Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game freezes at menu | Forums

I cannot see how permissions can prevent a mouse cursor from working correctly.

when I transfer the save games from my office computer (there the game works with my admin account, and ONLY with this account), including all the ini files in the save game folder to my home pc, the mouse curor is shown. Moving the mouse ends with the "hand" at the left screen. There I can move it up and down, but not to the left or right.

Really strange.

regards, johoe
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

joehoe, Oh, with how you described the problem. That is useful.

Try ALT+TAB and ALT+TAB to exit and re-enter the problem. If alt-tab doesn't drop you out of it use CONTROL+ESCAPE (CTRL+ESC) and then alt+tab back into the game. See if that makes the mouse reappear.

I made the mistake of reading this as "Game freezes at menu" and the read the description in that light.

Still see item #2 for a patch.

Also, to narrow down potential reasons for the problem give the following a whirl -- after trying the above:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you have the demo, do this, it's simple.

Copy and paste the game.dsc file from the "path_to_the_demo/bin/" to "path_to_the_full_game/bin/"

And now edit that file, and change the "full_screen ( true )" line to "full_screen ( false )"

Also, remove "demo" from the window title.

Seems that is working, but not officially supported.

This file is not present in my full installation, but seems that the game is still reading it.

If you don't have the demo, the game will succesfully start in windowed mode only creating a file called game.dsc in the bin folder where the game is installed with these contents.

"path_to_full_game/bin/game.dsc"

{graphic
    full_screen ( false )
    } <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know if that works.
    ---
    Consider this a disclaimer, unless otherwise stated.

I tried all these things before, and tried it again now, result: the game seems to work, only this f****** mouse pointer does not show up.

My only conclusions are, that this is not a hardware problem, because home and office pc's hardware are completly different. As I mentioned before office pc it runs perfect under my normal "admin" user account - any other account (existing ones, created new ones) fails.

I also would have thought the game freezes, but when I transfer the save game I can see this mouse cursor, just able to move it up and down on the left side of the screen. I don't have to load a game (I would not be able to, because of this mouse problem) - the "options.m4o" file is enough to make the mouse appear...

I reported this to support...

regards, johoe

Good to hear you reported it to support. I'm a bit confused as to what the problem is I guess.

The options.m4o file makes the mouse appear? This problem always happens on the system or only when transferring saved games?

etc...
    ---

Got 2 machines. First I installed the game at work. Run without a problem. Played a little, made a backup of my save game folder to take it home for having a nice gaming evening.

Installed the game on my second machine no problem. Run the game - no mouse. Installed some new graphic drivers, reinstalled DirectX - no go. I imported my saved game, started the game - mouse pointer showed up as supposed. Very happy I moved the mouse - this thing jumped to left side of the screen and stayed there, just able to move it up and down, not right or left.

The other day, back in the office I decided to play a little Myst instead of work:-), using my "gaming" user account to free up more ressources - started the game - no mouse! Switched back to my "admin" account - no problems. Tried to figure out the differences (user priviledges, services etc) - found no solution for the problem.

So I have never been able to play the game on my home pc - can play it at my office with the "admin" account only!

johoe

Thanks johoe -- that explains a lot more.

Sounds like an issue with the DirectInput interface. Can you verify for me which version of DirectX you have installed? Go ahead and reinstall the latest as a double check.

Also, what type of mouse do you have? Is it USB/PS2, what?

Thanks
    ---

hehe, I reinstalled directx 9c first of course.

Unplugged and uninstalled all mouse devices. Reinstalled a simple MS wheelmouse PS/2. Normal I'm using a logi mx1000 on USB. Tried to use the USB -> PS/2 adaptor.

None of these things helps.

On the office pc the game is working using the "admin" account, does not matter which mouse is installed and it is not working using any other user account and other mice, drivers etc...

ok maztec, here a new one:

two useraccounts at my machine:
    "joho" - do the regular work whith this
    "gamer" - gaming is done with this one
    both accounts are "admins"

logged on as "joho" - game runs with no problems. starting the game with "run as" gamer - no mouse.

logged on as "gamer" - game starts with no mouse. starting the game with "run as" joho - working perfect!

Only conclusion for me: no hardware or driver conflicts - just something wired with the user profiles maybe ...

no ideas left!! you?

Registry settings. Or something that doesn't carry between the different users.

Which user did you install the game with?

Check what all Myst IV related registry entries both suers have. All the same? Some different?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\*

Might also want to look in the HKLM\SYSTEM\ControllSet*'s for MYST stuff..

See if there is something differnet under HK_USERS\*

Dunno, probably something in there somewhere. Heck, my bet is it's as simple as who has full write access and all attributes access to the journals and MyDocuments folder that the game was installed under.
    ---

I've tried every user, admin, root admin, nothing works here. I've checked the security settings and added "everyone" full access to the folders, still no mouse cursor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast