the voice of the Uru community! www.thecaverntoday.com

Prologue KI #946599
    D'mala KI #60628

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast