Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military life | Forums

28 should be way inside the joining age so that won't be a problem, however....

You said you are married and have a family?
    In my experiance the military life for a basic rank is better suited to a single bloke, especially a new recruit.

The strains placed upon your wife will be nearly as great as those placed upon yourself, so I would seriously discuss this first, as once 'in' its quite hard to get out.
    Also, with the current world situation and all that..

Not trying to put you off as I think the military can offer loads (I am ex UK Army), but there are pitfalls
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
    I am glad to hear this.
    I cannot speak for the UK, but 28 shouldn't be too old.
    Remember that you will always be glad that you did this if you follow through with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL Choctaw, he's Canadian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did I not see that?
    Oops.

This we'll defend

Don't know in Canada. In Spain, I was rejected for being too old... I was 22.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bartman.:

Thanks mate!.. serve us well & serve us proud , i wish i could do the same .

Bartman. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers bartman! definitely will do

goodluck with the decision skunk
    "It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars."
    --Garrison Keillor.
    US humorist & radio broadcaster

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
    Don't know in Canada. In Spain, I was rejected for being too old... I was 22. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're talking about the military, not your twisted personal exploits
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson

its all about sacrifice, endurance and PERSEVERANCE. Depending on rank depends on pay and allowances, working/living conditions that will never occur in civillian life, you will have to endure conditions that a state cant impose on a death row inmate etc.

Moving, if you serve you will move, figure once very 3-4 yrs or so, maybe not so much in canada.

Part of moving is the new cost of living etc that one must endure at each new duty station, some better some worse.

Family, well if they dont mind moving and changing schools and jobs every time you move... thats the key, my daughter went to 3 different high schools in 4 yrs.. kinda wrecks the old home and social life etc.

I havent found an employer yet that could keep up with the us military in any department, gauranteed pay raises, cost of living allowance by zip code and 30 days vacation a year, free mediacl and dental for you and co pays for family, all not a bad package.

Not to mention the retirement benefits, i retired at 42 making $2700.00 a month before going off to work at my new job.
    I am incapable of debate and will refrain from doing so

As Stugumby says...
    Essentially you will be sacrificing your freedom that you've known up till now. You will regret this, make no bones about it. Your family life will suffer as a consequence.

My advice is that you're 'too old' to join up, as you've already established your family and home life - military will just mess this up.

Forget about the 'glory' and other silly ideas like this. If you want to work on the heavies, there are plenty companies around, competency courses to do, and in the end if you do not like the company, you're in charge of your life, and you'll still have your family.

I've made many sacrifices, and let many personal opportunities go, so that I can be with my wife and kids. I never have regretted each of those decisions I've made, and I'm happy I did what I did.

I spent 4 years in the airforce, then one day decided that was enough nonsense, and resigned.
    Being a man is all about being bold/brave enough to make the 'right' decision, no matter what the 'masses' say.

Now it's up to you.

We like all foreigners - We have no problems with them ??

I know that the canadian military have an understanding of their members that have families, they even say so on their website

They also have a getting out policy that is really forgiving, you can get out at any time.

I realise the decision is ultimately up to me and that I'll have to face the realities of it all, but its just something I've always wanted to do and I feel as though I'm going to regret it if I dont try. Its not glory chasing at all.

I grew up a bit of a brat, though my dad wasnt military, we moved alot when I was a kid so I'm accustomed to the moving.

TEAM PACIFIC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:
    I know that the canadian military have an understanding of their members that have families, they even say so on their website </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Until you sign on the dotted line....
    READ THE FINE PRINT READ THE FINE PRINT READ THE FINE PRINT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunk_438RCAF:
    I realise the decision is ultimately up to me ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually it's not...
    If you were single and unattached.. yes - but now it's not only you. You may think so, but if your family doesn't, it's only a matter of time.

Give it some serious thought and family discussion. This is like an adventure into unknown territory and there is no rush. If you all agree - no problem - women do not like moving around to much, they prefer stability.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast