Thread: Computer restart problem | Forums

Recently my computer started to have problems on starting up and on restarts (even after a couple of hours)it failed to startup.
    I temporarily solved the problem by turning it off at power supply switch and detaching power lead from power supply socket, then leaving overnight. In morning(after approx 8 hours) I plugged power lead to powewr supply and turned on and lo and behold it started. Problem reoccurred when I turned it off-and after it powered down then switched it off at rear power supply switch; and 3 hours later tried to restart- no-go, it wouldn't start and also the indicator light on motherboard was not illuminated and on other restart trials was in a fast blinking state rather than a constant illumination state.

Question is-- is the power supply failing or is it the motherboard failing - or maybe the CMOS battery not providing enough charge(its a few years old)-just thinking here of all electrical power items and probably has no influence on problem, but supplying all info I can.

Once it is in a working state everything seems to work normally as before- I built this unit 4 years ago and maybe its time for an upgrade that I cant afford at the moment.
    BTW the power supply is a 650w Codegen unit that I keep cleaned out from dust like rest of computer so I dont think dust acumulation might be the problem or is it prudent to remove cover from power supply and brush and vacuum it out.
    Just providing all info I can for the wizards her to hopefully give me a heads-up on a solution.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Nice to know, I'm not the only one who has had that problem...It is frustrating...

I would love to tell you that I know how to fix it...It would be helpful to know your motherboard model, Graphics Card...and have you checked your RAM for errors and "seating"? I was never successful in totally fixing my "same problem"...I did, however make it more tolerable..My issues began with the addition of a EVGA Nvidia 465 GTX...I was never really certain that it was the cause.. BLow the dust off everything, reseat everything on in the mother board to start with...

Lots of smarter folks than me are around here...this will at least get you started and won't cause any harm....and it could "fix" it..

Good Luck...oh, The worst my system is? Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to post...and then it fires on up..

Annoying.

If the CMOS battery was bad the system would most likely not start up at all, or start to lose CMOS settings.

A CMOSbattery (CR2032) will usually last up to 10 years. These batteries are not rechargeable.
    That said, a new battery might have been sitting on a shelve for a decade.

A failing system (motherboard, graphics card, memory etc.) would produce a series of short/long beeps other than the normal single long beep POST (Power-On Self-Test).

These warning beeps are sort-of a morse code and depend on the BIOS mfg. They should be described in your motherboard manual. You can also look them up online,

e.g. AMI BIOS Beep codes

It could be the power supply starting to fail. Remove the left case cover and check if the power supply case in there is getting hot (it is if you can't keep your hand on it).
    Last edited by MAXMHZ1959; 01-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks for reply, I knew about the POST beeps and hear none on startup.
    Any ideas of a good power supply with a gold rating of 650- 750 watts as a replacemnt , as I need to construct a new computer soon and will use it in the build.
    From what I understand the gold rating uses power more efficiently and has a usage output power efficiency over 90% - through the output load from10% to 100% load, if I am not misreading what I have read.
    Brand and model would be appreciated especially if someone here has used on in a build or has other knowledge. Thanks in advance

It certainly sounds exactly like a failing/failed power supply from what I've seen and personal experience. I was unable to find any wattage tech docs online for your psu. A simple check with a multimeter should tell. See:

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

To get a better understanding of the new ratings, spend a few minutes reading
    Picking The Right Power Supply: What You Should Know

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,2916.html

PSU pricing varies on where you live. In the states, newegg sells a lot of hardware. Read their customer reviews to get a good idea of quality.
    Last edited by steve_v; 01-18-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Additional to Steve's advice, you could try SpeedFan to monitor voltages (if your motherboard supports it).
    - Check under "Charts"

If you decide to buy a new PSU, look at the motherboard manual which type you need. There should be a stcker visible on your current PSU too that lists the type (remove the left case cover to read). Don't go for a no-name brand. These often do not deliver what they promise.
    Last edited by MAXMHZ1959; 01-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Purchased another power supply (580w by DRS a cheapie-$65) and the computer starts up and runs well.
    BUT there is a constant noise coming from it -not a fan niose but more like a constant electronic high pitched shriek-bloody annoying.
    The noise is definitely coming from the power supply and not from GPU etc. When moving sliders on rhs of screen such as this the noise intensity fluctuates. Any ideas I know it's hard to diagnose from what I have written rather than actually hearing it but any help gratefully appreciated

The sort of high pitched squeal you describe is often (but not always) a failing capacitor. I would suspect that your cheap power supply was cheap for a reason.

Thanks for the technical tip Tully!
    I'd thought of that and will see if it continues and replace.
    It was cheap as its a stop gap measure to get the computer running again.
    Update
    Returned it to shop for replacement-(salesman ws unhappy to swap, he tried all the typical tech speak/bullsh* to try to make me feel that it was my computer and not the power supply which was noisy) ultimately gave me a changeover unit -- funny that one squealed also.
    I took this one back and told them in no uncertain terms that the batch they now have possibly has faulty components- as it was a capacitor noise and as it probasbly cost 1/4 the sales price to produce must have had excessively cheap components,which failed and they should check the other units for noise before onselling (as 3 of the units tried all exhibited same noise).

Bit the bullet, payed out more cash, lots more, and bought a Corsair TX 750, which should be a good long term unit and it runs very quietly unlike the others.
    Last edited by Crazy_Goanna; 02-23-2012 at 01:40 PM.