Thread: SC1 Patches - Version Number Error (Solved!) | Forums

Spider-Bot | Splinter Cell Blacklist | Companion App

Fourth Echelon Economy 101 | Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Out of the Shadows - Splinter Cell Blacklist Dev Panel

J. Cole Trailer - Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Alright, I know this is a pretty popular subject that comes up on this forum...I've been searching through it for a while trying to find a solution to my problem.

So, every time I try to install any patch for SC1, above v1.2, I get the error: "Could not retrieve version number! Installation will be aborted."

Now I know you're going to tell me: "Don't use a cracked .exe." or "Buy the game you frickin' ******!" There's also the popular, "Copy the .exe from your disc, then it'll recognize the version number."

Those are all fine and dandy, but I bought SC1 off of Steam. So I don't have a disc. Therefore, cracking the game would be pointless. Also, every registry entry that would exist if I had the disc version is not in the registry since I bought the game off of Steam. I had to create my own installation path string and registry path to get past the first patch error saying that it couldn't find the installation path.

I'm guessing then that there is also a registry string that verifies the version number. I have Googled everything about it everywhere, even on translated pages, but to no avail.

Can someone help me?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Alright, I know this is a pretty popular subject that comes up on this forum...I've been searching through it for a while trying to find a solution to my problem.

So, every time I try to install any patch for SC1, above v1.2, I get the error: "Could not retrieve version number! Installation will be aborted."

Now I know you're going to tell me: "Don't use a cracked .exe." or "Buy the game you frickin' ******!" There's also the popular, "Copy the .exe from your disc, then it'll recognize the version number."

Those are all fine and dandy, but I bought SC1 off of Steam. So I don't have a disc. Therefore, cracking the game would be pointless. Also, every registry entry that would exist if I had the disc version is not in the registry since I bought the game off of Steam. I had to create my own installation path string and registry path to get past the first patch error saying that it couldn't find the installation path.

I'm guessing then that there is also a registry string that verifies the version number. I have Googled everything about it everywhere, even on translated pages, but to no avail.

Can someone help me?

I thought the Steam version was pre-patched to the latest... (Scratches chin) I'm sure it is.

Are you having issues that the patch should have fixed?
    Never play alone again. Join the Blackwidow Company today.

Well, I am trying to install the 1.3 patch with the extra maps. The Steam version does not include the extra maps.

At first, I was getting the error on the 1.3 patch: "Could not retrieve installation path! Installation will be aborted."

But then I Googled around and found how to add the installation path to the registry via regedit:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft Entertainment\SPLINTERCELL\InstalledPath=splinter cell directory"

Now if there is a string that verifies the version in the same registry path, that will probably solve my problems. But I can't find what the name for the string is and what parameters it contains for the version number.

If someone with the disc version knows anything about this, I would really appreciate the help.

-EDIT-
    The Steam version includes up to v1.2.

No real ideas but I am wondering what country you are in? The extra levels were, as far as I can remember, only for the USA version and was incompatable with versions in other countries. I could be wrong though.

-----------------------------------
    -EDIT (Once Again)-
    Last time I checked this thread, there were 41 views. Now there are 94. Are there seriously 53 people who can take the time to look at this topic, but too frickin' lazy to help 1 person who already has the solution and just needs help. All it would take is 5 minutes. If there is 1 person out of 53 people that is willing to help a guy out, I would really appreciate it.
    -----------------------------------

I am in the US. The only problem is I am running the Steam version of Splinter Cell 1.

As I have already said, the Steam version does not include the registry entries that would have been included if I was running the retail disc version.

If there is a registry entry that verifies the version number, that would solve my problem. I know what would solve my problem, I just need to be given the solution.

The registry entries have specific names and parameters that will only be recognized if they're those specific names. I've tried guessing, but I've not been able to figure it out.

I just need someone's help with the registry half.

I got DVD version of Splinter Cell (for EMEA regions) and readme.rtf on this disc says that it's prepatched up to version 1.2.

Funny thing - I got the same error when I tried to install patch 1.3 (No cracked EXEs - only original)

After many tries I found the solution -
    in my case all I had to do is to simply replace file SplinterCell.exe (Splinter Cell\system\SplinterCell.exe) with the same file from patch 1.3 (It's in SplinterCell13DVD.zip\SC_PATCH_1_3\DVD Patch 1\SplinterCell.exe (1 365 238 bytes))
    After that patch 1.3 installed successfully without any errors! So I think patch 1.3 verifies the size of the file SplinterCell.exe in /system directory.

My registry...
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft Entertainment]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft Entertainment\SPLINTERCELL]
    "ExeName"="SplinterCell.exe"
    "InstalledPath"="C:\\games\\Splinter Cell"
    "InstallType"="Full"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft Entertainment\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft Entertainment\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell\1.00.000]

I think some files will not be updated if you have Steam version of this game because of Steam-protection. So write in this topic if you have any errors.

Sorry for my english. I'm from Russia.

One question: how can I play additional maps? Where should I see them?

Thank you very much Vensdale!

You solved my problem. As for where to play the maps, I'm not sure yet (installing the patch right now). You might want to make another thread about that.

Glad to help you!

PS. A small gift from UbiSoft - file SplinterCell.exe (It's in SplinterCell13DVD.zip\SC_PATCH_1_3\DVD Patch 2\SplinterCell.exe) allows to play the game without the DVD inserted in DVD-Drive.

For all of you out there who have the Steam version of the game and can't install the patch and/or extra maps.

Here's the deal:

In order to install patch 1.3 and the maps for Steam, you'll have to add some things to the Registry.
    The problem when trying to install the patch is that it doesn't recognize the installation path. By changing (or creating) it on the Registry, makes it work.
    You have to create on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ the following key (the folder like thing):
    Ubi Soft Entertainment

Inside this key you'll have to create:
    SPLINTERCELL
    and
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

Inside Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell you then create 1.00.000

Now go back to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft Entertainment\SPLINTERCELL key and add the character strings of the table below:

Name............Value
    ExeName.........SplinterCell.exe
    InstalledPath...C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\splinter cell\system
    InstallType.....Full

Your registry should now look like somewhat like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    ..\SOFTWARE
    ....\SPLINTERCELL
    ........ExeName SplinterCell.exe
    ........InstalledPath C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\splinter cell\system
    ........InstallType Full
    ....\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
    .......\1.00.000

After this, then follow the instructions found on this link.
    Patch 1.3 - Help Look on the 8th post from top to bottom.

If you do everything right, then you'll be able to play the missions.
    They are very nice and worth of the trouble installing them.

Now it is time for some old-fashioned Splinter Cell Stealth action!!!