Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riven Rules | Forums

Just finished Riven for the umpteenth time. Will there ever be any video game again that good?
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I remember your help from the nineties--thanks! I just got the 1-disc Riven and played the game again, only had to retrace twice. But when I got to the finish, the LAST move, the button on the telescope, would not cause the telescope to come down, so I could not see the endgame. Very disappointing! I bought a 2nd hand vetted Mac G5 so I could play the series. I'm thinking of either replaying my copy to see whether it's bugged, or buying a new copy. I'd appreciate your thoughts--thanks, Ladygray

Maybe you didn't see the 'stop' which prevents the telescope from breaking the glass. Look at the left track in which the scope moves, down and to your left. There is a clickable handle for the stop. To break the glass that stop has to be moved out of the way.

Yes, I removed the stop, then looked at the viewfinder, then opened the hatch cover, then brought the handle above the button down, then pushed the button numerous times. As I'm 75 (good grief!!) I follow more than one walkthrough, and other than going back to a couple of previous saves, have had no problems solving the puzzles as I played. What is weird is that the hatch looks as though the glass has already been broken; I just see black with a small blue area "down" the hatch. I didn't go near the telescope when I was released from the jail at the very beginning of the game, or at any other time, not that I would have been able to, until the endgame. Thanks so much for your quick response--as I said in my first post, do you think I should replay the game, or buy a new copy? It's such a wonderful game I just can't believe I can't get to the finish, even though I know the outcome.

By the way, my kids bought me one of the limited series, almost full size Yodas, and he's my office manager. Wish I could teach him to pay my bills.

ladygray14,

I didn't follow your last post (Yoda?!?) but it sounds as if maybe in the Riven game, the last movie failed to play. If you did in fact break the glass, the rest of the game is a QT movie... Atrus shows up, then Catherine, etc. Possibly there is a film or defect on the DVD; have you tried cleaning it with 70% or 91% isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth (wiping from center to outside) and then gently drying it?

A quote from the Steve Metzler (aka ex-Metzomagic from ex-Quandaryland)
    There's a stop pin there (which Catherine hinted at in her journal)! Flip it upwards. Then use the combination which you also found in Catherine's journal to open the portal underneath the device (Note: a '2' in the combination would represent the second button from the left on the portal). Flip the lever on the right downwards, then keep hitting the button until the device shatters the glass that protects The Star Fissure.
    http://www.the-spoiler.com/ADV...en.2/rivenwt.htm#iwe

P.S.
    Maybe you will need the 1.01 patch. You will find the link to the patch at the top of his walkthrough... Tips section.

The 1.02 patch is also available in this Heimdall's post...
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...881015525#2881015525

Or, just a thought, did you activate the steam lever in the cave that you access by using the rotating room? The one that powers the telescope? No steam, and the telescope won't move.

Hope this helps. Dave

Westrohm--my mention about Yoda was prompted by the Yoda quote below your 1st post to me--"Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING!" Maybe it's not a quote you use but rather one the Forum puts in from time to time.
    And thanks, all, I will try your suggestions tomorrow. But wouldn't the patch have been put into the one-disc version?
    I am so psyched that y'all are still active in the Forum and must love the Myst games as I do.

B4 bothering installing the patch make certain you have steam pressure as per above Dave_McB's advice.

Edited with image of the steam valve.

Btw, Steve has a lot of stuff on his site. (like old games walkthroughs)...
    http://www.metzomagic.com/home.php

Check his review for the new "Gray Matter" game
    http://www.metzomagic.com/showArticle.php?index=866

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast