Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complaint: Ineffective and Draconian DRM | Forums

When will games companies like UBIsoft realise that harsh draconian DRM like that in Settlers 7 is 100% ineffective at preventing piracy (it was cracked fairly quickly after the game launched), but at the same time is 100% effective at targeting and harassing people who actually pay for the game.

All the time, it's the pirates who get the better experience. They get a completely free game without unreasonable restrictions, while those that pay for it have to put up with the crappy malware that is the DRM software.

Sigh....

Consider me another one that will never buy games with harsh DRM such as this...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Simple just dont buy it really. In the end UBI loose out and you dont have DRM.

I have refused to buy settlers 7 due to it, there loss really as i loved settlers

Originally posted by hiswitzend1969:
    Simple just dont buy it really. In the end UBI loose out and you dont have DRM.

I have refused to buy settlers 7 due to it, there loss really as i loved settlers
    that pretty much mirrors my opinion to be honest. it's just a shame every fan of the series doesn't make the same stand against being mistreated this way.

if every fan of the settler games, not to mention the other titles ubi pump out actually stood by their convictions and refused to buy anything with this DRM, it would have been dropped a long time ago.

as it is now, the people who are buying ubisoft products knowing that it is infected with restrictive DRM, they are the ones who are validating this unacceptable behaviour.

You don't think that not buying the game will just convince them to dropthe series? Or BB? If their games don't sell. Assassins Creed is selling like warm bread, so Settlers 7 NOT selling must mean that the series is dead?

Originally posted by Voight-Kampff:
    You don't think that not buying the game will just convince them to dropthe series? Or BB? If their games don't sell. Assassins Creed is selling like warm bread, so Settlers 7 NOT selling must mean that the series is dead?
    no it won't convince them to do anything of the sort.

they can't afford to drop every game that is underselling due to being infected with restrictive DRM, and they can't hold their heads above water by relying on the sales of one title.

IF people boycotted every game that is DRM infected, they would be wounded past the point where they would HAVE to sit up and respond, no matter how many copies assassins creed was selling.

poor sales numbers doesn't mean that a series is dead, poor sales numbers is the gaaming public voicing their disdain by keeping their money in their wallets.

if you go through the player reviews on many online store sites, you will generally see poor ratings, not because of the games themselves, but because of what comes with it to allegedly stamp out "piracy"

to be successful publisher in the gaming industry, you need to cater for gamers acrosss the board, not just supply games for a certain niché market. if you start dropping talented developer studios that are creating titles that have the potential to be huge just because they are underselling through no fault of their own, you are signing your own death warrant.

I didn't buy the game for a long time because of the DRM, but when they brought out the Gold edition with all the free DLC & I just couldn't resist it because it is such a great game and one of the very few games that I keep coming back to time and time again.

I guess I'm not helping the cause, but then again this game has been out ages and they still show no sign of removing DRM.

They would have made more money out of me though if the game was released without DRM because I'd have bought it on Day 1 and bought all the DLC too!

This game has been out for over a year now. I hear the other games with the same DRM, like assassins creed 2 that I had no interest in, have had it removed already by unisoft. (not calling AC1 a bad game just saying it didn't fit what I want in a game so I didn't want AC2)

Is there even a point to leaving the DRM on a nitch game like this after a year? Over a year past it's release unless it made some cult status I never heard of and can't find it pretty much made every sale it's going to make. Taking the DRM off wouldn't cost them any sales and maybe a few people like me who didn't buy it because of the DRM would step up and buy a copy. It would stop the need to keep servers for it up also. (At least it's always been my understanding that after a certain time period there is a pretty sharp dropoff on the sales of a game and settlers 7 is well past that time period)

I just find it frustriating because I'm a fan of the series and I was looking forward to the game but I refuse to play the game until the DRM is taken off and every time I look and see the DRM is still there I grumble and complain on the inside.

The second the DRM is off I'm not the only one ubisoft sold a copy to.

I'm sure it's an awesome game but a release like this a year off if they expect to get a burst of sales the only crowd left that hadn't paid for it is the people like me who see the DRM and go "meh"

Over a year in the only other buyers they may get are little trickles when there is a steam sale or someone sees it in a bargin bin from people who aren't really interested but will give it a shot while it's cheap. I doubt DRM effects them either way.

I don't agree with the silly DRM but bought it all the same to support BB.

Originally posted by evilsooty999:
    I don't agree with the silly DRM but bought it all the same to support BB.
    that's all very well and good, but in making the purchase to support BB, you are also making a statement to ubisoft that you not only also support them and their DRM, but you also support the way they are mistreating their law abiding customers.

as for the DRM itself, there is absolutely no reason for it to still be infecting this game series, or any others that are blighted by it.

the whole system was bypassed a long time ago, so it is and has been obsolete for nearly a year (well, for the reasons they claim it's there anyway)

I suppose I haven't had any issues with the DRM...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast