Thread: Torpedo Range | Forums

In 1939, the max range of different torpedoes was 6000M at 44 knots, 10,000M at 40 knots, 20,000M at 30 knots. How do I get that kind of range in Silent Hunter3?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

In 1939, the max range of different torpedoes was 6000M at 44 knots, 10,000M at 40 knots, 20,000M at 30 knots. How do I get that kind of range in Silent Hunter3?

use the speed setting on your TDC. Slow(long range) med(medieum range) and fast(short range). But its a bad idea to fire a fish at a target more then 4-5,000 meters away anyway. Unless you are using eletric fish. Then its one speed one range.
    LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF ALL WHO THREATEN IT.

The secret is to get in close to your target when attacking submerged. Targets at a good distance i.e +1000 meters away can be harder to hit, as any last second course deviation by the target will guarantee a miss, and a longer torpedo run can increase the likely hood of the torpedo failing by premature detonation, which can happen quite often even at shorter torpedo runs.

Personally I always engage targets within the 1000m distance, if I can help it I prefer to attack from a range between the arming distance of 300m to a max distance of 500m (I always add an extra 50 meters to the arming distance of 300m so in effect I engage a targets of no less than 350 meters).

My theory on the range is that G7eT3a torpedo was supposed to be a zig zag running torpedo. With a range of 7.5km at 30knots. If it were fired into a convoy it should hit something eventially