Thread: OT- intro/Das Boot Question | Forums

Hello, first i would just like to say hi to everone on the forums, i just got SH3 a week or so ago, and i've been browsing on the forums lately to get some help learning the game, which is amazing. The community here seems great as well. I recently dug up a copy of Das Boot and was watching it and noticed that the Kapitan and some of the officers would occasionaly wear what looked like goggles. does anyone know what these were or what they were for?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello, first i would just like to say hi to everone on the forums, i just got SH3 a week or so ago, and i've been browsing on the forums lately to get some help learning the game, which is amazing. The community here seems great as well. I recently dug up a copy of Das Boot and was watching it and noticed that the Kapitan and some of the officers would occasionaly wear what looked like goggles. does anyone know what these were or what they were for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaste07:
    Hello, first i would just like to say hi to everone on the forums, i just got SH3 a week or so ago, and i've been browsing on the forums lately to get some help learning the game, which is amazing. The community here seems great as well. I recently dug up a copy of Das Boot and was watching it and noticed that the Kapitan and some of the officers would occasionaly wear what looked like goggles. does anyone know what these were or what they were for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They were commonly used during surfacing operations during daylight hours. The tinted goggles would allow them to adjust to sunlight. (Sunglasses)

At day they were sometimes used to protect the eyes but they couldnt see very good through their binoculars with them.

They were mainly used at night to accomodate the eyes to the darkness before climbing onto the conning tower.

There is the red light in the control room.

This helps a bit as it isnt as bright as normal white light.

But they additionaly used the glasses to prevent that the iris accomodates to the brightness of the lights in the u-boat.

Because, when they do, you would get out into the dark night and wouldnt see anything as your eyes need almost a minute (or longer , depending on the light conditions you were in before) to accomodate to the darkness around you.

This is one minute too long. Thats why they used the glasses. To accomodate their eyes to the darkness before going out on the conning tower.

Ahhh yes , welcome aboard

"That one over there" - Oswald Boelcke pointing at Manfred von Richthofen after having been asked who of the rookies shows most of whats required to become a great fighter pilot.

Yep, thanks for the help. I loved watching that movie and hearing the Kapitan give the data for the firing solutions to his WO, because i was like "I know what that means!" after playing sh3.

Time for a swing of the lamp.... back in my submarine days, I was a radio operator. The wireless (radio) office on my boat was aft of the control room, and the accommodation space (or mine, at least) was forward.

Trying to pass through the control room at night, at periscope depth, could take up to twenty minutes at times. Ten minutes just stading there trying to get accustomed to the dark, a few minutes of gently creeping around with your boot to see if anything was in the way, a few more minutes stepping in somebody's way or on their toes, and a final burst aft into slightly less gloom to get to the office. You had to remember where all the low hanging hard bits were, too. And woe betide you if you got in the Captain's way. Stevie Wonder could have done it quicker.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gchalcraft/sm/British Submarines of World War Two

44:15:20.09N 76:27:14.10W

Where's me bubble?