Thread: HUD symbols | Forums

First post so please be gentle :-)

I am a complete greenhorn to combat sims, the last one I flew was DI's Tornado on Win 95 (or was it Win3.1) so am unfamiliar with some of the HUD symbols.

I have checked to forum and the various links in other posts but have not seen an answer to my questions.

I should state that at this stage I am still on the training section so have not yet applied the patch.

1) A10. What does the flashing thrust vector indicate? I thought it may have shown the plane was not in level flight or v/s was changing but that does not appear to be the case.

2)A10. With no weapons selected there is a very small cross in the HUD display. Sometimes it is near, or in, the thrust vector sysmbol, sometimes no where near it and sometimes completely missing.

3) Reading one the threads I now know what the diamond indicates but does the diamond with an 'X' in it (and I think above it) indicate?

4) Flaps confuse me. There is a keystroke for 'flaps toggle' and keystrokes for 'flaps down' and 'flaps up', what is the difference?
    Using a joystick button for flaps down/up as I do in MSFS the flaps fully extend/retract, they do not move in stages as in MSFS. Do the flaps in LOMAC only have full travel?

That's it for now guys and gals but I'm sure I will have more as I progress :-)

Is anyone using 'Shoot' or Flight Assistant to have voice activated commands rather than trying remember all the keystrokes or joystick buttons?

Thanks
    XH558
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

First post so please be gentle :-)

I am a complete greenhorn to combat sims, the last one I flew was DI's Tornado on Win 95 (or was it Win3.1) so am unfamiliar with some of the HUD symbols.

I have checked to forum and the various links in other posts but have not seen an answer to my questions.

I should state that at this stage I am still on the training section so have not yet applied the patch.

1) A10. What does the flashing thrust vector indicate? I thought it may have shown the plane was not in level flight or v/s was changing but that does not appear to be the case.

2)A10. With no weapons selected there is a very small cross in the HUD display. Sometimes it is near, or in, the thrust vector sysmbol, sometimes no where near it and sometimes completely missing.

3) Reading one the threads I now know what the diamond indicates but does the diamond with an 'X' in it (and I think above it) indicate?

4) Flaps confuse me. There is a keystroke for 'flaps toggle' and keystrokes for 'flaps down' and 'flaps up', what is the difference?
    Using a joystick button for flaps down/up as I do in MSFS the flaps fully extend/retract, they do not move in stages as in MSFS. Do the flaps in LOMAC only have full travel?

That's it for now guys and gals but I'm sure I will have more as I progress :-)

Is anyone using 'Shoot' or Flight Assistant to have voice activated commands rather than trying remember all the keystrokes or joystick buttons?

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xh558:

1) A10. What does the flashing thrust vector indicate? I thought it may have shown the plane was not in level flight or v/s was changing but that does not appear to be the case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you mean the velocity vector . If it flashes, it means it's outside the HUD field-of-view.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    2)A10. With no weapons selected there is a very small cross in the HUD display. Sometimes it is near, or in, the thrust vector sysmbol, sometimes no where near it and sometimes completely missing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's called the gun cross, it simply indicates where your nose is pointing. Look at the relation between this and the velocity vector to determine your slip and your angle of attack. (Basically, where your nose is pointing and where you're actually flying)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The diamond is a designated target and if there's an X on it, it means the target is outside the HUD field-of-view.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the reason for having both toggle and up/down keys is to provide different users with different keymap-/joystickmap solutions, according to each owns taste.
    Some aircraft have two-stage flaps (A-10, Su-25), some don't. (Su-27, Su-33, F-15, can't remember the MiG-29)

Hope that helps.

==================================

Marvin in hyperlobby

Think its only the Su-27 and Mig-29 that dont have 2 stage flaps... although thats not really on topic

/me runs

Many thanks for those answers olaleier -I'm getting there if rather slowly :-)
    XH558