Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is effected by this filter.... | Forums

The WHO data shows that roughly 50,000,000 people world wide have epilepsy. Of those cases, they estimate that more than 90% are located in the DEVELOPING world. So, 5,000,000 cases are in the DEVELOPED world. Of all cases of epilepsy, less than 3% are effected by light induced siezures. So, 150,000 people of all ages, languages, and locations have the rare type of epilepsy that would be effected by this problem. What % of that 150,000 are in the IL2 demographic? 1/3rd maybe? So 50,000 people scattered all over the world. What % of that 50,000 actually are gamers? Lets be generous and say 25%. So thats 12,500. Of that population, who would be in the market for a high end flight Sim... say 10%? Thats 1250 people scattered all over the worl who might be of the right age, be gamers, and be flight simmers..

Everyone of those 1250 potential people would already know if they would get these siezures because IL2 1946 is also a flight sim, and it is loaded with the same siezure inducing effects.. Do you remember the massive outcry from all the siezure victims when IL2 was first released??? Of course you don't, because people with that very rare form of epilepsy do not play games, and they certainly don't play flight sims. They can't even watch TV or be around flourescent bulbs that are gettng older...

Flight sims by their very nature are LOADED with effects that would potentially stimulate a siezure in a person who had this rare for of epilepsy. They didn't play them before, and they aren't going to play them later.

This same test if applied to the original IL2 would also FAIL spectacularly.. Its simply that everything that makes a flight sim a great visual experience, fall into the category that can fail this test..

Ubisoft accepted these RECOMMENDED standards in 2008.. they are not mandated to do so..they chose to probably for the free press in the Uk where this originated. They do not have to force this on this game, they CHOSE to..

The game is being gutted and despite a clear misunderstanding by many people..when the "filter" is removed, the game left behind will NOT be the game that was there 3 months ago..
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The WHO data shows that roughly 50,000,000 people world wide have epilepsy. Of those cases, they estimate that more than 90% are located in the DEVELOPING world. So, 5,000,000 cases are in the DEVELOPED world. Of all cases of epilepsy, less than 3% are effected by light induced siezures. So, 150,000 people of all ages, languages, and locations have the rare type of epilepsy that would be effected by this problem. What % of that 150,000 are in the IL2 demographic? 1/3rd maybe? So 50,000 people scattered all over the world. What % of that 50,000 actually are gamers? Lets be generous and say 25%. So thats 12,500. Of that population, who would be in the market for a high end flight Sim... say 10%? Thats 1250 people scattered all over the worl who might be of the right age, be gamers, and be flight simmers..

Everyone of those 1250 potential people would already know if they would get these siezures because IL2 1946 is also a flight sim, and it is loaded with the same siezure inducing effects.. Do you remember the massive outcry from all the siezure victims when IL2 was first released??? Of course you don't, because people with that very rare form of epilepsy do not play games, and they certainly don't play flight sims. They can't even watch TV or be around flourescent bulbs that are gettng older...

Flight sims by their very nature are LOADED with effects that would potentially stimulate a siezure in a person who had this rare for of epilepsy. They didn't play them before, and they aren't going to play them later.

This same test if applied to the original IL2 would also FAIL spectacularly.. Its simply that everything that makes a flight sim a great visual experience, fall into the category that can fail this test..

Ubisoft accepted these RECOMMENDED standards in 2008.. they are not mandated to do so..they chose to probably for the free press in the Uk where this originated. They do not have to force this on this game, they CHOSE to..

The game is being gutted and despite a clear misunderstanding by many people..when the "filter" is removed, the game left behind will NOT be the game that was there 3 months ago..

By the way WHO is the World Health Organization.. I took the data on the %'s from their website..

You are most likely right with your assumption that there are very few people effected by this form of epilepsy, you could also consider that more women than men suffer from it as another reduction in the total though likely a small one.
    But isnt the problem more a fact that some people with no prior history of PSE may first experience a seizure while playing a video game. Often the sensitivity is very specific, e.g., it may be a specific scene in a specific game that causes seizures, and not any other scenes. This may be where the fear of litigation arises, rather than known sufferers having seizures while playing IL2 COD.

Just trying to see both sides of this problem

Epileptic seizures can pop out of nowhere. I see your point, briyeo, but we can't run around minimizing every little thing that may or may not cause an epileptic reaction. This is a flightsim, how many latent epileptics plays flightsims compared to watching TV, for example?

If someone are diagnosed with Epilepsy, that's too bad, but if you have latent epilepsy there are millions of other influences out there that can cause a seizure. Implementing it to a small niche game like this is wiping your *** before you crap IMHO.

You also need to realize that people are FAR more likely to have one of these from watching TV than they are a video game.. And, the previous IL2 would also fail the test..they just didn't have to comply because Ubi adopted this policy after they released the game (long after)

If Ubi is that afraid to release products in the scary world of litigation, then they shold move on to other endevours.. This game and all the work that went into it are going to be wasted..and the $$$ that this should have generated is going to be cut by 90% when the reviews come out and the product is in "Beta" form at best..

If I fall down and hurt myself in my house after reading this forum I'm going to sue UBI. Where's the forum filter?

I'm a PC gamer. Any comments I make that don't specifically state a platform you can bet I'm referring to PC.
    3Sqn Forums
    [url=http://teambsr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG14_Jagr:
    By the way WHO is the World Health Organization.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In answer to this question, the World Health Organisation is the coordinating authority for health within the United Nations.

I have epilepsy have been seizure free for years now and have been flying and gaming for years as well and not a peep from any computer related activity?? Although sometimes on the old cathode ray tube tv's when showing rotating helicopter blades I couldn't watch as it made me think that my head was being cut-off just above my eyes, now with flat screen technology no such problems at all!!

The epilepsy thing is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Shall we also ban night clubs and everything thing else because of epilepsy? Why the hell do we have to suffer because someone isn't sensible enough to stay away from a computer game because they have a condition? I think people should start to email Ubi to have this filter available to switch on or off ingame, or tell them you want your money back like I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast