Thread: MB upgrade = repurchase Windows ? | Forums

Just stumbled across this - I assume it means for "new", "this is the 1st time THIS copy of Windows has ever been installed" - but I suppose I should go back and re-read my license - I don't think it contains language allowing MS to change the rules later - but
    ************* New MB = new windows license

"Microsoft recently made changes to the license agreement. A new motherboard is now apparently the equal of a new computer, and if you upgrade it you need to purchase a new Windows license. Microsoft’s new policy states: An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

motherboard upgrade Microsoft license policy OEM operating system software Windows license

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that Microsoft needs to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.

Microsoft has sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy every time they upgrade a computer for a client.
    "
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Perhaps a new mobd equals a new PC. But if you are transferring the OS from one to the another (and thus not using it anymore on the old PC) I don't see the problem.

It will probably require calling MS to activate Windoze, but I've never had a problem with this.

If they are going to institute a way such that you can only activate a single copy once and never "re-install" it (like to upgrade a harddrive or transfer it to a different PC) then they are only going to push us all to Linux even faster.

Hmmm... when is Linux version of FB+AEP+PF coming out??
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat MS-7025 VER: 1 BIOS 1.D
    AMD A64 X2 4400
    2 x G.Skill 1GB PC4000
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP w ATI Omega xp2k 48442 6.14.0010.6764
    Creative SB X-Fi Audio [9C00] 5.12.0001.1187
    Antec TP2-550 EPS 550W

This only applies to OEM copies of Windows. OEM licenses were never transferable to a new computer, Microsoft is just defining what constitutes a new computer.

If you have a retail copy, then your free to install it as many times, on as many machines as you like, so long as it's only on one machine at a time.

This new policy is mostly going to effect computer vendors. The home user can probably keep on re-activating windows on multiple machines (as many ppl do)

Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.

Hmmm so this means next time i upgrade i might have to ditch my OEM copy.Luckily i only changed the motherboard a few weeks ago.

not to start a debate here,
    but I truly believe that if you buy a copy of windows for personal use, in your home that you should be able to install it on as many machines as you want as long as they are
    1. personal use.
    2. In the same residence
    3. all belong to you
    4. you have a valid license for that copy.
    5. you are NOT making any money off any of the machines

I have have 9 machines and 9 copies of windows and licenses all for personal use.
    thats abprox $1000 just to run operating systems in my own home.

there is profit
    and there is Greed
    IMHO This is GREED.

Murphy's Law. Not just a theory, but a way of life.

This is not the proper forum for business acumen. Please direct those suggestions to the appropriate authority, M$.

Originally posted by steve_v:
    This is not the proper forum for business acumen. Please direct those suggestions to the appropriate authority, M$.
    I would but Uncle Bill has stopped speaking to me since he found a Linux box in my house.

I hope he didn't write me out of the will.

Murphy's Law. Not just a theory, but a way of life.