Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sketchy Movement and No Talking | Forums

If that's one long and two short beeps, it means there's a video error, and the BIOS cannot initialize the video chipset. This indicates a CMOS-ROM and/or system BIOS problem.

Try the following:

1. Replace the CR-2032 CMOS ("BIOS memory") battery. See E - Battery. The tiny clip on the right side of the battery in the graphic must be pushed away from the battery to free it up for removal. The tiny clip may also need to be pushed aside to allow inserting the new battery. Note that the battery goes into the holder with the "+" side up. Wait for at least 15 minutes after removing the original battery (to clear the CMOS-ROM), then insert the new battery, close the case, and boot up.

2. Replace your motherboard. I'd recommend replacing with the exact same board, since that'll avoid having to back up the data on your hard disks - which can be especially nasty with a Gateway machine. Plus, you can use your existing CPU and memory sticks (assuming they're not damaged). The exact same board is available here.

If you aren't familiar with removing and replacing CPU's, you might want to consider having a professional computer person do it. There can be problems getting the CPU off of the original motherboard without damaging the CPU and/or the CPU heat sink and fan assembly.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

It's three 1 second duration beeps, and given past experience with suffling memory sticks around and having the exact same thing happen, I think it might be my memory slots that are fried which I'm pretty sure takes the whole motherboard with it, so it looks like I'm stuck with suggestion #2.

My current financial situation with another semester of college starting up makes that a long term goal. I appreciate all your help, but it looks like you can't save me from shooting myself in the foot. When I'm up and running again, I'll let you know what happened.

I'm sure I could read between the lines,
    if only the lines themselves were a little clearer...

Yeah, I know what you mean about college making some things long-term goals.

Three long beeps means a base memory error. It's possible that your motherboard is fried, of course, but if you have the chance, you might try replacing the CMOS battery as in suggestion 1, above. Just to see if something that simple will fix the problem.

If suggestion 1 doesn't work as stated, the memory sticks you're using may be bad, not the slots or board. So, it would help if you could try the new battery with other memory sticks, preferably one in each of the two slots with white release tabs (slots #1 and #3). Any memory stick removal/installation should be done with the PC unplugged from the wall, of course.

Please do let me know what happens. And best of luck with college!
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Please forgive me for resurrecting this long dead thread, but I wanted to give Heimdall a long overdue update, if he remembers me at all:

I was never able to get that old system running again, but I received a nice, shiny new system for my birthday this year, so I can finally finish out the series (two Ages down already). The new system doesn't have nearly the same jitteryness the old one did, but vertical mouse movement still creates a less then smooth transistion when looking around regardless of mouse sensitivity. Still, it's perfectly adequate to play through. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated all your help, even if I did shoot myself in the foot, and I can now finally enjoy the end of the Myst series, if four years belated.

Thanks again for your help.

Hey, Heimdall has a very long memory and does remember you!

By this time, you must have graduated from college and let little brother out of that dark closet (with or without removing the duct tape).

Even a new machine is likely to have out-of date drivers installed, so have you updated your video, sound, AND mouse/touchpad drivers to the latest from their respective manufacturers? And hopefully the new PC came with a new mouse?
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

My little brother has indeed been released from the closet, but my mother still has need of the duct tape from time to time.

I had been led to believe that all drivers had been updated before the system was shipped to me, but on your prompting, I poked around and found that was not entirely true. Apparently, my mouse was using a generic HID driver instead of the proper Logitech driver. I have fixed that, and the movement is now much smoother.

I can now finish out the series in dignity.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(Said lawyers are reputed to eat their own young....) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    My thanks to you both for a very entertaining thread!
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

@MystNovice - great! Dignity is always preferable to the alternative(s).

@wstrohm - yer welcome! &lt; well, they ARE reputed to eat their own young...like hyenas, maybe? &gt;
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234