Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: How do you clean your electronics? | Forums

Since we probably have a lot of electronic gadgets, gaming gizmos, and gorgeous screens between the lot of us, I figured one or two of you all might have an opinion about cleaning your gear.

What kinds of cleaning agents or techniques do you use? I do basic dusting with a tiny bit of all purpose cleaner, but I have to admit that I get paranoid about using just regular old stuff on my precious electronic equipment. Is Windex ok for my glass-paned plasma screen? Is all-purpose cleaner OK to use on all my lovely plastic casings? Are there any cleaning products I should definitely NOT use unless I want to melt things?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Since we probably have a lot of electronic gadgets, gaming gizmos, and gorgeous screens between the lot of us, I figured one or two of you all might have an opinion about cleaning your gear.

What kinds of cleaning agents or techniques do you use? I do basic dusting with a tiny bit of all purpose cleaner, but I have to admit that I get paranoid about using just regular old stuff on my precious electronic equipment. Is Windex ok for my glass-paned plasma screen? Is all-purpose cleaner OK to use on all my lovely plastic casings? Are there any cleaning products I should definitely NOT use unless I want to melt things?

Banned
    I don't clean my electronics. I like to let the dust accumulate then I'm good for taking a lick...

Avoid anything with alcohol or ammonia. I actually use Wal-Mart's Eyeglass Cleaner. I buy the small bottle for $1.99 and it comes with free refills. I use it for both my glasses and screens for my monitor and LCD TVs. You can also use a Swiffer Duster on everything.

Swiffers, compressed air and TV/monitor cleaners and if TV cleaner isn't available, a little soap and water. Don't use paper towels or anything rough on your screens and stay away from Windex and stuff like that.

Here is how i do it:

All screens gets cleaned with a wet soft-piece of cloth (just water) after removing dust with soft-brush (so dust do not scratch the surface) and then another dry soft-piece of cloth for the final touch.

Same for the body of all devices and again i use only water if necessary.

As for the inside (depends on the device) i use a blower to clean it, then a soft-brush to remove any remaining dust (carefully).
    STEAM // RAPTR // FACEBOOK // Rasoulallah // I Love This Forum. <3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rhoulette:

What kinds of cleaning agents or techniques do you use? I do basic dusting with a tiny bit of all purpose cleaner, but I have to admit that I get paranoid about using just regular old stuff on my precious electronic equipment. Is Windex ok for my glass-paned plasma screen? Is all-purpose cleaner OK to use on all my lovely plastic casings? Are there any cleaning products I should definitely NOT use unless I want to melt things? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't use Windex on plasma ... there are special cleaners which are not expensive .. better to use those. I would be concerned about use anything containing abrasives as these will etch the screens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
    Avoid anything with alcohol or ammonia. I actually use Wal-Mart's Eyeglass Cleaner. I buy the small bottle for $1.99 and it comes with free refills. I use it for both my glasses and screens for my monitor and LCD TVs. You can also use a Swiffer Duster on everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great idea! I never thought about using eye glass cleaner on my monitors and LCD TV. I am definitely going to try it.

I mostly just dust my electronics and sometimes if needed I will take a Clorox wipe to my PS3 and/or Xbox 360.

As for cleaning my keyboard, I use canned air works like a charm!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phoenix_FD:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
    Avoid anything with alcohol or ammonia. I actually use Wal-Mart's Eyeglass Cleaner. I buy the small bottle for $1.99 and it comes with free refills. I use it for both my glasses and screens for my monitor and LCD TVs. You can also use a Swiffer Duster on everything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great idea! I never thought about using eye glass cleaner on my monitors and LCD TV. I am definitely going to try it.

I mostly just dust my electronics and sometimes if needed I will take a Clorox wipe to my PS3 and/or Xbox 360.

As for cleaning my keyboard, I use canned air works like a charm! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot to mention the microfiber cleaning cloth, it's great.

Never use Windex to clean your TVs/Monitors because the chemicals in it will dissolve the anti-glare coating applied to most TV screens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast