Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game freezes at menu | Forums

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By submitting a report to Ubi you will help aid them in recreating the problem so they can in turn create a solution for it in an upcoming patch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

support should already be on it since 13th of august:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Srikandi
    Moderator &
    Community
    Assistant

posted Fri August 13 2004 16:15
    I can't help, but I've summoned our tech mods over from the Uru forums... hopefully they can give some advice.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y...=758106306&p=1

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

13th of august~!!! that's 2 months ago...

tip: next time get some beta-testers before releasing a game.

i'm off... checking again to see if this bug is fixed the moment the game is low-priced.
    ================================================== ==============

"Where there's always music in the air..."

KI Atrus: 00832899 Log Lady [R.I.P.]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

LiquidTV, once again this is a different problem than you were originally observing.

Once again you don't even have the game yet. So you don't know if you're still affected by this problem or not.

And I am working on getting them to release an updated version of the Demo.

And, I am a volunteer, stop being a pain in my side.
    ---
    Consider this a disclaimer, unless otherwise stated.

@LiquidTV: support told me, that they never heard about this problem before I reported it to them.

they have no solution, support reported it to development team.

johoe

Well I hate to resurrect a long-dead thread, but I just bought the game and am having the same problem. I was hoping that it would be resolved in the full version (I had the issue in the demo) but it's still there, annoying as ever.

I've tried everything in this thread, even reinstalling my mouse to just vanilla windows drivers, but nothing works. I'm currently 40$ out on a game I can't play

Hi all,

I'm havng exactly the same problem. The game worked perfectly on my system until I had a harddisk crash. I managed to make a copy of the save files. I installed a new harddisk and reinstalled the system. When I installed Myst 4 again I had no cursor in the startup screen. After copying my old save files I got the cursor but like with johoe. It is only moving up and down at the left side of the screen.

Even with patch 1.3 I have this problem. Has this been solved ?

Suggestions, to do in the order shown:

1. Use your anti-virus software to do a complete virus scan of your hard disk, not just the bootup quickie.

2. Do complete spyware and adware scans of your hard disk, not just the bootup quickies. I use and recommend:
    -- Spybot - Search & Destroy
    -- Ad-aware SE

Both have free versions!

3. Clear your Internet Explorer caches.
    -- a. Close all open applications.
    -- b. Open a single Internet Explorer session.
    -- c. Click on Tools > Internet Options.
    -- d. Click on Delete Cookies > OK.
    -- e. Click on Delete Files (check the 'Delete all offline content' box) > OK.
    -- f. Click on Clear History > Yes.
    -- g. Click on OK to exit.
    -- h. Start Revelation.

4. Use Windows Explorer to search your hard disk for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders, and delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.
    -- a. Click on Tools > Find > Files or Folders.
    -- b. Type temp or tmp or temporary in the Named: box.
    -- c. Click on the arrow at the right end of the Look in: box and then click on the disk drive to be searched.
    -- d. Click on Find Now to start the search.
    -- e. Click on the temp (or tmp or temporary) folders found to open them.
    -- f. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.
    -- g. Close Windows Explorer, and start Revelation.

5. Install the latest driver for your video chipset. Download the driver from your PC manufacturer's website, from the ATI website, or from the NVIDIA website.
    -- a. Before installing the video driver, install or re-install DirectX 9.0c, available here, and reboot.
    -- b. Disable your virus protection software before installing DirectX and the new video driver.
    -- c. Before installing the new driver, especially if it's an NVIDIA driver, uninstall the current driver:
    ----- 1. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    ----- 2. In the programs list, find the current driver and click on it to select.
    ----- 3. Click on Add/Remove....
    ----- 4. When the removal process is complete, close Control Panel back to the Desktop.
    ----- 5. Reboot, and select 'Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)' when the Wizard asks which hardware to install a driver for.
    ----- 6. Reboot, then install the new driver.
    ----- 7. Reboot when the installation process is complete.

If you don't know exactly which video chipset you have, run DxDiag and save the results in a DxDiag.txt file. Then, look in that file under 'Display Devices - Card name:'. (See [Posting Guidelines] Help! I'm Having Technical Problems and I Don't Know Why!?! under To post a DxDiag report for a how-to).

6. Download and install the latest driver for your mouse.

7. Do a complete/full Revelation re-install, from a clean boot and to a User Account with full privileges. First, uninstall Revelation using Control Panel's Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs.
    -- a. Copy the Program Files Revelation \save folder or the \My Documents\myst4-revelation savegames folder to another location on your hard disk.
    -- b. Remove Revelation.
    ----- 1. Click on Start > Control Panel, then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    ----- 2. In the Currently installed programs box, click on the Myst IV - Revelation entry.
    ----- 3. Click on Change (or Change/Remove).
    ----- 4. If prompted to confirm the removal of the program, click Yes.
    ----- 5. Close Control Panel back to the Desktop.
    -- c. Use Windows Explorer to remove any remaining Program Files Revelation files and folders. For example, if it exists, delete the folder "\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation" in "C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation".
    -- d. Reboot, and log into Windows with full Administrator privileges..

Then, do a complete/full Revelation re-install, to a User Account with full privileges:
    -- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges.
    -- b. If you didn't do so above, use Windows Explorer to search all drives for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.
    -- c. Click Start > Run.
    -- d. Type msconfig in the Open box, then click on OK.
    -- e. Click on Selective Startup on the General tab.
    -- f. Under Selective Startup, clear the check boxes for:
    ----- 1. Process SYSTEM.INI File
    ----- 2. Process WIN.INI File
    ----- 3. Load Startup Items
    -- g. On the Services tab, click the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, then click Disable All.
    -- h. Click on OK, and then click on Restart.
    -- i. Using Start > Run, install Revelation, accepting the defaults for a complete install.
    -- j. Restore the settings you changed in steps c. through h.
    ----- 1. Click Start > Run.
    ----- 2. Type msconfig in the Open box, then click on OK.
    ----- 3. Click on Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services on the General tab.
    ----- 4. Click on OK, and then click on Restart to reboot into normal Windows.
    -- k. Copy the saved \save folder to its proper place in the Revelation Program Files or \myst4-revelation savegames to the \My Documents folder.
    -- l. Play Revelation. If the game doesn't play properly, install the patches.

8. Re-install the Revelation patches, both available here.

9. You may have processes or applications running in the background that are interfering with Revelation. Use Windows Task Manager to close everything except for Explorer.exe, Ctfmon.exe, and whatever your hardware needs before starting Revelation:
    -- a. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del once and then click on Task Manager.
    -- b. Select the Applications tab.
    -- c. Click on the desired application to highlight it.
    -- d. Click on the End Task button at the bottom of the tab.
    -- e. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary applications and processes are closed. If you aren't sure which background processes or applications can be closed using Task Manager, check out the AnswersThatWork Task List Programs index. The most common tasks are described, and which ones are essential and which can be safely closed are noted.
    -- f. Play Revelation.

Heimdall

I searched for years for a satisfactory solution for the disappearing cursor issue. In the end, it has to do with the default DCOM security permissions that were changed as of XP Service Pack 2. This MS article explains the registry changes made that you can roll back to their prior settings, on XP or Win7.

This makes Myst IV work perfectly, with no need to install in one user and then create another, etc (fixes that never worked for me, btw.)

Because this decreases security on your machine, you might want to restore the default settings when not gaming. In my case I installed XP in a virtual machine supporting DirectX and play on that compromised yet sandboxed environment.

I just enjoyed the intro video for the first time in years, so no time to write up a guide for you just now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123