Thread: Custom maps in root folder | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Outpost App [UK]

To all ubi staf that read this.
    Would it be able to put the download folder for the custom maps in the root instal folder of farcry 2? Now i can't host any servers that are running windows server 2k3 or 2k8 because i can't give people acces to a document folder.

Would it be able that the custom map's are stored in the root folder or at least we can pick where we store are maps.

Greetzz
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Would it be able to put the download folder for the custom maps in the root instal folder of farcry 2? Now i can't host any servers that are running windows server 2k3 or 2k8 because i can't give people acces to a document folder.

Would it be able that the custom map's are stored in the root folder or at least we can pick where we store are maps.

Greetzz

Win server wont let you copy-paste them wherever you want? Even manually, one by one instead of the whole folder? (still a PC n00b but thanks to FC2 I've learned a lot)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Promethium:

Greetzz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I did a lan-party config on a Xeon machine with Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise Edition, and no problems there to host dedicated (1.03) with custom maps and people downloading the maps.
    I don't quite understand the access problem for people. Do you mean for players downloading the maps ? Probably not if it's online and they will use the server from Ubisoft, so they don't need access to your documents directories. Or do you provide the server to other people so they can host on your server(s) ?
    Maybe you can provide some more details ?

The problem is if you rent out a server i give only acces to the rootfolder. because a windows only has one place to store it documents it isn't good for server hosting.

Now i'm looking for a way to place the maps that are normaly stored in user maps/downloads to the root where al my server stuff is for customers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Promethium:
    The problem is if you rent out a server i give only acces to the rootfolder. because a windows only has one place to store it documents it isn't good for server hosting.

Now i'm looking for a way to place the maps that are normaly stored in user maps/downloads to the root where al my server stuff is for customers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I don't think a have a solution if giving access is the problem, perhaps just a few suggestions you might wanna look into.

Make a seperate account for each customer. In WinXP if you right click on My Documents and go to properties, you have the option to change the target folder. Perhaps you can do something with that to seperate things.

If you are good with the registry you might find a solution there.

Otherwise Linux is a better option security wise, I think most providers prefer linux dedicated servers because of that.

And last but not least, if you are a commercial hoster I don't see why you cannot ask Ubi for the solution. However I would try to contact them directly instead of through this forum.

Yeah, but UBI isn't responding to nothing.
    They are realy letting down this community

I'm guessing this is one of the reasons dedicated servers still cost over $80 per month.
    Look for our server -M- | mgklan.com MGL= BAN
    Now Recruiting 18+ www.myrmidonsgaming.org
    -M-Retnil
    Myrmidons Gaming Director