Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exciting times | Forums

The frame for my new house arrives this week. The foundations will be put down any day now, as long as it doesn't rain again. Didn't I tell you all I'd break the drought?
    The good thing about the rain is all the horrible burrs are sprouting, so I've spent this morning poisoning an acre of weeds.
    While this is probably boring the pants of all of you, it is very exciting for me, and also means I will not be around as much as I'll be working as a builder's labourer.

__________________________________________________ _________
    Stop laughing, this is serious.

Stop laughing, this is serious
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Actual join date: December 27, 2001. *mutter mutter Stupid forum glitch*
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The frame for my new house arrives this week. The foundations will be put down any day now, as long as it doesn't rain again. Didn't I tell you all I'd break the drought?
    The good thing about the rain is all the horrible burrs are sprouting, so I've spent this morning poisoning an acre of weeds.
    While this is probably boring the pants of all of you, it is very exciting for me, and also means I will not be around as much as I'll be working as a builder's labourer.

between the city and the farm, Mid-Atlantic, USA
    Yay! I wish you the best of luck weather and housebuilding.

"Don't look before you leap. It'll ruin the surprise"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    Albert Einstein

Big question for you MM. Is this new house a stick built, precut, factory prefab, modular, or what else could there be? When you said the frames were coming it made me curious.

It has been a long time so I hope the weather cooperates for a few weeks.

Golly, a place for the kids and your own bedroom.

I pictured the walls and roof skeletons bing shipped in.

B'tsahv tsavahn, b'khen shoo f'mehros.

Vrekt val drashi kres vrekt kran vren vrekt.

It's what we call a kit home. The frame comes in modular sections and the roof trusses are prefab. The kit includes the cladding materials roofing iron, interior cladding, doors, windows, kitchen, bathroom et al.
    We just have to put it all together (should only take .... months!) and put in the electrics and plumbing.

Stop laughing, this is serious
    Actual join date: December 27, 2001. *mutter mutter Stupid forum glitch*

Kit homes can be very nice when finished. There are several companies in the states that will bundle a home to your own specs and others will make you stick closely to what they have in their catalog. One thing is the sweat equity that makes it less expensive and can be recovered in pride or a resale.

Good move.

Hey bob a lot houses these days are built with frames and trusses that are put together in a plant/factory and then shipped to the job site. And not just for kit or modular homes.
    When I worked for a lumbar yard mill shop back in the early '80s making window and door units (that's frame, trim, sill, with door/window all in one unit, the contractor then just pops the whole thing in the hole in the wall and it's done) they had a truss plant also. They could custom make any truss for any design, and then just ship it out with my window/door units (customised also if needed) to the job site and put it all together. Again, these were not for kit homes but for real built on site homes and buildings. Nor was there any drop in quality for these units. There was no real difference in what I did than what a carpenter would have done on-site, same materials and everything. Except, of course, costing the contractor less since it was less labor the contractor had to pay for.

They make prefab log houses too . Basically , they build the house , take it apart , marking everything , and then ship it out .

As for less labour ... how many of you have tried to put something together on Christmas Eve , that just need " some assembly " ?

Best of luck and wishs on your new house MM .

Canada , the country with three "eh"s .

``````````````````````````````
    I'm just living on a perfect day
    Riding on a perfect wave
    Waiting for the end to come

* Barlow " Prefect Wave "*

well MM I have walls and a roof. The plumber is there today. The floors should go down at the end of the week and then the internal walls after the sparkie has paid a visit.

It is moving along - albeit s l o w e l y

Life's tuff when you are a "misunderstood ferret"
    Life's tuff when you are a "misunderstood ferret"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast