Thread: Youtubers - Gamers Must Take Action | Forums

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 3

Assassin?s Creed Unity Arno Master Assassin CG Trailer [US]

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 2

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 1

I'm sure some of you have seen this. I'm a part of a few activist emailing lists, one of them being gaming related.

There's legislation that can potentially crush a lot of gamers who stream, record gaming videos, etc etc etc. This can easily grow to even other stuff such as playing covers of other peoples' songs, creating music videos for songs, etc.

"The United States Senate has recently introduced S. 978. The legislation, if passed, would impose stricter copyright laws and penalties when it comes to streaming, playing or reproducing copyrighted material including up to 5 years in jail. When I live stream a speed trial online, the only record I want involved is how fast I completed the game, not one that involves jail and fines.

This law is vague, leaving it to the whim of copyright holders to determine what to prosecute and what to ignore. Write to your Senator and tell them this will turn average Americans into potential criminals.

A child playing piano of their favorite performer on Youtube, a video of a child dancing to their favorite songs and video game players showing off walk-throughs, speed trials and live streaming their games are all examples of acts that could be prosecutable under this legislation. It’s ridiculous and an example of legislation that’s not fully thought through. Take 30 seconds and write to your Senator today and tell them to vote NO.

Happy gaming."

Links:

http://action.theeca.com/p/dia...lic/?action_KEY=4444 <--- Take action.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/text <--- The bill.

If the link to the bill expires, you can always use the power of the Google to learn more about it.

Also, I find it amusing that when typing it into Google, it quickly suggested "Bill S. Preston" at the top of the list.

Originator of Walking the Dinosaur in MP.
    Never thought so many good players would turn out to be terrible!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I'm sure some of you have seen this. I'm a part of a few activist emailing lists, one of them being gaming related.

There's legislation that can potentially crush a lot of gamers who stream, record gaming videos, etc etc etc. This can easily grow to even other stuff such as playing covers of other peoples' songs, creating music videos for songs, etc.

"The United States Senate has recently introduced S. 978. The legislation, if passed, would impose stricter copyright laws and penalties when it comes to streaming, playing or reproducing copyrighted material including up to 5 years in jail. When I live stream a speed trial online, the only record I want involved is how fast I completed the game, not one that involves jail and fines.

This law is vague, leaving it to the whim of copyright holders to determine what to prosecute and what to ignore. Write to your Senator and tell them this will turn average Americans into potential criminals.

A child playing piano of their favorite performer on Youtube, a video of a child dancing to their favorite songs and video game players showing off walk-throughs, speed trials and live streaming their games are all examples of acts that could be prosecutable under this legislation. It’s ridiculous and an example of legislation that’s not fully thought through. Take 30 seconds and write to your Senator today and tell them to vote NO.

Happy gaming."

Links:

http://action.theeca.com/p/dia...lic/?action_KEY=4444 &lt;--- Take action.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/text &lt;--- The bill.

If the link to the bill expires, you can always use the power of the Google to learn more about it.

Also, I find it amusing that when typing it into Google, it quickly suggested "Bill S. Preston" at the top of the list.

Banned
    Isn't this old? and Gaming didn't get affected by this... I think

Depends on your definition of old. It hasn't been passed or canned yet (as far as I know) but I thought I'd call attention to it.

It gives leeway to affect gaming, while not naming it directly. Also, even with gaming aside, it's still a really bad bill.