Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: NOO! Please tell me SH5 won't use Ubisoft's new DRM | Forums

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/th...ngdom/1063391p1.html
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/n...es-Everything-Online

I mean, what the heck is that supposed to be? Rental service? MMO? Seriously, there's no way I'll be buying any games from Ubi until that's dropped.

EDIT:
    Dropped or a patch allowing me to install and play offline is released after a certain period of time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/th...ngdom/1063391p1.html
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/n...es-Everything-Online

I mean, what the heck is that supposed to be? Rental service? MMO? Seriously, there's no way I'll be buying any games from Ubi until that's dropped.

EDIT:
    Dropped or a patch allowing me to install and play offline is released after a certain period of time.

This anti-piracy measure WILL NOT WORK and will only serve to hurt sales figures. I do love steam (a comparable service to what they are proposing), and use it for most of my games, but it does not stop piracy. Valve games that require steam to run (particularly the half-life series) are readily available on torrent sites in a hacked version that allows offline play without going through steam.

Sadly, it is my opinion that pirates will always find a way. Security measures only annoy the legitimate customers.

Communist penguin skipper elitist

December 8th 2009 I started a thread and asked if SH5 was going to be linked to Ubisofts new Uplay system and have yet to receive an official reply because they weren't prepared to discuss it yet...looks like this is the answer I had not been hoping for!!!!

Maverick

One of the Older Generation and Proud of it!!!
    Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.

When I go out a buy a game I expect it to work as a self loading unit.
    I do not want to have my PC always connected to the internet to play or have to log on to any site before I can play it.
    This will only encourage people to use illegal copies to get around this.
    I might go visiting friends so now I will have to say Oh I would like to play my sub game for a while is it ok to connect via your internet.
    Some don't have internet so I hope their next door neighbours are friendly
    what a load of crap this idea is.
    If they do decide to be as stupid as this and release SH5 with this protection on it then I will not buy it for any amount of money because what happens when the next version is released will Ubisoft stop supporting this version which will mean you will no longer be able to access your saved games. or if their server go's down you cant play also.
    We pay for the right to play the game at anytime we want and I always buy a disk produced by Ubisoft so why do they feel the need to impose crap like this on me. Piracy will happen no matter what steps they take so why upset the persons who play with a fully legal disks.
    Well they have lost my support on this issue unless this crap is removed they can stick it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AaD-Marine:
    so let me get this straight..

you guys have broadband which is connected 24/7.... but having to log into an account to launch the game completely cripples your ability to play a game?

also with the account based setup, it could alert you when a new patch is availible if any. this seems like the system relic used with Company of Heroes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pleased you can afford Internet but just remember that some cant they go to internet cafes or their local Library to see these pages and find out what's new
    so they wont be able to play will they ??.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaWolfU-57:
    When I go out a buy a game I expect it to work as a self loading unit.
    I do not want to have my PC always connected to the internet to play or have to log on to any site before I can play it.
    This will only encourage people to use illegal copies to get around this.
    I might go visiting friends so now I will have to say Oh I would like to play my sub game for a while is it ok to connect via your internet.
    Some don't have internet so I hope their next door neighbours are friendly
    what a load of crap this idea is.
    If they do decide to be as stupid as this and release SH5 with this protection on it then I will not buy it for any amount of money because what happens when the next version is released will Ubisoft stop supporting this version which will mean you will no longer be able to access your saved games. or if their server go's down you cant play also.
    We pay for the right to play the game at anytime we want and I always buy a disk produced by Ubisoft so why do they feel the need to impose crap like this on me. Piracy will happen no matter what steps they take so why upset the persons who play with a fully legal disks.
    Well they have lost my support on this issue unless this crap is removed they can stick it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For months now there has been an issue with their SH4 servers and they have still not come up with an answer....

Online Multiplayer Error

Your concerns are well justified!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit....Have just read another article which states the following about the online thing...

The new scheme will roll out with Settlers 7: Paths To A Kingdom, having been successfully tested in last year's Anno 1404.

That game doesn't officially release until 30th June 2010...so with SH5 releasing some three months earlier it may not be applied to it, but without some official comment who knows???

Maverick

One of the Older Generation and Proud of it!!!
    Intel Corei7 2600k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTX670 Graphics, 120GB SSD & 128 SSD with Windows 7, 1TB HDD.

On my Birthday I received an E-mail from Ubisoft offering me 30% off any title of my choice.
    So here is a option If this disk protection is to be included in SH5 how about offering all registered members a protection free version of the game.

Well, better canceling my pre-order at Amazon UK in the meantime.

I want to be sure what DRM they will use before buying.

Hmmmm........

I still play and enjoy some of the older Silent Hunter offerings; ....and this raises a question in my mind:

What happens when UBI decides to discontinue the on-line support for an Account-Linked DRM game??? .....And can we trust UBI to not end that support simply because they want to release a newer version?? (Silent Hunter 47: Searching the North Atlantic for More Money )

S.

Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast