Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Disatisfaction | Forums

I have just recently got home with my copy of Lock-On - eagerly looking forward to some serious flying. Unfortunately it is the most buggy peice of S**T i have ever seem released by UBI. Did someone get all worked up about deadlines and release dates and force the public release of 'alpha' code?
    I have tried the software on two machines.
    A home made Giga-byte GA-8PENXP, Intel P4 3.2GHz (with HT), GB DDR, >500Gb disks, NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4200 (128Mb RAM) with AGP8X. The other machine is a Shuttle SS51G Barebones system with Intel P4 2.4GHz, 768Mb RAM, 120Gb Disk and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (64Mb Ram). (PS: for licencing reasons I did uninstall first LoL).
    Lock-On crashes the graphics (and game) - not just the planes - on both computers.

The operating systems are WinXP Pro with all the drivers, BIOS and patches that are availble to each system. This includes DirectX9 etc.

ALL other games work fine - these issues are limited to Lock-On.

This game is NOT fit for purpose and I would like my money back. I have the receipt (from PC World) dated 9th Jan 04.
    Do i have grounds for taking it back?
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have just recently got home with my copy of Lock-On - eagerly looking forward to some serious flying. Unfortunately it is the most buggy peice of S**T i have ever seem released by UBI. Did someone get all worked up about deadlines and release dates and force the public release of 'alpha' code?
    I have tried the software on two machines.
    A home made Giga-byte GA-8PENXP, Intel P4 3.2GHz (with HT), GB DDR, >500Gb disks, NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4200 (128Mb RAM) with AGP8X. The other machine is a Shuttle SS51G Barebones system with Intel P4 2.4GHz, 768Mb RAM, 120Gb Disk and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (64Mb Ram). (PS: for licencing reasons I did uninstall first LoL).
    Lock-On crashes the graphics (and game) - not just the planes - on both computers.

The operating systems are WinXP Pro with all the drivers, BIOS and patches that are availble to each system. This includes DirectX9 etc.

ALL other games work fine - these issues are limited to Lock-On.

This game is NOT fit for purpose and I would like my money back. I have the receipt (from PC World) dated 9th Jan 04.
    Do i have grounds for taking it back?
    Cheers

Hi,

So youve just bought the world leading combat sim and you say your not happy with it. Sorry to hear that. But, considering that youve only just got the game, I suggest that you maybe give it some more time ..and also sort out your hardware to be LockOn compatible, and then youll soon be raving about LockOn's awesomeness ..just like most of us, I reckon!

Best Rgds,

---

AthlonXP 1700
    Asus moboard
    Radeon 9600-Pro 128mb AGP video card
    512mb DDR ram
    Winxp pro (and Tweak-XP Pro)
    Maxtor 80 gig hd, 7,200
    Hansol 15" tft screen
    ..and a wee moose!

--

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience".
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

-

[This message was edited by Tinfish2003 on Sun January 11 2004 at 04:10 AM.]

Banned
    I am sure PC World will accept your copy back.

However, I think the problem is more likely to be the obsolete graphics cards you are using rather than the game. The spec of the first PC you describe is actually very good - except for the graphics card. I'm not even sure if the MX series of cards, as in your second PC, are directX 8.1 compatible and so might even be physically unable to run LO at all.

For good or ill, Lock On requires a modern graphics card. So if you want to be able to play graphics-intensive titles like LO, and other forthcoming games, it might be worth thinking of upgrading to something like a modern ATi card. The 9800 series are excellent and the non-Pro versions are reasonably affordable, the 9600 series are significantly cheaper. If you did want to upgrade to a modern card I would ask around in the forum here for other people's experiences and recommendations.

For what it's worth, my PC has a 2.4 GHz P4, 1 GB PC 2700 DDRRAM and a 128 MB 9700 Pro card. Lock On ran flawlessly out of the box and gives the most realistic scenes I have ever seen in a flight sim.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Before you start ****hging it off..did you Install the Patch !!! as that is meant to stop a lot of crashes etc..thast why its been brought out.

Also your Geforece MX isnt compatable..so I wouldnt try that PC

Just give it a bit of time..it,s only a case of tweaking it..it,s runs pretty well on my very outdates POS..soi should run great on yours ...as has been said loads of times it,s not a console game ..so will always have some hardware conflicts etc.

Wolf

POS 1 gig Athlon ,256mb sdram,Herculues 9800SE .

I grant you the MX 440 is a whole year old and it in technology terms getting long in the tooth. I am in the process of checking with ASUS to see if they (not that i don't doubt you all) think it should be compatible with DirectX 8.1 (and 9). I have already loaded the Lock-On patch (when I eventually found it) BEFORE getting frustrated enough to write my original message. I don't write messages only to get flamed by all those (very) lucky people who seem to have no issue at all with the game - If only I was one of them - it looks like it could be really great!
    I would like to re-itterate - ALL my other graphics intensive games (yes which also need 8.1 or 9 compatibilitiy) work perfectly - even on the coal fired MX440.
    Cheers,

I wouldnt waste time on the MX 440 card. Much as I enjoyed having this card on my PC last year, and although it would run Lock_on fairly well on my PC more recently, it wasnt till I upgraded to the Radeon-9600-pro, that the game really came alive for me. The point here is that LockOn is such a cutting-edge sim, that if you want to move on from your older flightsims and enjoy it to the max, then I reckon you'll need to upgrade to the 9600pro or higher, or the Nvidia equivalant, and then youll be flyin

--

I think it,s just the mx cards for some reason ..as my old radeon 7500 runs lock on great even though it,s an old card .

I cant think of anything else to say really ..I think it,s a case of tweaking about .

Sorry if you thought I was flaming you and I aplogise if I came across that way ..I,ve just got up :P

Anyhow ..I really hope you get it sorted as it does rock .I find end it all helps to get rid of all XP,s background crap !!

Wolf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theratbag:
    I grant you the MX 440 is a whole year old and it in technology terms getting long in the tooth. I am in the process of checking with ASUS to see if they (not that i don't doubt you all) think it should be compatible with DirectX 8.1 (and 9). I have already loaded the Lock-On patch (when I eventually found it) BEFORE getting frustrated enough to write my original message. I don't write messages only to get flamed by all those (very) lucky people who seem to have no issue at all with the game - If only I was one of them - it looks like it could be really great!
    I would like to re-itterate - ALL my other graphics intensive games (yes which also need 8.1 or 9 compatibilitiy) work perfectly - even on the coal fired MX440.
    Cheers,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we all can dream. Welcome to "LOMAC", the most taxing sim on the market. Just so you know, since it is glaringly clear that you missed this part. The developers have spoken regarding the dated MX440. The card is NOT Direct X 8.1 compliant and it is not designed to run LOMAC properly period.

I understand you are frustrated as are many others that own that card. However, there is ZERO excuse for you to come on this public board and attempt to flame the product as you did.

The developers have worked hard to bring us this product and have come here in support of it almost daily. Your disrespectful comment "Unfortunately it is the most buggy peice of S**T i have ever seem released by UBI" shows a tremendous lack of forthought in its nature.

Regarding grounds for taking it back? Well I see it more as grounds for updating your dated video card as the rest of your specs should be able to handle LOMAC, of course with some of the details lowered

http://sunstarentertainment.maddsite...2homepage.html
    -----------------------------
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power"
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

http://www.sunstarentertainmentinc.com/index.html
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to

Nothing to see here.

http://www.sunstarentertainmentinc.com/index.html
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast